1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why hasn't Jalen Green gone to the free throw line yet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Oct 25, 2021.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

On a random note, i was a fan of the Flagrant review for the two-handed wrap up someone on Boston did yesterday. The refs stated that "he was wrapped up in a basketball manner".

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Embiid has gone from 11 free throws a game to 6

Harden from 7 to 3

Lebron only getting 4 a game

Trae Young from 9 down to 6

Lillard only getting 5 a game

If these guys aren’t getting calls, what do u think a rookie is gonna get?

D-rock, ThatboyPhuong, amaru and 4 others like this.
  3. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

What's funny is Muscala is jumping as high as he can and he's still 2ft below where the ball is--this is ridiculous AA.

#23 Shark44, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Jalen's head is literally above the rim on that attempt. He'll be looking down on a lot of defenders.

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Is the nba trying to toughen up/give defense more leeway or is the refs just incompetent?

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

both, but mostly still incompetent…they’ve gone to the extreme end of the spectrum so far

guys getting hacked with no call

Drift Monkey, ThatboyPhuong and amaru like this.
  7. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

The celts had a bunch of touch fouls when they played us yesterday tho

Drift Monkey and Zen Tabak like this.
  8. DreamR

DreamR Member

He's like the opposite of Gordon

Gordon: Gets lightly touched and throws a fit to the refs. Meanwhile, the opposing team scores off a fast break

Green: Gets his face palmed and walks back like nothing happened

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No blood no foul....refs have Jalen Green going thru jailhouse rules
    at both ends of the court. All the opponents are like jailhouse
    snitches. We've all been there, amirite? Rite?

Drift Monkey likes this.
  10. DreamR

DreamR Member

This not being called a foul must be a sign of "White Privilege"

Drift Monkey and Zen Tabak like this.
  11. StevieCrossover

You got to be a star to get calls in the nba. If not you got to cry like kyle Lowry, James,.... etc and cry to ref every play.

12. StevieCrossover

Green needs to be a little more crafty like a james harden to get to the free throw line.

Pump fake it, jump into the player.
    Kick feet out when shooting.
    Flop.

13. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

Keep your ass to the wall and your mouth shut.

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

When Star Players get seriously injured, and Teams have Star are out of games.

The League will go back to calling fouls again. The NBA always have to change rules for some stupid reason.

Harden is not getting Fouls called and is getting the Iverson treatment.

Changing the whole All Star game format.
    Giannis vs LeBron Stupid Draft, Favor Game.

I want East vs West.

The NBA I think is kind of stupid, annoying, corrupt referees, Adam Silver favoring LeBron, Giannis, Curry because of Jersey Sales and Merchandise,

LeBron and Giannis with Nike sponsors on Jerseys and Shoe Deals.

The NBA cares more about money than players getting injured.

I am worried about Jalen Green getting seriously injured by these stupid biased referees. Why are there referees at all.

Do the the referees just want to jog up and down the court and just call turnovers with players getting slapped in the face or getting obvious Flagrant Foul.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Maybe the League wants more 3 pointers and less dunks and layups.

Even Michael Jordan got no calls and got elbowed on the face against Karl Malone.

I think the League wants the 80s but why no hand check is the question.
    Plus why no more post up play in the league.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

University rules, State Pen.....so I hear

Drift Monkey likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I only watch the Rockets' games, but what's going on in other games? Because some of the stuff I'm seeing in Rockets' games, it seems like 80's basketball where machetes need to be pulled out before fouls are called. I thought it was just because we had a bunch of kids and we weren't getting any respect. The one that I still can't believe was on that dunk where he should have ended Muscala's life and Muscala hit clubbed him in the face and slapped him on the head in plain view. That play still bugs me.

Drift Monkey and ThatboyPhuong like this.
  18. amaru

amaru Member

Some of it is also refs reacting to the new rule change. Freethrows are down for the entire league as a whole.

Nook likes this.
  19. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

As we all know, if a player starts their career with three consecutive games of no trips to the free throw line, they are clearly flawed in their approach and beyond repair. There's simply no way now that Jalen has been exposed, that he could ever do something like win an MVP.

Certainly never lead a team to a championship.

Realistically, I have confidence he'll get there eventually as he adds weight and strength, and starts learning all the NBA tricks about how to draw fouls. It actually reminds me a little of Derrick Rose early in his career. In Rose's rookie year, it seems almost impossible with his handle and his athleticism, but he only averaged 3 FTA per game while playing 37 MPG. Rose had such an unbelievable first step, and crazy hangtime, that he wasn't creating contact during his blow bys, and either avoided contact in the air, or produced a decent shot with contact, so it didn't look like a foul. By the time that he was winning the MVP, he'd increased his FTA to almost 7 per game; still pretty low for an elite player, but an indication that it's something that you can develop.

Interestingly, I thought from the summer league games that Jaygup had a ton of potential at drawing fouls; he seems a bit stronger at this stage and his pet moves naturally put the defender in prison, keeping body contact through the entire shot. Jalen seems more prone to crossing guys or using his step back to create massive separation for his jumper. It's almost like each of them got passed down half of Harden's skill set...

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

they’re just not calling a lot of fouls on shot contests not just on the perimeter, but at the rim as well

aside from the guys like Harden, Embiid, Trae, and Lillard that I mentioned, even Jokic has gone down from 5.5 to just 1.5 free throws a game

Luka Doncic is averaging just 4.5 free throws a game in his 1st 2 games

Denvin Booker has gone from 5.9 attempts to 2.7

they are calling nothing