1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im surprised they havent gone full Jon Gruden yet in an infantile tantrum.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

You have to be secure in your own skin to show your tears. I bet you think only women and feminine men cry you sexist pig. We all cry, tears are gender neutral.

peleincubus likes this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

He has played pretty bad in the preseason which is 100% fine given this stage of his life/career. My expectations hasn't changed for Jalen Green. Outside of obvious things like strength, Green is going to grow a lot from getting 5 on 5 reps followed by video. A huge chunk of his development up until the ignite has been based on hours and hours of individual workouts/routines and that was evident in the g league and now preseason.

NewAge likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That's the spirit make fun of yourself.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Keep moving the goalposts and showing your ass. You cosign to a guy who says he wants to see "fight" in JG and on the other hand "praise" him for doing just that vs Jimmy Butler?? You are a joke.

majicdonjuan likes this.
  6. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I think he'll average around 15 ppg. The first half of the season for rookies that are in the scorer/swingman role is usually an adjustment period. You have to think about that in the last three years JG has played in three entirely different levels of competition where he was mostly "the man". But I still think this kid is special because he has tools and physical gifts you just can't teach. Everything is mental right now, besides that he'll eventually grow into an NBA body which it should be a given.

Losmi_34, tycoonchip and majicdonjuan like this.
  7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Not saying JG will be an all time player, but you can't write a rookie off based on 3 preseason games. So many great players in NBA played like complete **** in preseason and early in their rookie year. JG is 19 ... he's a teenager lol. He needs experience and to grow out of his body. I expect a decent rookie year out of him and a great sophomore year if he is to follow Booker's trajectory

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  8. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

I expected him to struggle, especially coming into the season. Green has to put on some weight before he really breaks out like everyone expects him to be. He has all of the skills and explosiveness in his game, but he struggles to finish through contact and I think that’s why he has settled for a lot of 3’s so far. I think by mid season he’ll start to get adjusted and know where his spots and role are on the team but I don’t expect him to be a superstar from jump. He’ll probably average somewhere between 15-18 a game and shooting around 42 or 43 percent a game, but it’s nothing to be worried about since he’s a rookie and can and will improve from it. People just need to understand that he’s going to havehis nights where his going to stink it up and his going to have his nights where his going to explode, it’s all apart of being a rookie and a very young one at that, people gotta remember the dude’s only 19, not even old enough to drink yet

#348 htownborn34, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    majicdonjuan, apollo33 and Rocketeer like this.
  9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Bingo! I think this is a big adjustment for him, the physicality of the NBA. Every guard he faces is going to be bigger and stronger than him. He's just used to leaping over defenders. He's going to have to use his quickness and shiftiness to attack the basket and I think it will happen with time until he gets stronger and adds more weight.

apollo33 likes this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I can see the games this season where he gets hot from 3, the defense will play him up close and he will pick them apart and we will think he's the second coming of Jesus. But there will be more games where he will go absolutely cold from 3, and the lanes will be clogged too and he will look really bad.

I personally think he should also develop some mid range game that Booker and Beal has that are not as easy to shut down

charlieaustin and xaos like this.
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

There are idiots on here that thought he would be James Harden his first week in. That Newage guy expected him and KPJ to be CP3 and Harden in the first 3 preseason games, its all just utterly ridiculous lol

Nook likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

The season is around the corner, we'll find out whats really happening then. I dont know if any pre season games tells us anything.

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

Actually, preseason correlates somewhat. At least a lot more correlation than summer league. See these two graphs:

harold bingo likes this.
  14. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You lost all credibility with me right there. Having coached female ball players at the youth sports level, some of the MOST aggressive ball players I've ever seen have been female. Have you ever watched women's basketball (or sports in general)... some of the most aggressive and hard-nosed play out there. Or do you not have an understanding of the definition for the word feminine. The argument you seem to be trying to make is that you don't see enough assertiveness from him, but you chose to use the word feminine.

You don't seem to be stupid, so I'm just going to believe that you knew what you were doing and chose to use the wrong word because you have some other agenda when it comes to JG and guys who look and act like him. Sad.

As for DD's original question, I think many previous posts have proven that JG is no different than some of the other lottery picks out there. He's no different than other young players in general. He'll have some good games and some bad. Consistency will come with putting in the work, learning, and adjusting to the game at this level. My expectations for him haven't changed. He'll struggle but if he puts in the work, will develop into a great scorer and decent defender.

Lastly. Can we stop with the Sengun vs. JG stuff. As much as you folks have nitpicked JG, if we would have picked Sengun at #2 there'd be just as many people on here complaining that he can't shoot from range or his athletic ability is suspect, he can't jump or some other ridiculousness. The Rox are lucky to have them both and I believe that eventually they will be fine complements to each others game.

#354 O-dawg, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  15. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think the word is fine for what I am seeing. If you think it is appropriate for Prince or Justin Bieber, then it is appropriate for Jalen Green...

But your other point is about what you think is a wrong and offensive stereotype, that is offensive to girls. And that is something that is becoming a thing. Basically saying "he throws like a girl", "he runs like a girl", etc. is offensive stereotype portraying girls as non-assertive and meek. That's a separate issue, it's not offensive to Jalen it's offensive to girls.

Also, it is an issue that I happen to know quite a lot about. Generally, on a biochemical level testosterone does correlate with higher aggressiveness, there are studies on that, if you are keenly interested I can find them for you. But the other factor, the social construct, is also at play. That is, in the past girls were meek and non-aggressive because that's what society expected from them. Now with changing gender roles, this is less of a thing, as you have noticed in your coaching. So I am somewhat in agreement with you, although the biochemistry is still a factor in behavior

However, if you read what I have said here, I am not expecting Jalen to play soft because he is feminine. I am saying he is playing up to stereotype, which is disappointing. However, if he can pull off to be a dog (a Diana Taurasi, if you wish), while keeping his feminine personality that would be quite something! I think it will make him extremely unique. I am keeping an open mind. Also, I am truly in awe at Chapelle's mad genius, for having contemplated exactly such thing years ago in his mar1juana-infused brain... Having feminine guys murder macho dudes in a basketball game! As I said many times, if we see that from Jalen, that would be high, high level entertainment.

16. xaos

xaos Member

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Well first of all no one even knows what metric their using to measure anything? They dont even define their axises. And even if you made a regression line there would be plenty of players above that line, the kid is 19 years old. These preseason arent strong indicators of what type of player he's going to be.

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think it's Pelton's proprietary player ratings... I respect him, generally.
    It is what it is: there is correlation, but there is also spread... So on an individual basis predictive value is probably low, on population-level it's somewhat decent.
    For me the main take-home is: trust preseason more than summer league.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I expect him to realize that the superior most talented player on the team, Sengun is who he should defer the ball to when they are both on the court.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Both of which are very little so nothing is particularly meaningful at this point. Again, he's also 19 years old.