1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

So now we aren't even allowed to compare him to good players. Why the hell did we draft him then?

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

the main ones who viewed Jalen Green as franchise altering where the delusional and nonsensical people throwing out names like MJ and Kobe like it’s nothing

if u were more level headed, rationale, and realistic, then comps like Bradley Beal and Zach Lavine tell u that he can 1 day be a very talented scorer who puts up numbers, but is ultimately not a franchise changer or superstar, and that is Jalen Green’s most likely high end outcome

all this MJ and Kobe talk was disrespectful to those greats

both Zach Lavine and Bradley Beal weren’t even good until year 5…before that they were nothing more than mediocre scorers who did nothing else so lol at people acting like the sky falling based off preseason games…many of these people the same ones who were on his nuts from game 1 of SL against the Cavs proclaiming his greatness

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

If Jalen Green's upside is Lavine and Beal and they weren't even good until year 5, then Jalen Green in year 1 must be - not good! People throwing hissing fits when I state facts.

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You're really locking in on the specifics of who I choose. It doesn't have to be a hall of fame level player. What about Donovan Mitchell, 20 points on 44/34/80, is that an unreasonable expectation? Tyreke Evans had 20 points on 46% shooting. Anthony Edwards had 19 on 42%. OJ Mayo had 18 on 44%. Wiggins averaged 17 on 44%. Do I need to continue?

All I'm saying is that it's not crazy to expect him to have a nice season. You've got people in here saying that we should all be fine with 12 points on 30% shooting, and that this should be in line with our expectations. That should be disappointing for a #2 overall pick. It's not crazy to expect him to be better.

NewAge likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

There are so many confounding variables such as coaching and the players around him.

Example is Mitchell got drafted into a great situation with a competent coach that implanted a system.

Right now the entire team on offense are running around like headless chickens with horrible spacing led by a 21 year old pg who never played pg.

You have to look at the situations.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

LOL.... Ja and Luka are more than merely "good players".

Come on now......

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

17-19 on league average-ish efficiency(I’m expecting under but he could surprise). 3-5 rebounds, 2-4 assists

Hitting the high end of those predictions with good efficiency should give him a good shot at ROY.

8. dmoneybangbang

Well then you don't really appreciate your argument when you were clearly bringing up Luka and Ja type impacts.

Which is different than when you were talking about having Luka and Ja- like impacts or the SG equivalent of it.

I want him to have a nice season too, but I'd hope for something more like Beal than Wade or Luka or Ja.

I saw @DaDakota make that statement, but I don't really see the thread saying that.

I too expect better than that.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah because I am joking around calling someone a dweeb because they said Green “is too girly” to be good. Then laughing because someone thinks the two European guys are the most ready (as if that is the most important metric for who the best pick would be before they even play a single solitary regular season game)

Take your overly serious message board BS and shove it up your well defined non girly exquisite Sculped European ass.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

Let's go over this step by step, hopefully things will clear:
    1. I called Jalen feminine because he is. If you don't see it, then I don't have anything else to say to you, but my wife asked me if that's a girl when I was watching his highlights.
    2. Feminine is not an insult or a slur, but some guys here, including you, took it as such. That's your issue. Many men, including famous celebrities are feminine. From time to time it is even very schick, as it was in the 80s (reference to the Chapelle clip) and also nowadays. If you think that's an insult, that's your issue: my passing "virtue judgement" on you was meant as a joke.
    3. Being feminine, traditionally is not a good quality for an NBA player. Neither is being short. Neither is being uncoordinated. That doesn't mean it's an insult. It's a criticism, and in this case it is more of a concern than criticism for our supposed franchise player. If we cannot pass opinions, criticisms or concerns about Rockets players, then 80% of this message board should be banned.
    4. Your language towards me is absolutely unacceptable! But whatever, I am not going to get in a titzy over that. You do you, hopefully makes you happy.

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

This draft was over-hyped for sure.

12. HeyBudLetsParty

Jalen Green wearing nail polish is objectively feminine, but he could wear a ****ing dress for all I care if he balls out

Williamson and NewAge like this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Was Tim Duncan feminine? SMH. Our society of labels and what is deemed "acceptable" are outdated and intolerant. For some to go on attack mode, and then cry victim is severely disingenuous to everyone here. What's next homosexual attacks? Your own ideals and upbringing is your own and shouldn't be forced on anyone else. This flame war started when certain people made fun of someone's looks and style as if that is what is a defining characteristic of any one of us such as when some of you said that KPJ and JG painting their nails black was "gay" without any relevant knowledge to what the background to the cause was. The bully tribe is what is not acceptable and if you are "man enough" to dish it then you should be "man enough" to take in return.

[​IMG]

Joe Rocket likes this.
  14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Green will either be bad or he wont. Green will either improve or he wont. This is what rebuilding looks like. I know Harden spoiled us but you have to get over that. Ive been saying for months nothing beats real NBA starting experience. You need your young guys out there night after night to see how they respond to the challenge. Thats the way we find out if he/they is a future star or not and if he's that bad by season's end, hey atleast we have our pick. There is no guarantee that anyone will be a star the only thing the Rockets can do is to set them up for success by giving them the room to grow.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah that would be insane! Real-life imitating comedy. I'd be front-row cheering, BTW.

16. HeyBudLetsParty

no one is calling him homosexual you’re making assumptions. Since the late 1800s primarily women paint their nails to enhance beauty, men have every right to do it if it makes them feel comfortable and more confident. Doesn’t change the fact for the last 200 years it’s been a primarily female practice…

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Luka and Ja were just two examples I brought up off the top of my head as high impact players, I never meant to imply that Jalen had to be equal to them. If I could go back and re-write that first post I would have chosen different examples to avoid this confusion. I had just gotten done reading the entire thread and there were a lot of posters throughout who were saying that his play thus far is fine, and should be in line with with our expectations. A lot of people also said that we, as rockets fans, shouldn't expect a lot out of Jalen in his first year.

I just don't agree. He's the #2 overall pick, that's where our franchise decided to draft him. Unless you think this is a historically bad draft (and I know some do), I think it's pretty reasonable to expect the #2 pick to have a nice first season on a team where he's going to get a ton of minutes. And I wasn't going off DD's post, I was going off his current averages. Through the preseason he's averaging 12 points on 34% shooting, that's what he's shown us so far.

18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Only 40% I beleive of the #2 picks go on to become allstars so honestly it can go either way. He is gonna need time. There is a whole list of superstars that had terrible first years so yes it is a bit unreasonable to expect him to play well right away.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

No not sarcastic. He needs to develop handles and his body and his shot. He's getting clobbered out there because of the giant bulls eye on his back. Number 2 draft pick. All the talk he's done. Even when Kobe came in the league, he came off the bench. It's not how he starts it is how he ends his career. I'm glad he has confidence but sometimes you need more than that. It's KPJ's and Wood's and Sengun's show for now. Heck maybe even start Brooks.
    Yes I believe coming off the bench for right now would be best for Green. A) for his confidence, so he can work the second units b) so he doesn't get hurt c) so he realizes this team will also hold him accountable.. give him a lesson that nothing will be given. It will be earned!

20. i3artow i3aller

Green and KPJ have been wearing nail polish to raise awareness and support physically and sexually abused children during the month of October. It's an awesome gesture by some manly men.

https://polishedman.com/