1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Astros vs. Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Hope so. If not , Dusty's gonna have a quick as hell hook.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Astros and Braves win one more in the ALCS and NLCS respectively, not having Chris Burke throw out the first pitch of the World Series would be a travesty.

3. the shark

the shark Member

It's extremely hard to put a team away. Yes Framber figured things out but there's no guarantee that Garcia or Urquidy have.

I could envision this tomorrow night:

Garcia 3 IP
    Odo or Raley 1
    Maton 1.1
    Stanek 1
    Graveman 1.2
    Pressly 1

Squirtle and jayfree like this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I think even Maldy would have hit that pitch hard. Probably directly to an outfielder, but hard.

Elienator likes this.
  5. jayfree

jayfree Member

Correa would have popped it up in the air depending on the score in the later innings.

7th inning on, if the Astros are trailing by a run then he smashes it. Otherwise popup or swinging out of the zone for a k

STR8Thugg and Marshall Bryant like this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Knock on wood. So far, Cancer is the only disease in my family I haven't inherited. But it's in the history with Maternal GF (Leukemia) and Paternal GF (Lung Cancer - anti smoker before it was a thing)

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

If Garcia can get us 9 outs tomorrow night with surrendering 2 runs or less, then I'll call it a win. Then go to the all-star game style 1 inning per pitcher. Probably save Javier for a Game 7.

Squirtle likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I miss how Larry Dierker managed his starters, he always gave them a ton of room - even when they were struggling because the starters are your best pitchers.

I think Dusty and Finch both yank them far too fast.

DD

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

This is just how baseball is now. I don't think this is exclusively a Baker or Finch problem. Ultimately, baseball needs to find a way to fix this and probably has to implement rules around pitching substitutions. It's also slowing down the game pretty dramatically so its screwing up the overall product.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There's not too much leash in the playoffs. No time to settle down.

What I look for isn't really balls and strikes, but whether the pitches are competitive, meaning are they pitches that look like they are in the zone and break out, look like they are out of the zone and break in or move so much in the zone the batter can't make good contact.

Bad calls and good calls on competitive pitches aren't on the pitcher. It's rub of the green stuff.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A starter facing a lineup for the 3rd time is generally not one of your best options, and the data is pretty overwhelming which is why the entire league has come around to playing it this way.

There are exceptions, Framber is one of them, but most pitchers are better off going max effort for 5 or 6 innings then handing it off.

12. Elienator

Elienator Member

Ironically, one of the complaints against Dusty that gets tossed around a lot is that he is too old school and he leaves his starters in too long and destroys their arms. This is based on Kerry Wood / Mark Prior 20 years ago. The reality is that while Dusty might go by "gut" a little more than some managers, overall he has followed the general trends in baseball and manages pretty similar to most other current managers.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's an easy fix by Rule. Just require Starters to face 12 batters or finish 3 innings like the new 3 batter or end inning rule. (Usual exceptions for injury - probably need a 14 day IL to keep abuse down)

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It isn't a coach problem if the goal for a coach is to win the game. Teams leaving their starters in for 5 or 6 innings lost too many games to teams yanking their starters too early.

On the slowing down the game, by far the biggest things doing that is batters not being forced to stay in the box, and pitchers being allowed to take an extra 15-20 seconds more than pitchers took 10 years ago between each pitch.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

What? Did you go into a coma in 1997 and wake up last night?

SWTsig, Fyreball and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. STR8Thugg

I liked this post until I started reading nonsense about more regulations with pitching management.

Fyreball and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. right1

right1 Member

Combined with his bad hitting, Machete has also had the most terrible luck on the team. Every time he hits a line drive it is straight to an Outfielder, no doubt.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  18. STR8Thugg

So you force a starter that has nothing to continue, so you can get more results like this?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU200707290.shtml

jiggyfly and Marshall Bryant like this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

In an effort to reduce the number of pitching changes and, in turn, cut down the average time per game, MLB instituted a rule change that requires pitchers to either face a minimum of three batters in an appearance or pitch to the end of a half-inning, with exceptions for injuries and illnesses. If a pitcher faces one batter to end an inning, he may be removed, but if he is brought back for a second inning, he must still face two more batters for a total of three.

I had been wondering why the one inning pitchers weren't being brought in with two outs so they could be pulled after each batter.

#6619 Marshall Bryant, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

So Boston Radio has been all in saying that the Astros are cheating with whistling before pitches even on road parks. The videos they have essentially have random whistles that come in as the ball is being released or right about to be hit which is hilarious but I guess they want to grasp at straws.

They are also claiming Framber was using sticky stuff becuase he kept rubbing his face to wipe of sweat etc.

I get it, we cheated but literally trying to create theories and **** is getting old.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ml...o-wild-for-red-sox-fans-to-embrace/ar-AAPN3mM

awc713 and STR8Thugg like this.