1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

I mean fans are going to sip the kool aid and hype him up especially after how he looked in Summer League but realistic fans understand Jalen isn’t really going to break out until he puts on at least 20-25 pounds. That’s the biggest thing holding him back IMO since he can easily be bullied and struggles to finish. Luckily he hasn’t really forced his shots, and seems willing to play within the flow of the offense, I think he’ll find a return eventually find his shot though

Rudyc281, ilias, bmelo and 2 others like this.
  2. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

Honestly I wasn’t against drafting either guy, I was just happy that we kept our pick and that it didn’t go to OKC lol

jayydela, fattz, Rudyc281 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So, is the experiment back on?

Rudyc281 and don grahamleone like this.
  4. Slabhurta3

Slabhurta3 Member

Green will be just fine. Some rookies get drafted by solid teams with great systems where you can just plug them and they look better right off the bat. I'd still take Jalen #1 overall, right now he is rushing his jump shots off screens, his set shots look fine. And he his being indecisive when going to the whole. Thing I notice is he can blow by and get there with ease... just have to be more decisive. On defense he actually tries hard. Contest all shots and runs thru screens.... after years of looking at Harden and even mpj not give they best effort on that side of the ball. The few lil screen plays they have run to get him a open shot have been done weakass screen...defender so close enough to effect his motion which he rushes alot. He had more open shot in summer league which he drained easily and his motion was much smoother. We got something special in him. Look did Kobe come out lighting it up as a rookie his 1st year or 1st couple of games....No. did Garnett...no. he avg like 9pts a game iirc.
    He so inexperienced though right now... dude is a freaking baby. Let him mature a bit, he gone get his revenge on all those trying to bully him right now.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

The near dunk was jaw dropping but I was much more impressed with this bucket.

Smooth.

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yo bro, did you take something mind-altering after the astro win?
    Towns is a major talent, Booker was a nobody, he wasn’t even the best player in KY, he got drafted mid first-round. But Book’s a dog, with mamba-like-mentality.
    JG was a celebrity since high school, he’s got waaay more natural talent than Booker. Mobley looked raw to most analysts…

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I guess the,"Jalen Green vertical leap question was answered"

How high can Jalen Green jump? A whole lotta

Head above the rim......elbow looks like 6 inches above the rim. Geez

Drift Monkey, xaos, NewAge and 3 others like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I can't speak for others

I've always said wait until Green turns 21. Just like as Kobe and MJ turned 21.

When he builds some muscle in the those legs.....and he will build muscle in those legs

Look out league! That's a bad man coming

#309 ApacheWarrior, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Drift Monkey, D-rock, Bo6 and 6 others like this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

He has low floor and highest of ceilings. When guarded by another not bulked up defenders he look amazing but thats not NBA competition. We have to wait till he puts on muscles to see how good can he be

11. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

I look at giannis when he came in to the league. Now look at him.

it will be the same for jalen, he will start showing his true talent as he gets to around 22 years old and grow to be a super star from there.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Josh Giddey’s 1st 2 games

5, 6, and 4 on 31/33/50 shooting splits

I know some of the Green detractors were on his nuts about a week ago

So is Giddey a scrub/bust based off these 2 games? Just asking for a friend…

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Give it a month. He'll be the GOAT by then.

14. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Mobley is playing a lot of minutes, which will negatively impact his efficiency.

According to pre-draft banter, Green should have been obviously better coming out of the gate. He hasn't been. Changing expectations, I see them both becoming good players as soon as this year.

D-rock and harold bingo like this.
  15. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

OKC 44 Rox 69 0.35s remaining in the 2nd:

Fan yells, "Let Jalen iso!"

Experiment: ON

Rudyc281 and i3artow i3aller like this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That shotput jumper of his isn't pretty

D-rock and GotGame15 like this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

day to day

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, the dribble is too high and looks a bit unsure… A bit of a Corey Brewer vibe, TBH.
    We need to get him in situations where it’s one-two dribbles and explosion. That’s what impressed my the most in his pre-draft highlights, the ability to explode in traffic. That’s a very rare and extremely valuable skill.
    I have to admit, I don’t watch G-league. Some observer pre-draft (I think Russillo) said: If you go by highlights it’s Green, if you go by full games it’s Mobley.
    Well, I don’t watch full games, so now I can see how highlights can be misleading.
    Nevertheless, if we get him in a ‘highlight” position where he’s a bit closer to the basket when he starts his move, everyone will benefit IMO

D-rock likes this.
  19. i3artow i3aller

I feel like Jalen has taken a rather cerebral approach to his first two games. He's picking his spots and figuring out where his points will be coming from. Some only see the blocked attempts. I view an incredibly young player testing what they can and can't get away with at this level. He's also flashed some playmaking chops which has been a nice sight to see so early on. Sure his shot hasn't been falling for him, but I'm not overly concerned about his ability to shoot the ball. Given a larger sample size I'm sure those percentages will eventually even their way out.

Sooner or later the game is going to slow down for Jalen Green and once it does he's going to be a problem for the rest of the league. His handle still needs a lot of work, but I trust JG to figure it out. Silas no doubt already has him working on Curry's old dribbling routine. It's scary to think of just how quickly he could develop given his penchant for being a gym rat.

#319 i3artow i3aller, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

everything about his game just looks weird to me from his shot to the way he dribbles

D-rock likes this.