1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Like I said maybe it's just me. Admittedly I didn't watch the Patriots game and am basing a lot of this on what I saw against the Browns and Panthers.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I could see that with the first two games. He looked indecisive, and the ball seemed to show that.
    Pats game he looked pretty damn good

3. raining threes

I'm trying to convince myself that he won't be a selfish prick and a Sexual Predator like Watson.

whag00, King1 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

OK fair enough about not watchnig the jags, and clearly Mills is inconsistent, he is a 3rd round QB, who only played 11 games in college, and isnt ready to start from day 1, but he is making progress, lets see whats happens when he gains experience.

HTXSportsAddict, whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He looked pretty good against the Patriots.....and it was a better performance than we've seen from the top 7 QB's drafted last season.

So there's that.

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Exactly…and Taylor not Mills was the one getting all the 1st team reps in training camp and preseason.

Zen Tabak and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I hope he pans out. Never wished failure on the kid, it's for selfish reasons because I'm sitting on a Gem Mint autograph rookie card of his lol.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Continue to build up the defense…get some kind of playmakers at the skill positions…continue to beef up the offensive line and let Mills develop.

Let’s all remember what he’s working with here before we actually judge the kid.

Give him some time and really learn the offense fully.

And I expect pep to take over for Kelly at some point either in season or next year.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

A week ago, if someone asked me who would you play when tyrod was healthy, I would have said tyrod for sure. Now I think you have to let the kid play and maybe have some option plays for tyrod.

Bobbythegreat, cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If Culley tries to start Tyrod then Caserio needs to bring the hammer down on him. The Texans have a 3% chance to make the playoffs right now. Starting Tyrod is counterproductive. Let Mills get some snaps and lock in that high pick. Last week's loss made it abundantly clear, it's tank time, baby.

[​IMG]

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I prefer to see a loss while getting Mills some experience and maybe seeing some improvement from him than a win with a guy that has no future here.

12. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I would probably put Taylor back at starting QB to give Mills a chance to watch from the sidelines and reflect on his few games of experience. Especially if Tunsil gets his surgery. A few more experiences like that Bills game would be detrimental.

But I could definitely be wrong, I don't think it is an easy choice to make

primtim24, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I hope they trade Tunsil, waste of space

bigdaddy and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Naw I’m with you start Taylor and let Mills get back to watching and learning.

He had a good run.

Hank McDowell and Zen Tabak like this.
  15. conquistador#11

2 more outings like Sunday's and posters will want to sacrifice that acl for a World Series.

HeyBudLetsParty and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why though? Taylor has no future here, why not give Mills a much experience as possible? It's not like they'll be winning anything anyway

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Give him time to reflect…and trust me we won’t be winning anything with Taylor either.

Let Mills reflect pinpoint the things he really needs to work on now that he has a couple of games on film.

I understand your point about experience but in some cases it could be detrimental especially playing for a rebuilding team who is not going to do much winning.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was as down as anybody on him initially. That's kind of why I started the thread. But actually on Sunday, he looked like a legit NFL quarterback. When I say that, I mean he didn't look completely overwhelmed by everything, he was playing with confidence, was decisive in his decisions, and wasn't running everywhere in slow motion.

His mistakes that he makes are still there. But they are fixable mistakes. The fact that he doesn't have a ton of starting experience, coupled with the drastic improvement, do give me hope that he will work to fix those mistakes. I'm actually cautiously optimistic on him. I still don't know if he'll ever be in every week starter in the NFL, but after last week I think he could probably stick in the NFL as a backup at the very least. If he continues to play like he did last week, he will be a serviceable starter in the NFL at least.

Of course all these are opinions drawn on far too little actual game day tape, but at this point, I want Tyrod to take his time with his hamstring, because it's imperative to know what you have in Mills.

The biggest takeaway is that his improvement from one week to the next was impressive. As much as people want to compare him to Watson when Watson was first starting out, that's about the only thing we have in common. Watson progressed every single week as a rookie to where by the end of the year he was literally shouldering the team week in and week out. If we see that kind of progression from Mills, we'll have our answer, especially considering his lack of playing experience in recent years.

That's not to say I think he's as good as Watson was as a rookie. He's not. He doesn't have the experience or pedigree that Watson had, and that's okay as long as he's willing to work and improve every single week.

david_rocket and steddinotayto like this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Good for Mills to take the back seat again smart.

Rockets34Legend and Zen Tabak like this.
  20. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

First rookie QB in history to throw for 300+ yards, 3TD's with a rating of 140+.

Or so I read on the interwebs.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.