1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please more PnR

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Spurs are flat, Porter defender is on the island. Look at that space!

Tate sweeps across the baseline, Brooks fills in behind the action ready for a 3. Nwaba is ready for the pass but this is the only complaint I have once he sees Porter is going to drive he needs to rotate up so that Tate can fill in the corner. Tate's defender can still peel off here and be a threat. Wood sets the pick and Poeltl is left to make the choice, Porter or Wood. Space!

Spurs got beat on this one. Poeltl squares up to Porter who immediately delivers the lob. Brooks in position for a bail out. This is where it's evident that Nwaba is standing flat footed, he's taking himself and Tate out of this play now. Thankfully the Porter/Wood PnR gashes the Spurs paint. Wood has a free run to the bucket.

Touchdown!

They have to go to this more than once a game. Since Wood is a stretch big, it would also seem prudent to stick him in the corner and run PnR with Porter and say...Martin. Porter/Tate. Porter/GREEN. Porter/Sengun. All these young bucks can get up and catch lobs, Porter has the skill to get it there. I don't understand why this isn't a staple. Look, if you don't want to spam it like MDA fine. It doesn't have to be 95% of the playbook. Once a game is bullshit though. With shooters like Brooks, Green, Wood, Porter even Nwaba looks good from the corners...this team shouldn't be struggling with spacing and turnovers like they have been.

D-rock, fattz, RudyTBag and 5 others like this.
  2. juanming

juanming Member

We need a coach to best use senguns talents. Not sure if Silas knows what to do with a point center.

D-rock, ak99999 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. juanming

juanming Member

I know it's early, but looks like senguns game and greens game are total opposites. Could be bad coaching imo.. we already have an argument on cf, some want the offense to run through sengun, And some think green is the face of the franchise.... Need a coach that can best use both of them simultaneously ,the preseason was disappointing.

CriscoKidd and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Baby steps with the babies

Cutters and slashers were implemented this past game.

If you employ everything at once the kids get rattled and overwhelmed..... eventually
    the Rockets kids will learn the system and understand where to be.

D-rock, fattz, 18pbr and 7 others like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. It’s best for the Rockets if both players become great. Right now Sengun is a better basketball player. Find a way to get Green polished while not hindering any Sengun development.
    Imo, Sengun facilitating helps Green focus on scoring off ball.

D-rock, fattz, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I'm talking about running pick and roll because it's effective. These guys need a go-to play and there seems like a lot of variations to it with the roster we have.

All of whom play for the same team by the way. Sengun and Green aren't even in the pic. What the hell are you talking about?

D-rock likes this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

We need more shooters on this team. Nobody in the starting 5 is a shooter. Off the bench they have EG who's always hurt and Brooks who is still developing.

Tate, House, Nwaba, JC are all the same! Outside of JC, I would look to move the others. I think it was a mistake not to resign Shannon Brown. He was our most consistent 3-point shooter last yr.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Sengun

Sengun Member

I think we need to see a real game first in order to say that their games are opposite. When I watch Rockets, I can't see any real game. Everyone plays however they want. That's not basketball.

berkowsk likes this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Wood already expressed he doesn’t want tot be a roll man primarily like last season. He wants to grow.

10. BonziWellsGOAT

Call me crazy and this may be a hot take but it seems like Wood is all about Wood. He says the right stuff but he seems like he doesn't give af about anything except being a star. He wants to iso and do all of that stuff that "stars" do and thus far its looked not great.

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Let him do it and fool some team into trading high for him. We got his replacement (Sengun) ready

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  12. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Yup I see it too. Hes happy being on a bottom feeder where he can get his shots off and play for his next contract

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yes , more PnR please ..... asking KPJ to do his best impersonation of Harden or Luka isn't gonna cut the ketchup & mustard.

14. hakeemthagreat

Sengun has ONE good preseason game and now he's already the cornerstone on CF. The new Dmo?

15. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah but I just don't know if they're actually gonna pull the trigger on a trade. Hope I'm wrong, maybe it's just me being preseason hot take guy

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Fans who hate on Wood should be traded to Hornets fanbase for a 13th round pick in 2068.

17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

He said those words specifically? I don't want to be the roll man?? Dude that's whack. Wonder what he worked on this offseason doesn't seem like it was passing.
    Harden was the master of PnR as well. I don't buy the "baby Harden" thing people were on last season but I do think he handles PnR well enough to run it more than once a game, especially while it seems like they need a go-to move.

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...-houston-rockets/id1135563666?i=1000538715378

At the 21:00 mark

Dankstronaut likes this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Well. I pretty much agree with the take about it. I don't mind diversifying and letting him do other things as well but that's no reason to abandon something that was so effective last year. Also with the observation that while signing Theis allows Wood to slide up to the 4, their fit on the court is unnatural. Theis IS a rim rolling big only, so maybe this is the key to them fitting better too. A lineup of Porter, Green, Tate, Wood, Theis should fit. Porter/Theis run 2 man game, Green/Wood should be considered good enough 3 point shooters to space the floor out and Tate, Nwaba, House or Martin can corner camp.

D-rock likes this.
  20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That hasn’t been the case but I’ll give it time