1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Early look at his efficiency isn't great. IMO it's the biggest area that needs improvement because it was horrible last year too, and if he can't improve it he can't be a starter in the NBA. Definitely will be something I'll continue to watch all year but I'm more worried about that than his point guard skills. The point guard skills are important too, but it's just not possible to be a good player at the guard position if you aren't efficient, especially if you aren't a great defender.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Ja Morant

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This kpj's make it or break it year. We've heard the excuse. Shortened season, locker being moved, and wall stunting his growth.. he either starts showing he can consistent and eventually become a star or we accept the fact he is what he is and we trade him as well with everyone to get what we really want.

vator and NewAge like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hype: ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓​
    Talent/Production: ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I was so hyped, now I have given up hope the more I watch him. Not sure what he's good at anymore. Can't shoot, can't finish at the rim, weirdly flashy handles but turns it over constantly. Has hops but never use it. Mediocre to bad passer, everything gets tipped. Court vision very limited too

HTXSportsAddict and vator like this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Porter is just not a PG he is just a combo guard. He has great size, nice handles and quick feet. But he does not have the "Point Guard Mentality" to get the ball into small windows and is turnover prone. We need Wall to start.....and get a young point guard via trade or draft.....

34to11, bmelo and vator like this.
  7. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

If KPJ intends to remain the PG for this team he cannot have a 2/7 record in 3-point shooting and 9 turnovers. As simple as that.

8. MystikArkitect

Sengun has better vision than KPJ.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think KPJ was the worst player for us last night and it wasn't even close.

I know he can play better but I'm not sure if he fits with Green who actually seems willing to do a lot of off-ball movement. I think you're going to need more of a Jrue kind of PG for Green.

I feel like every pass he made had the potential of being a TO.

HTXSportsAddict and vator like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think Green was pretty clearly worse.... he might be the worst defensive player I've ever seen before.

That said KPJ was pretty terrible too. 9 turnovers is inexcusable.

Both of our young guards need to develop a lot of they are going to have a future in the league

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

9 turnovers, 3 assist, 4 for 12 from the field, in only 24 minutes

This boy is NOT a rookie, he is not the 2nd overall pick. This is his 3rd year, if he doesn't pick up his play significantly we should move on from him and focus on developing Green, surrounding Green with high IQ vets to teach him how to play the game right.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah but can he average 20/10 and would he go first or second in the 2021 draft? ;)

ThatBoyNick and vator like this.
  13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My dumb ass thought this was a spoiler tag or something I was trying to click around and highlight it to see the text before I figured out what it meant lol

ramotadab likes this.
  14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nah, I think KPJ was the worst guy on the court tonight for us. I really hated his TOs, a lot of them were just lazy passes or easily telegraphed passes, his head doesn't seem into the game at all. Green's defense was bad, that is true, but that was true for the team. Green didn't turn it over and he seemed to make a lot more happen when he touched the ball.

I don't think KPJ is THIS bad though but he hasn't looked right since the start of the season. I hope he's there mentally because it's been looking like he's lost focus or something. I don't know...but it doesn't look like the same player last year. Looks like the Monstars still thought Harden was on the team and stole KPJs powers instead.

34to11 and vator like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His handles are average at best, I think it is a stretch to make him a PG.

DD

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

things change so quickly…from people believing he could actually average 10 apg on a team this sorry and with the caliber of player that he is, to now being a problem at PG

KPJr can not shoot and is very turnover prone…Chris Brickley needs to stop putting out all these edited videos of guys like KPJr, Melo, and even Russ splashing jumpers in the gym, because once the NBA season starts, it’s back to bricks

YOLO, RasaqBoi and vator like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

J.R. likes this.
  18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

1 game changes people's minds......................lol................by the way Tatum was bad tonight as well, he might as well retire

Sonicbun8, ramotadab and dawesome like this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Starting unit looks Chaotic and all over the place.
    Everything is random and scatterbrained.

That is on the PG.

Silas needs to do two things if KPJ is going to remain a starter.

Insert Sengun and let Jalen initiate the offense more.

At this point having KPJ as the lead ball handler for the starters is a recipe for disaster.

Cade wouldn've been a better fit with KPJ, but I still am really high on Jalen.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well...Tatum has years of success that likely point to it just being a bad game and nothing more.

KPJ could very well just have been a flash in the pan player that got hot for a stretch playing basically without any pressure or expectations. Happens about every year too. Doesn't mean he'll be bad, but will he ever be what he was for that stretch? He has to prove it.

Now he has some pressure to produce and now the expectation to do so and so far, he's failed Luckily for him, it's just one game, fans memories are short. Come out with a nice game against OKC and we know the board will flip back to praising him and thinking he's the long term PG...

But the point is, he hasn't played well enough long enough to get the benefit of the doubt a player like Tatum gets.

ramotadab likes this.