1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

17yo Matas Buzelis

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by omgTHEpotential, Oct 14, 2021.

1. omgTHEpotential

Can't remember a more exciting Lithuanian prospect. Hopefully no injuries.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, he looks good

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Legit 6’10 with guard skills. Scouting report says his comp is KD. Obviously a pipe dream but the kid has handles, shot, athleticism and height/length

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

That refresh your memory

5. omgTHEpotential

Haha yeah no, DMo was never that exciting. He was really talented, but more of a traditional big. Buzelis seems more of a unicorn type like Porzingis or Holmgren.

6. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

7. Buck Turgidson

Had those in Lebanon once, ****ing delicious.

sydmill, comrade and Nook like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He’s not from Lithuania. He’s born and raised in America. Learned how to play basketball in Illinois.

MB: I am a first-generation American. Both my parents came from Lithuania 20+ years ago and settled in Chicago. We speak the Lithuanian language at home. I play for Mac Irvin Fire EYBL (IL) and Full Package Athletics (IL). Also Brewster Academy is my school.

comrade and Nook like this.
  9. omgTHEpotential

Yeah I know all about him. His dad Aidas was a long time member of Lithuanian national team staff. And yes, Matas is not from Lithuania, but he is Lithuanian. Also wants to represent the Lithuanian national team in the future.

My sister and her husband went to live in Spain a few years ago and they had a daughter there. I don't and won't treat her as different nationality than the rest of the family. She's Lithuanian to me :) Same with this Buzelis kid, he's born there but literally 100% of his family and his genes are Lithuanian. Similar to Domantas Sabonis, who was born in America just because his father played for the Trail Blazers at the time, and then afterwards he spent a large part of his life in Spain. He is still Lithuanian even though he also has an American passport.

#9 omgTHEpotential, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  10. omgTHEpotential

Haha well that's technically true. Arvydas' skillset for that time was probably even more unique than Buzelis'.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Didn’t say he wasn’t Lithuanian. He is what he says he is, afaic. Since I’m from Illinois, which is one of the few states that loves BBall more than football, I was just pointing out where he learned to play. His dad picked the right state!

It also means he doesn’t have euro club experience against pros. His vids are against kids his age, no?

my one scouting remark, he’s going to have to change that set shot of his. He’ll need to get that ball higher for release, or do one quick motion, if he’s going to shoot with such a low release.

12. omgTHEpotential

Yeah the release has been bothering me as well. He seems like a very skinny kid so this was probably the only form that he could use to not airball his 3PT shots. But now that's he 17 and stronger, he really needs to adjust it.

P.S. And yes, I'm not denying that he's a product of the Illinois basketball school. Just the fact that you said 'he's not from Lithuania' when replying to my 'can't remember a more exciting Lithuanian' prospect got me mixed up as to what you meant by that.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

meh I think when people say someone is an exciting lithuanian prospect people automatically think he's someone who was brought up in the European system vs American. When I read your title I was automatically thinking it's someone playing in a European basketball league.

I am not sure if I would call ever call Jeremy Lin a Taiwanese/Chinese Prospect.

14. omgTHEpotential

Buzelis just got selected to the USA's 2021-22 Junior team. Not gonna lie, it will sting a bit if he chooses to represent the US, instead of Lithuania. Y'all have so much crazy talent already, you don't need him :D

raining threes and Nook like this.
  15. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Would not draft based on those shorts unless he is going to the Netball league.

16. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

raining threes likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know Matas at all but from what I have been told, he was born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago in an upper middle class home and now plays in the New England area at one of the 3-4 top basketball academies in the USA. He seems pretty Americanized.

OremLK, King1 and raining threes like this.
  18. omgTHEpotential

Yeah I agree with that. It would just really suck for our national team to lose out on a talent like that just because he was born and raised in a different place.

Nook likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

So is he Lithuanian or Polish?

20. omgTHEpotential

Lithuanian-American with 100% Lithuanian genes :p

Nook likes this.