1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Astros vs. Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

I mean, he batted 4% for the series. He's historically bad on offense. Yet, I wouldn't want anyone else behind the plate. Tough one. Not that we've got Posey behind the plate as a second choice.

2. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Sorry my mistake. 7%. Lol.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who was that poster that wanted to trade him because he did not like his windup LOL.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I still hate his offense and think Castro is being underutilized.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

And yet Dusty said it was Maldy that changed how to approach The Sox lineup.

I’ll take that trade off anytime.

I think Castro is right where he needs to be. He’s been clutch close and late and that’s how he will most likely continue being used.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

And his initial approach is what got us into trouble in the first place?

4ab for entire playoffs.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/_/name/hou

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Looks like all games first pitch will be at 7:09 CDT, except the Sunday game which will be 7:15 CDT.

arkoe likes this.
  9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Adjustments are important. You’re not happy with how the series went? Isn’t winning EVERYTHING in the postseason?

I get it, but you can’t use him up just in case Maldy gets
    hurt.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I lost my DAD around 1998 or 1999. He died in 2001 about a month after 9/11. Diabetics related dementia had turned him into someone I didn't recognize and who didn't recognize me. The same thing happened with his mother, my grandmother. Now I'm within a couple of years of the same age they were when it hit and I'm scared it's my future.

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Adding to your point, it wasn’t Maldonado’s decision to go with a breaking-ball-heavy strategy to start the series. That was a team-wide decision based on data and analytics. Strom realized it wasn’t working midway through the series and he and Maldonado changed the plan during game 4. Maldonado’s value is in his game calling and his throwing arm and accuracy (the only person that rivals him in that category is Yadier Molina). He’s a large part of the reason why so many of the Astros’ young pitchers have pitched really well the last two seasons, despite losing Cole and Verlander.

I love what Castro has done in big moments offensively, but Maldonado absolutely deserves to be the primary catcher for this team. His play in the 7th inning yesterday was the equivalent of him getting an RBI single. Also, his presence behind the plate causes every team the Astros play to think twice about using the running game to try and manufacture runs in the postseason.

12. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That play was the equivalent of a grand slam given the circumstances.

13. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Anyone else find it odd that Tucker got 0 screen or interview time post game. Dude was responsible for 4 of the 5 Astro runs.

Seemed odd us all.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

In a post game radio interview Lance said Maldy could “not get another hit for the rest of his career” and be worth it for what he does for the pitchers. He also said he was the best catcher he’s ever worked with.

I know that has always been the narrative, but to hear Lance say it with such conviction really drove it home.

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

It is odd, but I also think this team is so stacked that it will happen every game.

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

When this home run happened, I really had my doubts about this series. The Red Sox batters seemed unstoppable. The Red Sox would only score one more run for the rest of the series. Outscored 22-1 from this point on in three straight losses. It’s crazy.

17. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Lance has always been a Maldonado supporter. Last year he said if they win the ALCS Maldonado should be the mvp.

Good thing Maldonado didn't follow Cole to NY.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Thanks, bro.

soxfan01 likes this.
  20. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Watching the Tide roll, and Atanta has already gotten to Ferris.