1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Buck Turgidson

T-34 is a very very fun Russian WWII tank movie, subtitled but there's not much important dialogue thus it's easy to follow even if you don't like reading movies

NewRoxFan likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Just started the Harry Potter franchise. 2 more to go. Not bad at all.

No Worries and STR8Thugg like this.
  3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

It gets darker and darker with each movie

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Shang-Chi was a lot of fun. Glad I saw in the theater. Silly third act but who cares, its a popcorn movie.

Minari was good but not best picture. I was happy to see Glenn recovered from his bat wounds to become a farmer.

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

The toy

Richard Pryor.
    It holds up ok but a bit slow overall. There is this subplot of the kkk that doesn't make much sense except for an excuse to have a pie fight. This must have been peak pie fight slime on head era as I remember this same gag with nickelodeon and Benny hill.

Richard pryor does a good job and he is a likeable guy. Same with Jackie Gleason. The idea of a rich kid having a human toy is funny. They might have been able to do more with the story but it's not about that and best part is seeing Richard Pryor in a spiderman costume. I wonder how coked up he was.

5/10

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slyonebluejay and IBTL like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Watched Back to School recently, still awesome

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Haha
    Going to watch brewsters million next

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Caveman is for free on Youtube now.

Slyonebluejay and IBTL like this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Been watching this sporadically while working today. Go to minute 42:00. This sounds a lot like the Ewok celebration song at the end of ROTJ. Caveman came out 3 years prior.

11. Buck Turgidson

Just watched it.

It's no way similar at all.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Specifically around 44:06. La la la la la! Very similar to yub nub.

IBTL likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The Forgotten Battle (Netflix) - 8 out of 10. Best war movie I have seen since 1917. Dutch film about the little known but critical battle of Scheldt, the low lying areas around the Netherlands held by the Germans even after the Allies had successfully regained control of parts of Europe after Normandy. My wife sometimes had a bit of trouble following the story (it is really a few stories that eventually converge) the various parts worked really well for me. The young woman playing the sister of one of the resistance fighter does a great job and the battle scenes are harrowing in much the same way as Saving Private Ryan and 1917.

Buck Turgidson and GRENDEL like this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Finally watched Tenet 8-10, my 2nd most enjoyable Nolan movie no lulls and you did not need to rewind a lot to figure what was going on, Something about the ending I still did not quite get (The gun at the locked fence) and the way Pattinson knew what was gonna happen.

Denzel's son has a really bright future, he really stepped his game up, the best part of the movie.

He needs a franchise like Bourn.

I know this is sacrilege but would love to see him as Black Panther, Maybe he could be an illegitimate son?

15. TheresTheDagger

I watched it too. Worth watching although the story seems disjointed for much of it...at the end, the story lines come together. At the same time, there is a lot that takes place in the film that really has nothing to do with the battle or really even the story being told. Kind of felt like there was a lot of filler.

Still, I will state that there is a scene that is something I've never seen portrayed in a WWII film before...namely a glider attack and it's RIVETING. Probably has a lot to do with knowing my own dad was a glider trooper in WWII. The guys that did for real had balls.

16. lpbman

lpbman Member

Youtube has quite a few good movies in the free section in case you guys missed it. Could tide someone over while they switch between hulu and netflix or whatever.

Weekend at Bernie's
    The Core
    Romeo + Juliet
    Planet Hulk
    Jingle All The Way
    Legally Blonde 2: Red, White And Blonde
    A Night at the Roxbury
    Nacho Libre
    T-34
    Body Of Lies
    The Great Debaters
    Legally Blonde
    Hotel Rwanda
    Failure To Launch
    Once Upon A Time In The West
    The Legend of Bagger Vance
    Idiocracy
    Dead Poets Society
    Seabiscuit
    True Grit (1969)
    Delirious
    The Delta Force
    Congo
    Stargate
    Get Shorty
    Teen Wolf
    UHF
    Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
    Zodiac
    Ip Man: The Final Fight
    Patriot Games
    Ronin
    Of Mice and Men
    The Cutting Edge
    The Patriot
    The Wraith
    Thelma & Louise
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

Small curated list, and there are a few I haven't seen but I'm just guessing they're watchable like ip Man and legally blonde sequels and some I haven't seen since I was a kid like the Wraith, Weekend at Bernies, and Teen Wolf, so I dunno if they hold up.

Filmrise movie channel on Youtube has Donnie Darko, Momento, Rampart, An American Werewolf in Paris, and this is where the last movie goes... because I used "and"... but those are the only ones I've heard of on filmrise channel.

IBTL, ryan_98, jiggyfly and 1 other person like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Found (Netflix) - 10 out of 10. Documentary following three teenage Chinese orphan girls that were adopted by American families. The three girls find out they are cousins, but the bond between the girls and their families is much stronger. With the assistance of a woman in Beijing who acts as a genealogical "detective", they look for the places they were found, where they were orphans(including the "nannies" that cared for them there), and for their biological parents culminating with a trip to China.

jiggyfly and Amiga like this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Brewster's million
    Richard Pryor

As you start to look at Richard Pryors work you recognize the real reason you watch is more to see Richard Pryor play himself in funny situations.

I much more prefer Richard Pryor playing richard Pryor than marky mark playing marky mark.thats for sure!

In this case instead of being a news reporter as in the toy he is a pitcher for minor league team. This formulaic subplot more haunts the story then helps it.

But the idea of having to spend lots of money is fun. Seeing John candy reminds me I need to get back to planes trains and automobiles one of my favorites.it has been a while.
    In Brewsters million you see classic 80s behavior as Pryor relentlessly hits on the female lead role accountant assigned to keep his expenses down.
    The ending abrupt and overall a decent flick but felt like could have done more again somewhat blah too..
    I wonder if John candy did nose candy with Pryor? probably thinnest I had seen candy

5/10

Mommiest dearest
    Faye dunaway

I am a big fan of angry nut bag chicks and why I once considered dating an arsonist.
    This movie is an off the chain example of a total nuts woman and all that goes with it.
    The basic premise is that this is an inside look at family life with a famous actress Joan Crawford.
    As it turns out she has severe anger issues and has these kids she has adopted. It's child abuse as she spends the whole movie raging. You can't watch it seriously and more have to view it as dark comedy. In that aspect Faye dunaway is really great.

I won't spoil it but basically she will go nuts on these kids and beat them for no reason. Ebert doesn't like the movie and rates it low but he is wrong and misses the point. The whole point is for her to go nuts for no reason. It's why I think this woman is awesome at a safe distance on a tv and I like this movie quite a bit.
    It was an accidental watch recommended
    7/10

On to some of the recommendations from cf next

Slyonebluejay and GRENDEL like this.
  19. marky :)

marky :) Member

Dune - 9/10

I never read or had a clue what Dune was about so maybe that's why I liked it so much. Can't wait for the future movies and my only regret is I watched it at home instead of the theatres.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

47 Meters Down 5/10 - It was hard to watch due to the darkness of the caves, and expected more awe inspiring discoveries as they travel though the caves into remote areas, but was laughing at the end when after escaping all of the sharks for 2 hours straight they end up swimming to a boat that was chumming the water. Hilarious.

Train to Buhsan - 6/10 - Not sure I agree with the masses on this one. What I did like was when they had to get back on the train and ride with zombies to make it to safety. That was ironic. However, they could have easily lured the zombies off the train before boarding again. And the scene where three of them fight their way through one of the passenger areas was unrealistic. And then found it hard to believe that everyone in the last group of riders would fight so hard to keep the small group out. That said, did like how zombies swarmed inside the train. Would have ended movie when they got on the last train, but not knowing who was driving it. Mysterious bum dude on the train was underutilized. He had a story.

Vivarium - 3/10 The commentary on life and marriage was strong, what it's like to live with yourself, and what it's like to be confined with a partner, and children, however, they really dragged it out without getting anywhere interesting. And it was painful to watch that for 2 hours without getting a chance to breath in the science fiction aspect of it.

#9460 PhiSlammaJamma, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Deckard likes this.