1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experiment is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by atam, Oct 20, 2021.

1. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Right. They want him to become a 6 year vet by his 7th nba game. Let him go out there and see what all he can do first. He’ll adjust

vator, HTown_TMac and i3artow i3aller like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the hype was just absurd and it had people thinking he'd look like a competent player from day one like Evan Mobley.

That just wasn't ever going to happen. He's a year away from being a year away from being truly NBA ready.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. hahachui

hahachui Member

we can draft first this year
    You look at timberwolves roster
    They are just better than us.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

This is ridiculous, you are judging a rookie on his first game? You would have certainly declared the ‘Yao experiment’ a failure after his first game.

Green needs to add strength to finish through contact but otherwise he will be fine when he settles in.

5. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Anthony edwards went 5-15 in his first nba game

B-Bob, ElDobleK, Denovo and 10 others like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Anthony Edwards averaged 15 ppg on 37% shooting pre-ASB his rookie year

if he was a Rocket, CF would have deemed him a definite bust by November, but look at him now

7. StevieCrossover

I'd give it 2 years and to sense bust or not.

xaos and clos4life like this.
  8. StevieCrossover

Already expect the rooks to be inconsistent....... maybe be the winner of Paolo Ranchero or Chet Holgrem.

9. bj3175

bj3175 Member

This is on coach. He sent lambs to a bunch of Timberwolves

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

we have a coach?

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Do you expect 50 a night right from day 1..........................................

i3artow i3aller and Sonicbun8 like this.
  12. vick

vick Member

When i was in 6th grade my teacher said i had a lot of potential. I showed her. I did not pass. Had to tepeat the 6th grade. I hope he has more luck than i did. I am 71 now.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

OBVIOUSLY HE CANT

HTown_TMac and Crashlanded19 like this.
  14. s3ts

s3ts Member

Youre worse than Brian Scalabrine, how could you be better than any starting player in the NBA? Even if you hate a player at least make it look like you’re biased.

Sonicbun8 likes this.
  15. DreamR

DreamR Member

Here's a list of first NBA game performances for a few current star players:

Luka - 10 points 5/16 31%fg
    Durant - 18 points 7/22 32%fg
    D Mitchell - 10 points 3/11 27%fg
    Trae Young - 14 points 5/14 36%fg
    Kawhi Leonard- 6 points 2/9 22%fg
    Paul George - 4 points 1/5 20%fg

Look at the horrible shooting percentages. Look at these players now.

Bottom line is that it takes time to become great. Set your expectations accordingly.

IvanLCPM, alethios, Patience and 13 others like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

At this point Green is one dimensional. He is going to look good when he shoots well from 3. He doesn’t go to the line, he doesn’t really drive as often as he should either. He doesn’t help you defensively or really as as passer either at this point. So right now, he is extremely dependent on his jumper.

He doesn’t have very good length, or size or strength. However he does have an exceptional first step, strong hand eye coordination, strong athleticism and moves in a straight line about as well as anyone in the league. He also has a soft touch. The skill combo is very rare and almost always leads to elite scorers at the guard spot. Short of injury or loss of interest, that set of skills leads to high scorers. That means someone like Zach Levine or Bradley Beal.

Now he COULD have undeveloped passing and playmaking ability but that is just an unknown and if he has that ability he could be a superstar.

For this season and possibly next, I don’t expect him to contribute much to winning basketball as he is raw and has to put everything together. I also don’t think he is going to work with Porter but will give it more time.

Some expectations are not realistic. He physically and likely mentally isn’t Jordan or Kobe or Harden or McGrady. He just physically doesn’t have the body they do. He doesn’t even have the body that Anthony Edwards has. So to expect him to be in this class isn’t fair.

He has a good chance to be a multiple all star and a slight chance to be a Hall of Famer if his playmaking improves and he starts to draw fouls.

He is a very good prospect but he isn’t a generational type prospect. Half the time he would be the #1 shooting guard prospect in a solid draft.

Having listened to him and his interests and diet, it is clear he is still very young and appears to be a good young man but immature and naive in someways. It will take some time for him to really “get it” but he has all the traits and attributes of a player that is a strong professional.

IvanLCPM, luckyman76, Milos and 7 others like this.
  17. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Lol that’s how you feel after 1 game huh?.. he did attack the paint a few times… he made a few nice passes.. his jumpshot wasn’t falling.. the end

18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

If you follow his career he has the goods. Honestly we need him to be more like his dad. Coach knows basketball thats not his problem. The issue at hand is he is projecting a lack of intensity on his team. These young guys need to be pushing the pace, is the only advantage they have is their speed. The game will come but Silas has to do his job better. His demeanor looks appropriate for a veteran team not a bunch of youngsters.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

yep

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

[​IMG]