1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Fantasma Negro

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting to see that the same guys that were ripping Kyrie Irving for Black Lives Matter, are now on board with Kyrie the anti-vaxxer.

Whatever helps you get through the day. :)

i3artow i3aller and Ubiquitin like this.
  4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Kyrie is bold in his solutions. He didn't think the NBA players should play in the bubble at all. He also thought Black players should start their own league. Now, he doesn't think players should be forced to get vaccinated. All of those solutions will force players to sacrifice alotta money. I still will wait and see how far he's willing to take this, but at least he's willing to bring up ideas that are forward thinking and he will not accept every idea that is fed to him by others.

5. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Being bold in solutions does not mean a person should deserve credit for simply being bold in our subjective world. Ideas "fed" by others are also not necessarily always bad either if it means well. The majority of doctors, scientists, and other experts recommend getting the vaccine. If Kyrie has doubts then so be it but then admit to being a hypocrite when he accepted other treatments like arthroscopic surgery to relieve a right shoulder impingement. Forward-thinking is when societies evolve as new issues prop up for the betterment of society. And "sacrificing allota money" is a choice, he's not performing a selfless duty for the country or doing favors that we have to be grateful for. In a society, there is no ME or I, as much as people think how special they are. Every single thing people do is playing by the rules made by society. If Kyrie wants to live by his own rules, no one is stopping him but then should also not crib when the majority of society does not accept it. It is what it is!

clutchdabear and RudyTBag like this.
  6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Again, he GENUINELY BELIEVES THAT. THE. EARTH. IS. FLAT.

“I do :Dresearch:D on both sides,” Irving said at the time. “I’m not against anyone that thinks the Earth is round. I’m not against anyone that thinks it’s flat. I just love hearing the debate.”

About as bold and forward-thinking as Austin Powers playing Black Jack.
    [​IMG]

7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Who cares about the so-called experts and their silly degrees! Nowadays everyone is an expert!

In the words of Randy Marsh, "We don't need medical school to know that vaccines are fur un-American pussays!"

Magicsaint likes this.
  8. i3artow i3aller

9. JumpMan

Forward-thinking is about looking towards the future where a course of action may take you. Prior to the bubble, the players were protesting and resisting the idea of playing. The NBA made some concessions for the players to appease them. Kyrie didn't think the league went far enough. Solution: let's keep protesting and let's start our own league. Agree or disagree, that is forward-thinking because he could see how the NBA will handle future player protests: threaten to take their money and offer meaningless solutions. Now, he sees people just accepting this vaccine mandate and he doesn't want it to be a habit where everyone will accept every mandate, so he takes this "stand." The majority of professionals in this business do recommend getting the vaccine, but would the same majority recommend it for a 30-year-old professional athlete that has already recovered from the virus? Either way, it isn't necessarily about this specific vaccine because, as you say, he has accepted medical treatments before and he is more than likely vaccinated with all of the other mandated vaccinations.

10. JumpMan

I don't disagree with you. Kyrie is a pot-head with a lot of pot-head ideas. Every once in a while, he'll share an idea that I am interested in exploring. That doesn't mean he isn't misguided and the wrong person to take this type of stand that calls for others to follow him. It would be best that he recognizes that he isn't the type of person to be followed so he can then do this on his own and not influence anyone else. Ultimately, I think he sees himself as this deep-thinker that believes his thoughts are nectar from the gods that everyone needs to eat. In reality, even though I don't think all his ideas are worthless, he's closer to a dumb jock than an intellectual or whatever. I also think he's addicted to attention.

TimDuncanDonaut and RudyTBag like this.
  11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

He honestly reminds me a bit of Kanye West.

TimDuncanDonaut and JumpMan like this.
  12. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Millions have died all over the world due to covid. I think one can make a fair distinction between pandemic related mandates vs any silly mandates that could prop up in the future. It is not a fair comparison to make for Kyrie to prove some point or take a stand, if this is what he is doing.

Honestly, at this point Kyrie situation is simply getting exhausting. He is not the owner of the NBA so it really does not matter what rules he wants NBA to make when majority of the NBA players are simply just OK with the mandates. Media simply is giving way too much attention to Kyrie. Cant wait for season to start so analyst can focus more on the game than drama.

TimDuncanDonaut and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. anonmau5

anonmau5 Member

Where is the data showing that:

1) Kids are extremely vulnerable to this disease
    2) Vaccines significantly impact transmissibility

The actual science tells us these vaccines are a tool for you to prevent yourself from being hospitalized. This statement from Mark makes little sense.

cmoak1982 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Curious...do you yourself have kids? If so, what safeguards have you implemented in your household to help keep your kids safe?

This is the entire Cuban quote:

15. Fantasma Negro

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

1. What percentage of hospital beds are taken up by the unvaccinated worldwide right now?

2. How many preventable deaths happened because the unvaccinated took up valuable space in said hospitals?

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

Unfortunately, Jonathan, you live in a country that didn't take a pandemic seriously enough and, within that same freedom you are referencing, many chose to do things that were counterproductive in the goal to prevent COVID from spreading.

18. Fantasma Negro

Nothing prevents covid from spreading.

19. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Straw man argument.

20. steddinotayto

Just because there hasn't been an absolute solution to prevent COVID from spreading doesn't mean you dismiss or shut down non-absolute solutions or processes.

Quarantining isn't a 100% foolproof solution but was shown to be effective in preventing the spread of COVID. Unfortunately there are some who chose to exercise or "defend" their freedom to go out and be in public places who eventually end up getting COVID and spreading it to others in situations that didn't require them to be in those places (e.g. going to work/school, getting groceries, etc.)

If I misunderstood your reply please let me know.