1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

With a player in his second game you can be critical but at the same time you aren't giving any credit to what he has been doing well or at the very least doing better than what we expected.

His ball handling, ball security and ability to read the the roll man and dish out are better than expected. That is a really good sign. And we've seen him have some amazing moves and saw a taste of his athleticism with a few amazing attempts and finishes around the rim.

And the thing is knowing your post history for the past decade, we all know that you are using hyperbole to trigger people rather than just give a sincere opinion. Like you know everyone here knows this right? You're a middle aged man with a family. Typically that isn't a hobby for someone in your position.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The starting thread abilities for newbs and non contributing bums experiment is over
    @Clutch

3. dmoneybangbang

We should just strip Jalen Green of his titles and lands.

jbond77 likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but he's not doing many things well.

Compare what you've seen from Green to what you've seen from Sengun. With Green, there's a few moments of him being not terrible in a sea of terrible. With Sengun, he just continues to impress all over the court with a few moments of struggling sprinkled in.

That's more of what we should be seeing from Green, "the most NBA ready player in the draft".

There's really not much that he's done that I would consider better than I expected. In nearly every instance he's either as I expected or below expectations.

You claim that I'm using "hyperbole", but yet you don't even attempt to point to an example of it.....and the one poster who did attempt to accuse me of it using a specific example was immediately proven wrong....sort of odd that you'd attempt to push that same debunked narrative so soon after it backfired on another.

It's very transparent that this is nothing but a fairly pathetic attempt to dismiss valid criticism of a player you are desperately trying to hype up rather than giving a sincere opinion.....kind of makes you wonder why you would have adopted that hobby, strange for someone in your position, no?

tycoonchip likes this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Rockets right now, mind focused on the team down the street.

But somebody is really doing this after one game, this may be a new low for clutchfans.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

We have a large enough sample size. Green is a bust! Sell the team!

Tfor3 likes this.
  7. NewAge

NewAge Member

Hyperbole is a crime against humanity, worse than genocide, and perpetrators should be beheaded! :)

8. fchowd0311

Sengun has 9 turnovers in 2 games to Green's one and Green has played a lot more minutes with the ball in his hand a lot more.

But I'm excited about both as both show immense promise. You just are disproportionately nitpicking Green.

I can pretty much predict with great confidence if Green had 9 turnovers in 2 games and Sengun had 1 on more minutes with the ball in his hands more, you would praise Sengun for it and put down Green. That shows your agenda here.

If everything for Green is as expected or worse than I guess you had higher expectations for his ball security and playmaking than me.

9. vator

vator Contributing Member

Based on your response to the poster you quoted, it seemed like you were saying he was blocked 6 times in this game, not 6 times in two games. Whatever the case may be, I was just saying no need to make up stats off the top of our heads to make a point about how bad he has been when at the moment there is plenty of statistical data to lean on that can prove anybody’s point that wants to say he is currently a net negative player overall.

I’m disappointed he didn’t come right out the gate dropping 20, but outside of his shooting, which honestly doesn’t concern me, I’ve been satisfied with what I’ve seen so far. It’s all there. We are just only seeing it in spurts right now. I think he’s already grown handling the ball and passing. The effort is there defensively, he’s just inexperienced.

As always I’m going to call it how I see it though. I have Green on a limited time only grace period right now lol

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, technically 2 turnovers....but he's also been blocked 6 times at the rim and has taken a ton of ill advised shots that are all de facto turnovers.

I cannot imagine that mental gymnastics it must take for someone to even attempt to argue that Green has looked better than Sengun....love is blind I guess.

No worries, I get what the misunderstanding was, I was responding to someone talking about Green's "2 turnovers" in 2 games, so I was pointing out that sure, he technically has 2 turnovers, but if you add in de facto turnovers like him getting stuffed at the rim or when he takes really ill advised shots, it paints a different picture.

To me, I'm a bit disappointed in how horribly inefficient he's been on offense and how lost he's been on defense. I kind of expected some struggles because I never bought the hype, but I was hoping he'd score at least as many points as shot attempts. He's made a few decent passes, but at this point, he really shouldn't have the ball in his hands. There was even a point last night where he needed to be pulled because he went into full chucker mode and it was starting to give the Thunder some life. They sent him to the bench and the Rockets immediately went on a run.

I'm not saying he's a bust or anything like that, it's just that those who hyped him up were VERY wrong about him. He is nowhere near NBA ready....and that's fine, he's super young and not everyone is going to come into the NBA as a 19 year old looking as good as Sengun. So while there's no reason to give up on Green, those pretending that he's looking good are equally as ridiculous as those who are already calling him a bust. I mean, I said he had the highest bust potential of all the top 5 guys in the draft and even I'm not trying to call him a bust just yet.

11. fchowd0311

Being blocked at the rim is the same as a missed shot. You really are stretching to paint him as more turnover prone.

Green has been anything but a chucker. He chooses his spots and unlike Wood, when the ball comes to him, no one assumed the ball isn't going to get out of his hands anymore. He's a very willing passer and surprisingly naviages inside the 3pt line very well for someone I saw struggle with ball handling in preseason.

Again, not a peep about Sengun having 9 turnovers in. Two games on 34 minutes combined playing time.

Here's the thing I never brought it up with Sengun until you are trying to put down Green by praising Sengun. I'm just bringing it up to point to your selective bias on what to criticize and what not to based on your preconceived agenda.

Drift Monkey, Bo6, Joe Rocket and 2 others like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, I just remembered something that likely explains the irrational blind affection for Green that is at play here.

In that case, this is clearly a pointless conversation, carry on.

Hope your kid eventually becomes what you think he already is.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I said before the game in Silas threads that Silas would

1) add more plays; he did. Specifically I said have Sengun handle the ball more in Post Ups and
    on top. Silas did. Versions of the double pin downs and hand offs, weave. Silas did.

2) sub in Armoni and Sengun after 5 minutes to separate Porter and Green so they can
    provide spacing. No Armoni but Sengun/Nwaba came in early (shortly after 5 minutes).
    Porter and Green played less together as I predicted.....by evidence of Green logging in
    25 minutes. I've said in previous threads the goal for Porter is 9 assists and not so
    much scoring. What did Porter get last night? 9 assists.

3) Tate/Wood/Gordon came out hitting 3's, so the spacing became obvious. Thunder
    couldn't camp out in the paint.

It wasn't about getting Green off last night so much as getting Porter going as a
    distributor. You are trying to make it too much about Green. Sometimes less
    is more. That's what I recommended and that's what Silas did. Green
    ended up with a ORtg of 107 and DRtg of 84.

So you can claim "Sugar Coating" a d continue being a "Negative Nancy"
    But I choose to hang on to the positives and ignore your ignorance to
    teaching and learning curves. Eventually you will see Green start getting it
    and differentiate himself from other rookies.

While you are still holding water for Mobley or Suggs or whoever you are rooting
    for. All I know is the Rockets are not in your best interest.....or you just don't
    understand people and basketball.

P.S. in that first game Green and all Rockets were hacked on the wrists as they
    got near the rim. Don't go as turnovers......should've gone as extra points in
    the form of FT's.

I give you the last word. I'm confident Green will do the talking for himself as
    the season goes on and he gets comfortable in his new role.

#353 ApacheWarrior, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Drift Monkey and majicdonjuan like this.
  14. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

When Sengun can stay on the floor for 30+ minutes without picking up excessive fouls and turnovers we'll be in good shape. The amount of nut-huggery for this guy is insane. He's been a very nice surprise but he's struggled in certain areas too. Keep in mind this man has been a pro for years and an MVP in a man's league. He's going to be more advanced than most rookies in a lot of ways, but at the end of the day he still makes a lot of mistakes that young players make.

As far as Green goes, anyone with eyes can see that's he's going to eventually take off. All of the talent is there. I never expected any of the top rookies to necessarily have great seasons as most young players struggle their rookie year in one form or another.

We are lucky to have all of these promising rookies but some are hell bent on denigrating some at the expense of others. They are a team and I'm confident in a couple of years both will be great players, just enjoy the ride and stop complaining every time the guy doesn't drop 30 like you think he should.

15. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Why is anyone expecting a skinny rookie to be any good in his first games of his first season? Is that the norm?

16. Franchise 101

Franchise 101 Member

Toxicity levels stay on a hunned thousand trillion at clutchfans.

17. jman7373

jman7373 Member

Random but I thought he was supposed to be a legit 6'6? I see he is listed at 6'4 now

18. fattz

fattz Member

He sold as the savior, so many have come to be saved.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

The future is so bright. The Thriller experiment is just beginning.

Tfor3 likes this.
  20. MystikArkitect

Green
    Missed shots are turnovers now? The kid looks fine. Not as good as we had hoped he'd look but he has made progress every game. Im thoroughly impressed with him not pressing and making good passes. I did not think he was going to be able to do this as his biggest knock was his tunnel vision. I haven't seen that at all. Once his shot starts falling he's going to put up crooked stat lines. He has an absolutely lethal first step that you can't coach and once he starts to use that to its full potential he'll be a problem. He also tried to kill a guy.

Drift Monkey, Slabhurta3 and vator like this.