1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Astros vs. Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 14, 2021.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Play of the game last night was in the 5th. They had men on 1st + 2nd and nobody out. Framber gets Renfroe to hit into a double play and then Verdugo flies out. No runs and we're still up 1-0. One of the greatest pitching performances in Astros history last night!!

2. Elienator

Elienator Member

Cancer sucks. Stay strong and best wishes for your family.

Rock Block likes this.
  3. SuraGotMadHops

I always thought we finally exorcised the Braves demons in 04 and 05 in the NLDS, especially the 18 inning Chris Burke clincher. Nevertheless, a WS victory over them would be sweet.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. Elienator

Elienator Member

I think the Mets may have already had their come-uppance at this point. Sad stories for some of the individual players on that team too.

5. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Play of the game offensively was Altuve drawing a lead off walk and then going first to third on that Brantley dribbler to third base. Schwarber makes an error and the wheels come off for Boston. Crazy how quickly this series flipped back!

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. CinematicFusion

Who starts game 6?
    1. Garcia
    2. Odorizzi
    3. Christian Javier

Squirtle likes this.
  7. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Hahaha

8. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Honestly..I'm hoping Odorizzi.

In a perfect world...
    1-3 Odorizzi
    4-5 Javier
    6 Maton
    7 Stanek
    8 Graveman
    9 Pressly

9. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Hell no to odorizzi I say. Even with proper time to warm up. I like Javier a lot. Or perhaps Garcia then Javier.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Garcia... but Odorizzi has already started stretching right now so he should also be ready by tomorrow at 7 if needed.

Garcia was just completely off on Saturday. No command on pitches. No rhythm what so ever (unlike Urquiddy who looked great... then walked one guy before the wheels fell off). An injury made more sense. If he's sure that's not going to be a problem, he's still going to be the most rested.

Dusty won't hesitate to pull him. Won't make the mistake of going to Odorizzi mid inning if Garcia doesn't have it. Bullpen completely rested... moreso than any point in this playoffs.

Javier the weapon on standby for those crucial 3-6 innings.

NewAge and CinematicFusion like this.
  11. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Why not? He really hasn't been that bad. And definitely seems more ready for this moment than L. Garcia.

Why start Javier when he hasn't done it since like May?

Squirtle likes this.
  12. Elienator

Elienator Member

ESPN win probability chart shows this was a 14% change (or 28% swing) which was the biggest play by far. Astros were at 51% after Martinez was hit (which was a 7% shift) and after the double play they went to 65%. Alvarez's double in the top of the 6th was next at 11% change.

13. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Just got tickets to my very first ALCS game tomorrow!!! Section 108. Little lady and I will be going. :)

14. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

We are a team of destiny. We must not let odorizzi start.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Good Morning Houston!

That was a thorough ass kicking. What an enjoyable game from the first pitch on. Cy Framber out there on the mound....a thing of beauty.

Framber Valdez....
    • first pitcher in the 2021 postseason to finish eight innings
    • first pitcher to pitch 8 innings and give up 1 run or less since 2016 (in the post season)
    • first opposing pitcher to last eight innings in a postseason start at Fenway since Cleveland’s Charles Nagy went eight in the 1998 Division Series.
    • There has been 126 post season starts since the last pitcher went 8 innings....
    • ....list goes on and on. What a game.

Mood this morning.

[​IMG]

#6595 Uprising, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  16. Elienator

Elienator Member

I read something that the staff had worked with Garcia to adjust his mechanics and take pressure of his knee. Assuming as part of any other mechanical changes related to whatever they were working on to prevent tipping as well. Garcia has also said he feels good, but given he was saying that previously I don't really trust that.

Anyway - I think you're right. Hope whatever changes that they made are working and he has his normal control or pull him quickly. They still may need a long reliever and Odorrizi takes a while to warm up, so does he start his warm up at the beginning of the game just in case?

Squirtle likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The game threads are usually a bunch of knee jerk reactions, confirmation biases, and debbie downers while the Astros are tied or losing. I can react poorly to those types of posts. In the decision whether to post in the game threads or to grab a St. Arnold's Oktoberfest, the Oktoberfest usually wins.

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I'm still holding on to it for the 90's teams lol

#6598 RKREBORN, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Odorizzi started warming up on the flight back home. He's still doing those arm windmill things that he did for about 20 minutes last Saturday before touching a ball.

Everybody at the game was very impressed with his stretching exhibition... was honestly the highlight of that game.

20. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm for letting Garcia start game #6 and Odorizzi to come in after if he can't get to 5

For Game #7 I liked Javier to start

I don't like Javier going on only 2 days rest after his great outing in #4. Greinke should be on standby for an inning or two at most. I may not even be opposed to starting Greinke again just for 2 innings before Javier to keep their warmups like they are used to.

Urquidy would be a good person to plug in on either day if need be for a few innings.

everyday eddie and Squirtle like this.