1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Team Identity - and proper development practices - too many like players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 21, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

I decent assists game, not even a good assists game, and Green is now a PG.

CF is insane.

The knee jerking is ridiculous.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I don’t understand why you picked Tate to be a “vet” that’s not “good enough” while KMJ is part of your development. Tate has proven he can ball. In my opinion he needs to be starting at the 3 not Gordon. Sitting on the bench is limiting his potential. Fact is Rockets just aren’t big enough. There’s not long 3’s, big 4’s or 5’s as I mentioned before. If anyone has ever played basketball in their life they know height matters. Length matters. Bulk matters. Rockets were man handled against the wolves. The defense was porous and no bigs to clog up the paint a la Capela. Too small. Too weak. Stone is replicating Morey’s dumb philosophy in playing smaller 4 and 5s that have stretch ability. That doesn’t work In this league. Warriors are bigger. Suns are bigger. Hawks are bigger. Nuggets are bigger. It’s very simple. Garuba, Sengun etc just aren’t big and physical enough. And Gordon isn’t a 3.

As much as people hate on House he can play defense, he can get out there and run. He’s just not consistent enough on offense. Wood and KPJ simply aren’t good enough and Green is developing. Who knows what these main 3 are going to develop into but let’s hope they will be something great in this league.

#22 Stephen_A, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I think you are over thinking it. You’re right G league is for development. But NBA is about results. Can a guy play or not? What is the product you’re putting on the court? Do we believe this player will become something given the opportunity. The rockets are a transitioning team and it takes a while for teams to grow and become something. This is virtually year one with this core together as last year was mired with harden drama and vets leading like wall and victor. Look at the suns from just 2-3 years ago they had a very young nucleus that included ayton bridges and Booker and it took them a couple years to trim their roster add a couple of draft pieces and vets and gave them a finals appearance. But it took several years before that until Booker was surrounded with more talent. KPJ might not be that talent. Wood or green may not be either. It’s ok. It is what it is. We are still developing and growing and it’s not an overnight process. Let’s pray our Guys become something. But it comes down to a matter of talent- guys being able to play or not. Simple.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Four of your backups are players you want to see moved. If the talent is so close from top to bottom, why not put the keepers into those backup roles for the sake of chemistry.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is where they go when we trade off the backups....

DD

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I get that but you have frittered away part of a season that could have been used for developing chemistry.... if the talent level is close.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think he's looking more ar the turnovers of 0 vs 9. But ya it's only one game.

8. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I agree a bit, You might need trade some of these young 4 pieces for 1 good peice. I mean as is this team is the worse in the league. I mean it seems like there missing 1 good player, who can lead this team. Jalen and Kpj, might take 2-3 years just to get to where they need to be. Right now you need somebody to come here and take the pressure away from them but in the same token not ruin there development.

Right now they have nobody developing the small foward role. So you need to go out there and find somebody who can come in threw trade and solify this team. They need scoring and somebody who can help them lock down on defense to.

Bagley and Heild. Would you move Wood, Gordon, Martin and Christopher for them? Works on the trade machine.

Sac might bite on this trade. Rockets 4-2 trade would get the roster moving. I think right now you need 2 guys who can score and play big league ball. Bagley and Heild could move this team up while segun,green and kpj develop. This would let Segun get more time. Bagley is just as capable as Wood.

Like i said this is what the rockets need to find. They have to many young peices.

9. MystikArkitect

Pretty much. We should all be hoping for Banchero. Wood is as good as gone and Sengun is probably best as a Point-Center like Jokic. The big question this season, for me at least, is if KPJ can actually learn to play the 1. If he can, then the Rockets should trade *whatever* (outside of Sengun/Green/Tate/KPJ) to get Banchero.

Groom Sengun, Green and maybe KPJ and let's hope for lottery luck.

Milos likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Giving up on Tate right now is stupid after his performance last year. Why should we sprinkle Augustine in? He is no longer a useful NBA player. I’d rather give Nwaba, Brooks or Matthews a shot over house. We already know what House is, Where is Theis? He is definitely our bench C even though I hope Garuba gets more and more action.

11. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

KPJ is a PG??? lol......Look Doofy Rock this is not a knee jerk I've been saying this for a while like before pre season and during. It's not that KPJ can't do it even though he been looking like a lame duck out out there. It's doesn't hurt to try different rotations with young players. STOP trying to force something that doesn't work most of the time. KPJ would make a nice 3, right in front of House on the depth chart. This would allow JC to back up JG. Green needs reps bringing it up too...he had butter fingers during pre season. What happens if KPJ gets hurt??? We going with our old short point guards? Augustine?

I get your sentiment, but you chose the wrong post to call a knee jerk doofy. I know with Harden gone it's hard to not have some nuts to hang on to. It's better to just try and stay neutral for the team sake. Go Rockets!

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Seguin and Garuba are excellent rebounders and defensive bigs. If you want to make an argument that Tate is too small for PF or C fine. I could agree. He is fine as a bulky SF if he can make 3’s. I would like a bigger better banger than Wood or Theis, but we may have to wait for that. Seguin should be starting right now and our defense and rebounding will improve immensely.

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

You were wrong about Harden.

And you're still wrong.

For all his inexperience, Porter is still the teams best PG not named John Wall.

ONE game dumbass.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agree. KPJ is going to be a good pg.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There is no chemistry to throw a wrench into. They haven't had enough time playing together to develop any. If you mean it will slow down developing future chemistry, that might be.

While you, me and the media might agree we have the worst lineup in the NBA, not so sure the players would agree with that. They might in a couple weeks if the losses pile up though.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Other than Wood and Gordon and MAYBE Theis - I don't think there's a single player that would make the rotation of a contending team today. House, Nwaba, Augustin etc are just replacement level players or even worse.

Green is a great prospect but too....green; he'd be struggling for minutes on most teams, 2 pick or not; same with Sengun.

Porter Jr maybe but he needs the ball in his hands a lot and I don't see a team with legit title hopes handing him the keys for long stretches when they presumably have a Giannis or Durant or LeBron to do so.

I think top to bottom (right now, as opposed to prospective/future value, can't really expect the 19-year olds to move the needle today) - we're still the worst.

Actually, I think if you totaled up some measure of average player quality relative to league average player quality quality - there's a solid case that last year's Rockets in terms of minutes actually played on the floor (by the record number of players) was one of the worst in NBA history.
    There's no precedent for the amount of roster turnover they had last year, and the whole "sign random dude off youtube and put him in the rotation" was something new.

DaDakota and Ramo$e like this.
  17. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Wrong about Harden about what? Morey made the decision to make him a PG because we were lacking elsewhere. That was supposed to be a patch fix. Harden should have never had the ball as much as he did. Every other game Harden was a turnover machine too. I know it's one game it's good to keeps options open. Harden never got a breather, never wanted to play off ball so he flamed out in the end. Disappeared really. Now if that's because he was tired I don't know but he should know basketball enough to know he needs to be present in key moments. If that mean telling coach things should be mixed up instead of a heavy dose of Harden iso's he should have been the bigger player and done that. Because MDA and Morey's square were going to ride Harden til' wheels fell off. You get it but you don't. Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should. Like when Dream was asked why he didn't 3's. He said it was because that's not what the team needed. Not that he couldn't do it.

It never made sense to run Westbrook at the SG and Harden at the PG. In this universe or the next. Playing them that way goes against their skill sets. CP3 could get away with it because even though he was short he could shoot!

#37 Ramo$e, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  18. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

We will see. Right now Gordon is a better PG. lol I have no doubt he will be great. Why does he have to be a great PG, when he's just a great player in general at any position. You guys tweaking for a left handed PG like Tyronne Biggums??

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, I see your point, I am fine with that as well.....

DD

giddyup likes this.