1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Simmons getting a new zip code?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vator, Jul 13, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Have a great day as well. I’m going to watch more Sixers games this year so I can understand how much the Sixers are hurt by Embiid falling down every other possession.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Come on man. Of course he isn’t. No one is. Nobody

In my opinion for 2-3 seasons Hakeem was the best player to ever play basketball.

Jontro, Richie_Rich and Joe Rocket like this.
  3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You should actually watch so you know what you're talking about. Capela owned him.

Jontro likes this.
  4. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

What a dam bum this guy
    Lol we’re not here to babysit
    I wish the 76ers just trash the hell out of him while he silently sits and waits lol that would be hilarious and deserving.. may not be in their best interest for trade value etc

Slyonebluejay and Jontro like this.
  5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

This is what they did all summer lol

palmsnbananas and Jontro like this.
  6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Imagine saying "we're not here to babysit" to someone who wants to leave. OK then trade him lol

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

It's not cool the way Simmons is handling this - pretty immature honestly...but all that said, this is really an organizational problem that Philly created and continues to not address. You can't ask a guy to sign a max deal - tell him you want him to be the future of your organization and then IMMEDIATELY put him on the trade block after he signs. I get that the Sixers want to maximize the value of their organizational assets, but what they are doing by keeping Simmons perpetually with his bags packed and scapegoating him for all their problems(Doc screwed Darryl here) is doing far more damage than it's worth and I would argue creates even more collateral damage because it sends a message that Philly views their players more as assets than a family/team - would you sign there knowing that?

....and frankly this has probably been the lesson Daryl continues to need to learn because it was a problem in Houston too. Daryl got dealt a lot of shitty hands from Brand signing Simmons, to Simmons losing confidence, to Doc and Joel throwing Simmons under the bus - but this is also the job Morey agreed to take and accepting that role means you have to at least honor to some extent the baggage that came with the job. At some point it comes back to Daryl for not recognizing how sticking to his demands is doing further reputational damage to the asset he is trying to capitalize on, the team in general, and his legacy. At some point as an organizational leader, you have to own up to the mistakes other people have made in order to begin to rebuild the org and THAT is exactly the type of responsibility Daryl, Doc, and Joel are not willing to take.

For instance, if I were Joel Embid as a leader of the organization - I would be in Doc and Daryl's ear making REAL demands to make this problem go away immediately so he can move on with leading this team. Throwing your hands up and saying "I'm on the GM" isn't something a leader does - it's passing a difficult situation to someone else because you don't want to do it and that's not what people trying to control their own destiny do. Same thing for Doc - he has to apologize to Simmons, the org, and his players and change his tune because clearly it's NOT working and doesn't make his team any better. He can do that without caving to Simmons...but his ego prevents him from doing that....and Morey I already covered.

Free Ben!

NewAge and Joe Rocket like this.
  9. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Ben Simmons as a primary ball-handler would be so good for Jalen Green's development. I like KPJ but him and Green playing basically combo guard roles in the backcourt with Simmons as a point forward who's able to provide more defensive fortitude than Wood.... drool.

Jontro and Little Bit like this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

@hakeem94 pls confirm

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

iono.. lerbon is ugly af. while bent simpson is curry level pretty

12. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

It's almost perfect except aussie's accent:D

13. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

oooorr… morey is much smarter than you and deduced that Simmons is a defective player/fit and tried to trade him a year before it became obvious to casuals that you can’t win with a point guard that can’t shoot.

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

If that were the case he would have traded him, he didnt. He tried to trade him for Harden, it didnt work and at that point in a situation where it didnt work and it ruins a players confidence in you then you try to trade him again. Morey goes on a tirade saying he only wants stars plus picks. It makes no sense.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

bruh :D LMFAO

DeBeards likes this.
  16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

[​IMG]
    test…

i3artow i3aller and hakeem94 like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its basically true with a caveat that we dont know how Simpson will fit into Silas System...

need to do my own research of this mythical system before giving the final verdict on this

Jontro likes this.
  18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He just completed year one of a five year deal and was on the trade block all year - why was he signed in the first place? Wasn't signed on Morey's watch, but this is the job Morey signed up for after Brand signed Simmons. Morey is an accomplished very smart guy, but there are lots of accomplished very smart guys(including me) - being smart doesn't mean you can't have normal weaknesses like stubbornness, or a failure to read a room properly. At some point Simmons' trade value is what it is and Morey has to cut his losses and trade Simmons to the highest bidder because these shenanigans are only going to further depress Simmons' value and more importantly start to reflect negatively in more real ways on the team and the organization....and again - he still has 4 more years under contract - Morey isn't going to be able to wait that out because effectively it means his team has a $30mil/yr handicap on the tax sheet for the next 4 years.

I've said it elsewhere but to briefly recap, while Simmons is a limited player in a lot of ways, he is also still one of the best maybe 30 people playing basketball in the world right now and is close friends with many of those other top 30 players. Just as a pure numbers crunching exercise - if let's say 10 of those top 30 players don't like the way the Sixers treated Simmons or Rich Paul tells his players not to play there, then that makes Morey's job that much harder because now the organization is recruiting teammates from a much more limited resource base.

....and we aren't even talking about the fact someone will ask a Ben Simmons question to every player pre and post game until this is resolved - it's a cloud hanging over the team and I think Doc and Joel maybe did more to create it, but it's Morey's job to fix it or make it go away and that's what he NEEDS to do ASAP while he has a brilliant but injury prone star in his prime, a number of expensive role players around him, a star coach, and expectations from a city for the SIxers to be competing for a title against a super team and a superhuman Giannis. If the Sixers happen to catch some breaks and make it deep into the playoffs but have $30mil sitting at home and not contributing on the court - then it's a disaster for Morey because Joel with his injury history is only realistically going to get like 3 or 4 more opportunities like this as a dominant player...that's why Morey can't **** around and hope for a better deal that isn't coming.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

30th best player in the world? wooooow!
    thats mind warping...

i guess its the side effects of the vaccine?
    i told you not to trust the experts
    [​IMG]

20. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Simmons is a punk b****.

King1 likes this.