1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Martin Jr Needs To Play Over House!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Oct 25, 2021.

1. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

House is making as strong a case as anyone to be benched. At this point, I don't see him doing anything miraculous on the court to justify outside interest. If you keep him on the roster, I'd think it'd have to be for salary matching purposes for a trade deadline deal. Otherwise, you probably just buy him out. Either way, he's probably not here after the deadline and probably shouldn't be getting minutes right now, which will probably happen if he goes another few games doing nothing.

2. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Sadly you do not play House then his trade value drops but recently if you play him then his trade value does not improve either. But this should be no reason to not play Martin over House.

ashleyem and saleem like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was looking at potential trades for EG last night .... there just aren't many salary matches out there among contenders (or anyone else for that matter).
    Any team over the cap acquiring EG is going to have to send out a minimum of $14,475,054.5
    The Rockets could take back as much as $22,873,522.5 but they have no open roster spots to take that back in the form of multiple players.

There's only 1 TPE in the league large enough to take on EG's contract and that belongs to OKC for Adams .... forget that route.

Complicating that is that the Rockets don't appear to have anyone they'd outright cut to make a roster spot allowing the trade partner to piece together the salary required. They'd have to trade a player (or players) and not take back a player to make that happen.
    The only players I could see them trading away to accomplish that are House and or Augustin.

This route is doable in the fact that there are several teams out there who have TPE's large enough to take on either House and 4 that can absorb Augustin.

Teams with a TPE large enough to take in House - $3.894m
    Boston
    Cleveland
    Indiana
    Milwaukee
    Orlando 17m
    Dallas 10m
    Denver
    OKC (4TPE's between 27m-9m)
    Utah

Teams with a TPE large enough to take in Augustin - $7m
    Orlando
    Dallas
    Utah
    OKC

Moving House for no returning player seems easy enough IF that's something they would be open to.

Moving Augustin for no returning player is a little more difficult as the options are really limited and half of the teams able to take him are cellar dwellers. Maybe you could get OKC or Orlando to take his salary into one of their TPE's but at what cost ?
    Would Dallas or Utah have any interest at all in Augustin ?

Then there's the matter of what contenders have players they'd be willing to part with on contracts the Rockets would be willing to take in return ? Piecemeal or otherwise .... adding up to at least $14,475,054.5. but no more than $22,873,522.5.

Maybe Indiana & Toronto if you want to call them contenders - Minnesota & San Antonio have the contracts to make a deal work but they really have no incentive to pull the trigger.

IF Stone can find a way to ship EG out the door this season and not give up any of the young guys , it'll be a minor miracle.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  4. DreamR

DreamR Member

Can we throw a parade in Downtown Houston when House gets traded?

Joe Rocket likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Anyone needs to play over House. Carroll Dawson needs to play over House. Least liked Rocket since Squid Williams and Royce White.

Imanimal likes this.
  6. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

They are probably just trying to get his trade value up by hoping he plays well.

7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I hate when people say this. He is playing like ****. The only thing he's showcasing is why you shouldnt trade for him.

8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I almost typed I would rather see royce white in a Rockets uniform but I threw up in my mouth before I could finish typing lol

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

His trade value is dropping by playing. House has no value. Sit his ass on the bench and we are all better happier people.

AroundTheWorld and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hell yes, regardless of the results, and I bet the results would be good. Nwaba deserves more minutes too. House just probably knows the offense well and helps the young guys, let him do that from the end of the bench like a Udonis Haslem once they understand the offense. KJ should be familiar anyway.

House has gotten comfortable, I don't see any development in his game. Just bench him, his contract is so small it's irrelevant. Throw in for when/if we trade Gordon or Wall.

11. fattz

fattz Member

Maybe it’s to keep Martin out of trades. Martin is on a nothing contract and could sweeten any deal. On one hand we don’t want to give him away, but on the other we are not going to miss out on something by keeping him. EVERY GM should be ask for him in ANY deal made with us. Sadly he is not long for the Rockets because of this, IMO. I really like him, too.

Garuba is the one that should get House 10 to 15 minutes. The future started last week.

Kevooooo and Imanimal like this.
  12. mightybosstone

I'd like to see Martin, Christopher and Brooks all be getting minutes over House, Augustin and Nwaba. It shouldn't be about showcasing players for a trade, IMO. And if it was, why isn't Wall playing?

The Rockets are not going to get any valuable assets for those guys. Maybe some late or protected 2nd rounders at best. They should be playing the best guys on the roster and the players we want to develop and, IMO, those two happen to match up. Martin, Christopher and Brooks are younger, but they also have just flat out played better when they've gotten minutes.

I'm willing to let a few more games play out, but if we're still 10-15 games in and nothing's changed, they need to reallocate those minutes.

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Honestly, and no offense to any House fans on this board, he has no trade value. If he can’t crack this roster, where exactly would anyone want to pay 4 million dollars for him. Only roster that would give him PT is OKC. He MIGHT have a chance to crack their 12. We need to focus on them as a potential trade partner or cut him and let him find a spot in the NBDL or overseas.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

You hate when people use logic instead of screaming at the tv as if we know more than coach? Yah, how annoying.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think Wall has any plans to play at all this year. Look for him at the next game; he's at least 15 pounds over his normal playing weight. He's just getting high and eating while getting paid $90 million. That man is my hero.

16. HeyBudLetsParty

Im sorry but I don’t see what trade value Danuel House can salvage. He’s pretty much the worst rotation player on one of the worst team in the league, can’t think anyone would trade a second round pick for him

AroundTheWorld and Imanimal like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

do the same with ego perhaps even dj augustin and theis......young guys are almost already better than them and need PT for development

fattz likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

even if they eventually do want... the picks value is minuscule in comparison to value PT has for the young guns

fattz, AroundTheWorld and Joe Rocket like this.
  19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

There are 82 games in the season yall! Plus we will obviously be going to the finals so that’s an extra 16 games! Plennnntty of time for development. You can also learn from the bench, seeing what works and doesn’t work, and in the film room. And again, these rotations probably have more to do with potential trades than any player deficiencies.

20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Well I mean if you actually listen to what I said instead of trying to come up with a clever reply thats not clever at all you would understand that its not logical to think that a guy who is playing like ass is raising his trade value, thats actually ridiculous. It would be logical to sit them when they play badly and when you notice they are playing well you play them. You dont play Eric Gordon 30 minutes when he's playing like ass there's no excuse for that.

Imanimal likes this.