1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nailed it.

Sengun who is the youngest player on the team and not a guard was the best ball handler yet again.

That's partially due to him being good but mostly due to our guards playing like garbage

CXbby and BossHogg713 like this.
  2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

LOL I love Sengun, he’s the best rookie so far. The way he sees the game is far more advanced than our other rookies. That being said, saying he was the best ball handler last night is a reach. He isn’t tasked with the same responsibilities as our guards. He’s our best passer last night, but you’re just going way out of your way to discredit Green, who has been criticized for needing to work on his handle pre-draft. I was encouraged by what I saw despite the clusterfu$?! of an offense we have.

cheke64, Verbal Christ and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

i wish he was picked much lover than #2 by rockets that way there won't be the pressure and crititizm like this on him

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The over/under on bobbythegreat making negative hyperbolic statements about Green is 1850o/u in the next decade. He is currently at 97 already so the people that bet the over are looking really good already.

Every comment always comes with the disclaimer that he is just stating facts and is truthful. Along with of course if you disagree with him you are stupid and /or ignorant. So enjoy those posts the next several years.

My disclaimer is watch for subtlety moving goal posts that will be indeed be coming as he adjusts his position to the point that no matter what Green does it will never be great enough for Mr Bobby.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. I'd add Rip Hamilton and Reggie Miller to that list. Some guys just don't have that frame but they still add strength and learn to do what they do at the level they want to do it. I hope he's better than Rip, but if that's the worst case scenario I won't be mad. Rip could play.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Goal posts moving again.

Green was not drafted 2nd overall to be a playmaker you moron.

And if Green's ball handling impressed you so much then Mobley's ball handling must have made you poop your pants.

Green will improve but he will never be a PG.

Rockets drafted him based on his prolific scoring potential.

mikenm268, NewAge and palmsnbananas like this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Member

I heard we can do a 3 way deal that gets us Stanley Roberts. Get it done Steve Patterson!

topfive likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

No way that happens, Green was a consensus top 3 pick.

And as such, he needs to take good with bad.

Green will be fine, especially mentally. No need to coddle him.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No pressure. There's plenty of busts at no.2 in recent years, thabeet, turner, parker, mkg, Darko list goes on and on

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jalen knows what it is. I expected some craziness but today is like a new holiday for CFans. Pretty impressive.

RedRedemption and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

YOU criticizing someone else for trolling a Rockets player is the epitome of hypocrisy.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I was not surprised.

Defense, strength/slight frame, length, shot efficiency were all areas of concern pre-draft.

But most importantly I was concerned with his fit alongside Porter.

Once the pick was made however, I have been preaching patience.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley was not supposed to play well this early.

And like Green, he will only improve.

So don't hold your breath.

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I agree, thus far. I thought I saw enough vision and playmaking in KPJ last year to buy into the idea of making him a full time PG but I think we need to give him a few more games at least. Learning to play PG on the fly with this offense (or lack there of) has an added challenge. That being said, Green does need the ball, he had a couple of nice sequences last night and I feel a true experienced PG would have gotten him the ball back but instead KPJ and Wood were taking their own turns. I don't think this offense works when you have so many young players, we need more structure. This offense works when you have a stud offensive player like Harden, Luka, etc. and we clearly don't have one yet.

NewAge and D-rock like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

sounds like he has been humbled.. the bravado is gone after a couple preseason games and the opener. hope his confidence didn't take a hit.

mikenm268, Nook and NewAge like this.
  16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Silas needs to get him some better shots. Dude is having to force difficult stepbacks and driving into the lane with 3 people. Part of that is his decisionmaking, but he also doesn't have much to work with. We saw that all summer league and preseason. There's no way he can sustain his shooting when out of the 12+ shots he puts up, only 2-3 are good ones.

D-rock likes this.
  17. NewAge

NewAge Member

Such a silly thread. I wonder if the OP is trolling or is getting mixed-up with another #2 pick, Bagley. THAT experiment seems to be over at least in SAC.
    Writing off JG now is as dumb a take as the "I'm not worried at all about JG” take or the ”It's too early to evaluate anything" take...

Players are evaluated constantly since high school now, so the "It's too early to evaluate anything" take is dumb, BUT that doesn't mean you can make simplistic verdicts like, "It's over"... The analysis we can make now can only be nuanced and full of contingencies, like "if he can develop this and this, his ceiling would be this and this, if he doesn't develop that and that, his floor will be that and that".

"The I am not worried at all about JG" take is as dumb as the "It's over" take. How can you not worry? There is a distinct probability that he's a total bust, he hasn't shown anything. There is a lot to worry about, but that doesn't mean that he won't turn out great at the end.

For me personally, everything since the beginning of training camp has been disappointing, not only games, but interviews, demeanor etc. I think the "bust" possibility is tangible, about as tangible as the "superstar" possibility. That's a huge come-down from the draft hype. However, the Minny game didn't add anything negative, in fact there were some small positive glimpses for me. To declare after this game, "It's over" is quite silly.

Junebball, CXbby and Jayzers_100 like this.
  18. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I’m not upset with Jalen or anyone on this organization. I’m channeling my anger toward that farce of a league called the Gatorade league.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

He was the most aggressive guy on the offense. His confidence did not take a hit. I appreciate the honesty from him and its good that the NBA "humbled" him - happens to almost every single rookie early in their career(s).

The per game flip flops around here are going to be the stuff of legend this season. Im here for it.

DreamShook likes this.
  20. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

He has the potential, but he needs to calm down and use his athletic advantage in game.

Also, he needs to be more assertive. And lastly, our coach must let him play if he starts to get it going. Last night, after those 2 layups in the 1st quarter, you could see him getting in a flow, becoming more active, and fired up...And what does the coach do? He promptly yanks him to the bench, instead of letting him finish the quarter.

If we are going young and developing players, we should let them play through mistakes and push them more when they "crack" the attack, not sit them to cool down and lose momentum.

I like Silas as a person, but if last night's rotation and substitution patterns stay the same, we should look for a replacement sooner than later.

D-rock and NewAge like this.