1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL EmailGate Super Cancel drama: Gruden fired, Adam Schefter insider outed?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Oct 13, 2021.

?

Email gate, is it good or bad?

1. bad - these are private conversations years ago

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. good - fantastic to find stuff to cancel your enemies and get them fired

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://nypost.com/2021/10/13/adam-schefter-roped-into-jon-gruden-drama-over-email-to-bruce-allen/

Jon Gruden’s inflammatory emails, in which he used derogatory and racially insensitive language that led to him resign as head coach of the Raiders, were part of an investigation of the Washington Football Team by the NFL. The league seized over 650,000 emails, according to several reports.

It’s possible that there are damaging things for a lot of people in those emails, but one interesting tidbit was revealed in a June court filing that led to the revelation of Gruden’s words. In July 2011 during the NFL lockout, ESPN insider Adam Schefter sent an email of an unpublished story to then-Washington GM Bruce Allen, asking for feedback.

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

A lot of the things Gruden said is normal in my circle of friends. I bet most guys here have friends who talk like Gruden. I bet some of you might be the friend who does.

The weird thing that gets my conspiratorial brain going is that Gruden didn't leave out any sacred group of people or ideologies. I have friends who make gay jokes, race jokes, women jokes, share NSFW pictures, complain about woke topics, etc., but it isn't the same guy. :confused:

tinman likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

If you take a step back and see what is going on.
    They are cherry picking because out of 650K emails, they can pick and choose who they want to bring down.

Nobody in the world is Mother Theresa or the Pope on private email, even these Art History Dropouts on Clutchfans have said stuff offensive in private.

Roger Godell got called a F by Gruden several times. You think he wanted him gone?
    Hell yes.

It's dangerous but anyone who works in Corporate knows if they want to get rid of you, it's easy. They can easily find a day or so of you doing or saying something and that's enough.

Exposing Shefter's secrets is bad and looks bad for ESPN.
    He's sending articles to review to NFL people in exchange for dirt.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is it normal in your circle of friends to:

- refer to the size of a black man's lips?

- call someone a f*****?

- say that the NFL shouldn't draft queers?

J.R. likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Probz

Invisible Fan and tinman like this.
  6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Gays > Gruden

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What the hell happened to America

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

These are private companies making decisions regarding news fallout that affects their brand in a very public setting. I find that many of the people who get so worked up about this stuff are the people that would, in the past, champion private industry to make its own decisions. That's exactly what's happening here. Why the difference when it's about subjects like this? I have some guesses.

The things this guy said weren't ok to say 10 years ago either. Your "normal circle of friends" may not include people whose names and identities are so closely tied to massive corporate brands as it is in this case. I can feel sympathy for him having to deal with it now because regret sucks...and I'm sure he's feeling that big time right now...but I can't fault the Raiders for moving on.

ROCKSS, jo mama, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Did Mr. Editor approve this statement? Please let me know if you see anything that should be added, changed, tweaked Mr. Editor.

tinman likes this.
  10. JumpMan

Race jokes and insults... yes
    Gay jokes and insults... yes

Not those particular things because they ain't funny.

The point was that people talk differently in private. I wouldn't believe you if you said you nor anyone around you have said anything that could offend. Especially if you go back 10 years. Especially now that honesty is offensive.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

99ers calling newbs a bunch of suckers
    Yeah

12. tinman

Supporting Member

They were forced to move on
    The emails are for investigating the Washington team but they found Gruden so they handled him
    On a platter
    They have 650K emails they clean the whole nfl out if they wanted but that’s not good tor business

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Multiple sauces

14. bobrek

I'm sure my 16-18 said offensive things. Pretty sure my 20-63 year old self hasn't said anything that would embarrass me or my family.

eric.81 and mikol13 like this.
  15. JumpMan

You're no fun. And dishonest. :p

16. bobrek

Nope...I never hung around with friends that called people faggots or queers. And I was a regular in the Acres Homes area so I had plenty of respect for blacks

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Those words were used quite regularly when I was in middle school and high school. The only friend circle of mine today that uses those terms are the guys I used to serve with. Many of them are very hard core right wing also so it makes sense. None of my other friend circles(college, work, family friends etc) ever say them.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Anyways I'm not a large fan of ending someone's entire career over insensitive language. There always needs to be a pathway to forgiveness if the individual is sincere in their apology.

ROCKSS, Andre0087, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sounds like it's another matter of "locker room talk" or "boys will be boys"

20. bobrek

All he needed to do was to explain what he had done to improve his behavior over the past 10 or so years (some of his repulsive comments were from much less than 10 years ago). If he's done nothing then nothing has changed and he still feels and acts the way he did.

It's one thing to be 16 and an idiot. It's an entirely different thing to be around 50 and an idiot.

jiggyfly, mdrowe00, Reeko and 4 others like this.