1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenyon Martin Jr in DogHouse?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gfab-babyboi, Oct 22, 2021.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Haven’t seen him playing much at all …He’s clearly better than Nawaba

BigggReddd, burlesk, Ramo$e and 4 others like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don’t get it at all.

BigggReddd, burlesk, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Don’t know but Silas can’t afford to have anyone in the doghouse right now

BigggReddd, burlesk, Ramo$e and 7 others like this.
  4. juanming

juanming Member

No he isn't in the doghouse what you're seeing is Silas cares more about winning then he does developing the young players

not even watching the game just checking the box score we are up by 30 points in the fourth quarter and Brooks Matthews in Martin have not even seen the court

And again it's nwaba Augustin house. I mean I'm happy for the win but this is just sad. Up by 30 points and he still doesn't trust the young players

Dude Silas bro, we are rebuilding there's no point going for wins. we need a good draft pick we need to develop younger players. Whatever

Beyond frustrating. the only two positive things that will come out of the season is a good draft pick and developing young players

If you're going to keep winning games playing the vets then you are not going to develop young players you're not going to get a good draft pick . It's that simple

joshuaao, Bo6, Rudyc281 and 4 others like this.
  5. juanming

juanming Member

Thank you

I was beginning to think I'm the only one on this board that actually wants to develop young players

saleem, BonziWellsGOAT and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

I was just about to make a thread, thanks. Is there any reporting on him not being on the rotation? I haven't been keeping up with the day to day news

7. VoR

VoR Member

Who knows what's going on today, but KMJ is obviously liked by this staff and loves being in Houston. I wouldn't sweat it.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

in fact silas may be tanking, because i think KMJ contributes more to winning than nwaba and house

9. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Okay, here's the problem. I just checked DARKO—huh, can't put in a screen shot? Okay, just check it out:
    https://darko.app/
    Under Team type hou
    DARKO projects Nwaba's Defensive DPM as best on the team and way better than any wing by far.
    So Silas is doing a "hard to develop them if we're losing by 50 every night," thing?

groovemachine and burlesk like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He should be playing ahead of NWaba for sure....he is a better shooter, rebounder, and finisher......

And I like NWaba, but we should trade him...

DD

Bo6, Rudyc281, PeterKingX and 3 others like this.
  11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think what the FO has to do between now and the trade deadline is give House and EG minutes to keep up their trade value, and Martin is just a casualty of that process. I'm not sure how much value House has to begin with at this point, but maybe they feel like a team will value him if they need a veteran 3 to shore up a position where they've had an injury or something (who knows, a second round pick or even 2nd for late first pick swap scenario could be in play), and it's tough to sell that value for a guy who doesn't even see the floor. House doesn't cost much so he has the advantage of being attractive to teams with an already high payroll looking to fill a void.

For EG, I think the team moves him when any deal comes along to a contender that doesn't require them giving up assets to move him or taking on a worse contract. He's tougher to move because of salary, and it's not easy to move a guy at his age and skill level making 19M this year and next year. Most teams that would go after him would be looking for him to play a bench role, and that's just a lot to pay a bench player. I think a realistic move here is Gordon for Ingles. Ingles is expiring so we can buy him out. Gordon goes to a contender, and Ingles doesn't start anymore so his value has been drastically reduced as it is, and I'm not sure the Jazz value him that much anyways, plus Gordon gives them scoring and another ball handler off the bench. Plus, Gordon's younger than Ingles so there's that.

That's what I'm seeing and probably explains why KJ isn't getting the minutes he deserves.

groovemachine and burlesk like this.
  12. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

You see the Voulgaris tweet yesterday? Said that Silas was in fact the OC for Mavs and thinks he's a great coach. I don't know how to judge a coach when his team is full of kids who–because they're kids–suck. But I take Voulgaris' scouting seriously. It's two games. We'll see.

groovemachine, burlesk and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

Yeah, so this is something I'm curious about, EG same as Nwamba, does it mess up guys' development everyone on the floor sucks? Is it good to have Nwamba out there to shout out this and that, tell guys where they need to be? And EG, when he spots up from 26 away waiting for the pass, isn't that giving Green and KPJ space (literally) that is helpful for their development and confidence? Green's handle is pretty bad, and he can use all the space he can get.

For at least the first 10 games or something, I'm content to defer 100% to Silas unless he does something insane.

groovemachine likes this.
  14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hard disagree. He can clearly jump higher than Nwaba. But he probably can't do one other thing better than Nwaba.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cmon playing time for the young is more valuable than whatever scraps you can get for all of the vets...this is the way ruin a very good young player

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he can do many things better than nwaba... for a starter hes a better 3pt shooter

Bo6, saleem and DaDakota like this.
  17. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

KJ is also a better shooter than Dave

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have been very unimpressed with him as a basketball player. His athleticism is jaw dropping but he seems to muck it up every time he has to make an actual basketball play.

Ramo$e and hakeem94 like this.
  19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Having 10M+, maybe even 20M extra in cap space going into next offseason is not "scraps," nor is another pick or possibly moving up 5-10 spots in the next draft. Asking KJ to wait 30-40 games in what will hopefully be a long career with the team to get a consistent 20+ mpg is not a long wait in order to accomplish that and is completely reasonable.

20. DCSLaw99

DCSLaw99 Member

I agree that KJ should play more. Even Shenggun. Although my objective in playing them more is not for purposes of tanking but for winning.

Ramo$e, hakeem94 and saleem like this.