1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Simmons getting a new zip code?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vator, Jul 13, 2021.

1. foh

foh Member

With LOTS of teams mentioned as interested, he'll garner his fair value given time - that's how a healthy competitive market works. He only has to buckle down for a bit and play (or fake some slight injury and sit). If he is really having serious mental issues, then his value will definitely drop. Especially given his recent in-game mental struggles. He should be wary of going down that rabbit hole if he wants to be treated as a superstar.

And to you other point on here about feeling betrayed for being put on the block: the guy doesn't get to be offended in this league for that. Only players that have potential to be top 20 in their prime or ARE top 20, get to use that card in NBA. He has not shown such potential as many here have tried to point out.

He seems to know it too - I haven't seen his camp use that excuse for wanting to force a trade.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's his word against theirs. He has certainly not been good about this, but either way, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt slightly. Doesn't mean I think he should get paid. I also think he is handling this terribly.

Whether he needs a therapists (real mental issues) or needs a real figure to put him in place (being childish, immature), I hope he gets his **** together. This is pretty stupid now.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Embiid already has knee soreness…

good Lord

DreamShook likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

TheRealAllpro, Jayzers_100 and J.R. like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Like I keep saying, borrowed time. Morey is going to have to pull his head out of his at some point and stop demanding the world for Simmons. John Wall is a damn good player, just take him off our hands, we can deal with the Ben Simmons problem. You can have our 2023 Milwaukee Pick and call it good. Not that I want Ben, but whatever.

JayGoogle likes this.
  6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Lol Morey ok. An unmotivated Simmons is really going to increase trade value.

IMO his value now is about what it will stay.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Philly and Brooklyn disfunction really keeping me alive at the moment, lol

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey being an idiot running to radio shows to throw more gasoline.

GotGame15 and NewAge like this.
  9. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Might as well just fire Doc Rivers and try to repair the relationship between Embiid and Simmons.

Nook and JayGoogle like this.
  11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

he shot below 50% when it counted last year. He cannot be relied on to win playoff games. There’s a difference between Ben Simmons in the regular season and on paper and what you get in a postseason

12. steddinotayto

this didn’t help either

bulkatron and GotGame15 like this.
  13. PatBev

PatBev Member

Ben Simmons is going to be made the example of how owners are going start handling these stars who sign 4-5 year maxes and want out after a year

The owners are going to **** the players on the next CBA. These billion dollar owners aren’t going to keep letting players finesse them of 100+million

Unless you’re harden, kd, lebron, mvp caliber, these owners are going to start showing players what happens when you don’t show up to work and get a reality check.

I kinda hope Morey holds on to his word. Rich Paul about to look real ****ing dumb

14. TimDuncanDonaut

Change of perspective, do you think the general public believes Simmon's claim.

And if Simmons and 76ers go to arbitration, who do you think will win?

#734 TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Great post - please post your ignorance more often, Kyrie.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

How much of a difference player is Simmons with countless CD-DNPs (or whatever the excuse will be). If I'm Embiid, I'm going to have to have a talk with Morey. "You're wasting my prime years. Role players > nothing which is what Ben brings to the 76er's table. Ben will never return to anywhere close to expectations for us. And we need all the help we can get to beat the Nets and Bucks".

You're not going to ever get market value for a player that wants out - ever. And with the mental warning flags and a contract like that for that long make it very hard to find a trade partner. The risk is high for most partners that they would be trading something of value for someone that might shutdown on them (CLE, SAC, etc). IMO - Darryl missed the window of trading him. I doubt you're going to find anyone that will give you more than what your offers were last month. And you think him sitting for 4 years is going to drive up the price to get someone back a difference maker player? Come on DM - you're smarter than that.

JayGoogle and NewAge like this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You guys act like a person who is already a multi-millionaire, is not going to be able to afford 4 years without a check. Trust me, Simmons' lifestyle may be impacted but that is nothing compared to the Sixers as an org having $30/mil tied up in Simmons that prevents them from making other roster moves while Embid is in his prime. Morey can say he isn't joking that this situation may last for 4 years, but if that is true then he is greatly underestimating the patience of management and fans watching a star player in his prime waste away while the roster is missing $30mil of production sitting at home.

The Sixers have several options to get rid of Simmons - they don't like those options, but how are they ever supposed to get anywhere close to top value back for Simmons when they continue to pour gasoline on Simmons when they know he is going to act a fool and further hurt his trade value. It's a stupid loop that will continue to reflect negatively on the asset they are trying to maximize....and as I mentioned a few pages back, player/GM battles are bad business in general because even if only a handful of players decide they won't play for Morey/Sixers, then it continues to impact their ability to surround Embid with the best players. As frustrating as Simmons may be as a player, there are still a relatively small number of players better than him and if let's say 15% of them don't want to play for the Sixers that puts the whole organization at a competitive disadvantage relative to all the other teams.....it's the same reason as a manager, even if you are in the right, you don't yell at a bad customer in front of the whole restaurant because that likely means some percentage of people in the restaurant witness to that won't return. They won't bother to get to the bottom of the real situation - they just won't return, or won't pick up your calls in free agency as the case may be.

JayGoogle and NewAge like this.
  18. steddinotayto

At this point I don't know if he is, not because he's holding onto Simmmons but because the situation won't get better until he tell Doc Rivers to chill or GTFO. You have a front office that says they want Simmons back and playing with the team but then you have the head coach basically not wanting anything to do with him.

ArtV and JayGoogle like this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Don't exclude Morey out of this. He's the one talking lots of crap

ArtV, JayGoogle, NewAge and 1 other person like this.
  20. steddinotayto

For sure he's not an innocent party here by any means and the fact that he didn't learn anything from the fiasco after Game 7 (Doc's response re: championship point guard material) and make sure he and the coach are aligned--at the very least, publicly--is weird.