1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Timberwolves 10/20/2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

all the stuff that he needs the Rockets won’t be able to provide any time soon

paying him big money would be an absolute waste

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I keep preaching that but all I hear is we need another top 5 pick! None of these 19 yrs are promised to become a star, the draft is a gamble.

I like Jalen Green and I think he has all the tools to become a special talent, same for KPJ and KM but we don't know if their talents will transform into All-Stars.

As far as I see it the Rockets are 0-5, since the season started. The one game they won was a heroic come back by the end of the bench crew.

If we go out and draft Chet Homegren next yr and trade Wood, we're going to be young, talented but still struggling to win.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

People are now simply finding every possible excuse to hate on Wood. He has shown the most consistency in the team when healthy and yet he keeps getting criticized for practically anything. Hell, he is not even a selfish player on offense and tries to get other players involved.

s3ts, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

Will Tilman trades assets for a bunch of average role players we’ll be back to first round fodder/perineal 14th pick in no time!

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

True or false? Jalen green was our best primary ball handler last night?

I mean it isn't saying much as KPJ really struggled last night. I hope it's just one game but if KPJ regresses and guys like Nawaba regressed that says a lot about Silas' coaching staff. KPJ looked better last season. One game though so I'll not make any definitive claims yet untill probably half way through the season.

ElPigto and cheke64 like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

In today's modern NBA a player his stature and skill qualifies him to be a pg/sg as he should. Let's not stick a scrubby Rafer Alston or Tyron Lue because that's the old traditional way.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with this take. Green off the bench and see if KPJ can turn it around. I still see great talent in KPJ and a really crappy rotation by Silas. You don’t want KPJ to lose all confidence. I think KPJ needs to be a score first PG. Right now they are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

It’s only one game, but Tate seems to have regressed. If he and Nwaba refuse to take wide open 3’s they need to be benched. I also don’t see all the love for Augustine. He is over the hill. Looks absolutely terrible out there. Sequin looks great and should get as many minutes with Wood as possible. Unfortunately, he is going to get in foul trouble a lot, since he is the only one on the team that can even reasonably guard NBA sized bigs like Kat.

I have consistently preached patience, but Silas’ only giving guys like KMJ and Garuba trash time minutes, while giving Augustine and Nwaba so much love is frustrating as hell.

ElPigto, D-rock and ArtV like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Nobody was making 'good' passes last night. The whole team came out lackadaisical and disinterested - FOR THE VERY FIRST GAME OF THE YEAR!!. No effort on defense by anyone. They gave up early. No creative sets or 5 man lineups from Silas. Just a meek approach to the game and outcome. Players have to play, but the coaches need to afford these young guys the tools they need to be competitive. Silas isnt surrounded by vet players and should know this.

If you are insinuating that Jalen Green should play PG then that is playing with fire. Last thing you want from the 1 is a shoot first mentality. Just sayin. Everybody is doing their usual CFans thing after one game so its okay to vent, but there needs to be a much larger sample size to start making these considerations. Peace.

D-rock, cmoak1982 and hakeem94 like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we have great talent and changing the coach is the easiest way... you dont even need to fire him, just demote him to an assistant and find a better leader and a person more dedicated to details, discipline and defense(3d) because these things lead to success

10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'm actually dumbfounded by these comments.

It's almost like they just pretended Green was not out there defensively. If they did see him, there is no way in this world anyone can say he was a positive out there.

There were multiple transition defensive plays where Green had absolutely no idea where he needed to be moving resulting in easy buckets.

It got to the point where I couldn't help but laugh every time Green did something bad, and Hollins was quick to chime in about how it was actually good.

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You can already see from a couple of posters who have commented he had a 'good' game.

They completely ignored the defensive side of the ball.

I guess the goalposts are moving and that's what we're going with, and pretending defense doesn't exist with Green.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. fchowd0311

Well Green was definitely making good passes last night. The fact he handled the ball more than expected last night and still got zero turnovers for his first ever real NBA game says a lot to me.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Can the flip side be also true that he did play poor defense but his detractors only are commenting on that and not even mentioning his surprising competence as a ball handling playmaker role?

Like that in the grand scheme of things is more important. We've worshiped a man for the past 8 years that was a savant playmaker and a poor defender.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Absolutely. He made smart passes. Was not careless with the ball trying to be Magic like Scooter was last night. Jalen was still a -37 still plenty of room to improve and he could be a secret weapon of sorts if used in short bursts handling the ball I could agree to that. He will be fine.

D-rock and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. fchowd0311

He played the most minutes in the game in a blowout which means +/- is going to effect him more negatively than players who played less minutes.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

No I get it. Im not the biggest +/- guy, but it does offer some levity from getting carried away in either direction. NOBODY played great last night. Jalen shot 28% overall and 16% from the 3 point line along with pretty bad defense. This is coming from one of the biggest Jalen homers here my guy. Lets keep it real. I know he will be fine, not clinging onto one stat or the other. He is going to get better - WAY BETTER and last night was an indicator of this for me. We're fighting for the same rebound! :D

D-rock and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. fchowd0311

When it comes to player development for Green I'm more worried about his competence handling the ball, reading defenses and making the right decisions at this point of his career. His shooting splits will eventually improve. What's important is seeing that at least we can see signs that he can be a good primary ball handler and I saw signs of that last night. But ya he had a poor shooting and defensive game.

19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why have they been limiting him to around 18 minutes?

cmoak1982, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They hired him when this was a completely different team.
    But, you are correct that they need someone who can do all of those things. Silas is not the one.