1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How many dunks and layups did that count towards that 46%?

The G-league is tough, because no one plays any defense it is like a glorified pickup league. Hartenstein averaged 20/10 there....

Those numbers are like YMCA numbers, they really just don't count.

His shot is broken - he was a BACKUP on his AAU team - not a starter, a BACKUP - that says to me he was not that great at 16/17.....and that is only 2 years ago.

Sure he is a great athlete, but I prefer SKILLS over athleticism - many GREAT athletes are out of the league - skill and BBall IQ are the keys......his skill is MEH, he seems to have a decent BBall IQ, but IMHO, he is 2-3 years away from being all he can be, IF.....IF .......IF he works his ass off and doesn't get caught up in being a rich 19 year old.

DD

fattz, hakeem94, tycoonchip and 2 others like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If we told him that, we shouldn't have. As of now he's not even a top 5 player on the team. Wood, Tate, KPJ, Gordon, and Sengun are all better than he is.

As of right now, Mobley is a considerably better player than Green and I'm not sure that any unbiased person would even attempt to argue it at this point. If Mobley would never be told that a team was his, why would Green ever be told that?

D-rock likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't know how much of that was layups or dunks; I don't think G League data gets that granular. But layups and dunks count as shots all the same.

In any case, his 3 point percentage on that number of attempts at his age - on an NBA 3 point line - is impressive, at least it is to me. I don't think it's accurate to say he "has never hit his outside shot consistently, ever."

i3artow i3aller and D-rock like this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I just hope if anything the whole gleague thing won't be played up as much as it was for Green.

Mobley to me always had a higher floor than people realized because of his defense and position. I kept saying that, I know others here who kept saying that, that at the very least you are drafting a rim protector and big that can switch out and guard most players. AT LEAST.

Mobley does that today and will only get better at it as the years go on. That's he's good at finishing and has some handle to it?

I think and always thought when looking at these 3 he was the best prospect in the draft and he's showing it now. This doesn't mean I've given up on Green. Maybe all three guys will go on to be multi-time all-stars, we'll see...but Mobley right now is already a useful player on a team while Cade hasn't played (so who knows) and Green just doesn't seem ready.

To Green's credit, I think he has a lot going for him and he could get there. His 2nd game was better than his first so...there is that?

The thing for me is because of their sizes it just makes Green less unique of a prospect than the other two...well, turns out Cade isn't the Jumbo PG he was sold to be...but Mobley in particular, as I kept saying, was more rare as a prospect.

Green is going to have to get completely skilled up to unlock his potential. Good thing he's only 19 and not like 22. If Green improves his handles and his shot he, I feel quite confident in saying this, becomes unguardable. Way too shifty, way too agile, way too quick to stop and the vertical is real. But improving ones handles and shot is no easy task. Definitely not a given.

jiggyfly, amaru, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Mobley definitely looks more NBA ready than I thought he would. Also, Cavs as a team looks like they're better which makes sense they spent in FA. Cavs are helping Mobley out by putting him next to Allen and Markkanen in spurts. As I've said in this thread, I viewed Mobley as a giant wing so it's interesting they are treating him like that in small doses.

#1585 dmoneybangbang, Oct 24, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  6. dmoneybangbang

USC and thus Mobley objectively had a very weak SOS. It was less about G League vs NCAA but the context of each prospect's competition.

tycoonchip and hakeem94 like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

I have never been a Christian Wood hater.

But facts are facts.

And story has NEVER been Wood vs. Mobley.

That is a narrative created by the Mobley haters.

And while I preferred Mobley over Green, I'm still going to preach caution with Green's development.

Starting him with Porter is a mistake.

I want to see Thrilla destroy 2nd units. And give him ALL the minutes he can play without breaking him down.

dmoneybangbang and tycoonchip like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have a problem with starting Green next to KPJ despite the fact that Green hasn't shown himself to be a starting caliber player. Sure Gordon would do better with those minutes than Green, but having Gordon tear up 2nd units boosts his trade value and that's one of the top priorities of the season. I don't think Green is going to "destroy" anyone right now, so I'd rather he humble himself a bit by getting schooled by starters while getting valuable experience. Let him have his "welcome to the NBA kid" moments and he'll be better for it going forward.

He came in cocky as hell talking about winning ROY, he's learning just how much he has to learn.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green is MUCH better than you're painting him out to be, his best is ahead of him.

But facts are facts.

jiggyfly and clos4life like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

His attitude is a positive in my book.

There is no need to humble him and break him down, put him in position to maximize him and build him up more is my advice.

Building up EGo trade value is secondary to developing Green, who is the future of franchise.

And EGo trade value can also be built up as a starter.

Its about creating win-win situations IMO.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think showing a super athletic player like Green that he can't just sit back on his athleticism is valuable. He came in trying to do the same kinds of things that worked for him in the G league and that's why he's been blocked 6 times at the rim in 2 games. The sooner he learns that lesson, the better he'll be.

So I'm not really wanting to "break him down" so much as I want him to focus his development in the right ways.

Also, I'm not really sure Green is the future of the franchise. He'll play a part, but I don't see him as a franchise player, more of a possible support piece one day.

tycoonchip likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not in spurts: That’s their starting lineup. Mobley has played more than half his minutes with those two.

And don’t forget, Love is playing this year, too. So he’s had some playing time with Love and Markkanen.

At the moment, Mobley is a starting PF and backup center.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

And that's exactly how Mobley should be used.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For just now? Or always?

Should we compare him to stretch 4s?

15. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Well jalen green is obviously a better talent than Mobley, I don’t want to start that debate.

but one of the questions is absolutely Mobley vs Wood. Wood was a late bloomer but is more talented and going to be a better finished product than Mobley.

drafting Mobley is giving up on Christian wood and committing to trading him. Wood >>>>

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Even more interesting. I haven't really been paying attention to their lineups but the Mobley, Markkanen, and Allen stood out.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Disagree. Twin towers, both versatile enough to make it work. Hoping JG pans out but not guaranteed he will be the best player in this draft. I believe he will figure it out though.

fattz, D-rock, jiggyfly and 1 other person like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is so unique he could develop into a point center or become a stretch 5.

Until then, he is a disruptive and switchable defender who can do a little of everything on offense.

clos4life and jiggyfly like this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

When did I suggest he did?

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^Guy who regularly compared Vasilis Spanoulis, a career 17% 3 point shooter, to Steve Nash.

Dobbizzle likes this.