1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance McCullers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Feb 28, 2021.

1. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Man I like lance but he is injury prone

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. Radricky

Radricky Member

This has got to be killing him right now.
    He's such a fierce competitor

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Depends. If Sale gets blown up, the Sox hole would be just as deep.

4. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros would have close to a 50/50 chance against the Dodgers..... there are a number of reasons for that, but the talent disparity isn't as large as it seems and the Astros essentially coasted most of the year.

Radricky and cmlmel77 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

This.

There are a LOT of pitching question marks on both sides in this series.

For the Red Sox, there are concerns about Sale..... he only lasted 1 inning and gave up 5 runs last time out against the Rays.... and that isn't a fluke as Sale has since September 6th given up 18 runs in 21 innings and hasn't gone longer than 5.1 innings. Now Sale claims he watched video and figured out the problem and fixed it..... we will wait and see.

Also Sale has struggled in the post season in his career.

Nathan Eovaldi has really, quietly been the best pitcher on the Red Sox. He can go deep in games, doesn't walk many and strikes out a lot. He is on par with Framber Valdez of the Astros.

The Sox also will likely start Eduardo Rodriguez and he isn't any better than Garcia or Urquidy for the Astros.

The Astros also have a better bullpen at the top..... I like the Astros defense better as well.

This is baseball, anything can happen.... luck plays a really big part in the outcome.... but the Astros should win this series, but anything can happen over 7 games.

jiggyfly, MadMax and BigM like this.
  6. BigM

BigM Member

7 games seems like a big sample size but it really isn’t. Luck is a big player in playoff baseball. We can beat anyone with or without Lance, just like we can lose to a team when we have JV, Cole, and Greinke.

jiggyfly, Clutch City1993 and rockbox like this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

More delays on his status update than an American Airlines flight

astros123, Tomstro and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Man can you imagine this team with a healthy Verlander and mcculers

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Might as well go all the way and say a healthy Pedro Baez

jiggyfly and snowconeman22 like this.
  10. Elienator

Elienator Member

For what it's worth, the Zips project at Fangraphs has Lance being out a 6% swing. Their projection went from 50/50 to Boston 53/47. Lance not pitching is significant, but not the "sky is falling" end of the world situation some are making it out to be.

11. dc rock

dc rock Member

Losing Lance is clearly a big loss, but it’s funny how I keep reading about him being the “ace.” I mean he definitely was recently, but I remember during the start of the season, Greinke was the ace, then Dusty said it was Framber, then Lance... Maybe a new ace will step up now. There are four in every deck.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I was going to say Mike Scott

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  13. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

While I love Lance, for this series you are looking at a likely 10 innings that would he would have pitched. The difference between a 2 ERA and a 4 ERA for those 10 innings is just over two runs … not a huge task to make up against a highly mediocre Red Sox staff.

It sucks, but it isn’t the end of the world. It will be worse in the WS because you might have had him over 3 games if things timed out well, and runs will be much harder to come by against LA than Boston.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Boston pitching isn't very good, and I think our offense is better. Wonder why Fangraphs had it at 50/50.

#274 Air Langhi, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  15. MadMax

MadMax Member

Completely agreed. I think it's clearer to say you either win 4 or you lose 4. 4 games. Any 1 game can be cost here or there by a bad hop or a lot of hard hit balls that find the fielders' gloves. It's the least predictable of the major sports. It's terrifying, honestly. :)

jiggyfly, Nook and BigM like this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Dodgers pitching is very good. We have a better offense, but Walker Buehler, Julio Urias and Max Scherzer is a pretty tough trio.

astros123, MadMax, jiggyfly and 3 others like this.
  17. BigM

BigM Member

It’s what makes playoff baseball the most intense sport. Each pitch is like a mini heart attack.

MadMax, jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Playoff baseball is incredibly intense. By far the best of all the sports. Hockey is a close second if you have a routing interest. My favorite sport is basketball, but the way the NBA changes the rules in the playoffs and is so obvious in their big market bias sickens me.

Off topic, but this year’s playoff baseball, like never before, makes me want the robot umps. I used to think the umps histrionics and the human element were fun, but the umps are inserting theirselves way too much and the technology has been so perfected it makes no sense for these dipshits to have so much control over the outcomes.

HTXSportsAddict and BigM like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This!

20. the shark

the shark Member

Doesn't even make it out of the 3rd inning.

Yep he's "perfectly fine"!!!!