1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Raptors 10/11/2021 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I dont know about you but I would take a .500 team right now with a young all star LMAO. Not saying im advocating a Simmons trade but we certainly would be better short term with him depending on the trade. I dont think he's trash or overrated, I think he's pretty good and I think he is what he is and the Sixers are using him wrong. If you asked me last year if I wanted Simmons for Harden I said hell no because I wanted to rebuild. But Simmons would be a nice piece to have at the right price, the problem is Morey wants way too much for him. Ofcourse our coaching staff might not know how to use him either going by these last few games so its all mute anyway.

D-rock likes this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Green just need to focus on 2 things: scoring and playing defense....being playmaker is too much for him. I i know he is a good shooter for being a rookie and his first step is Iverson-like.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I think they're purposefully not coaching much right now. It's an odd strategy, but it's what they're doing.

I just want people to be realistic. We will not have 60 losses that are "moral victories," to use a common phrase. They'll be ugly losses and our young players will look bad in those ugly losses.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

KPJ is not pushing the ball up court, and not giving the ball to Wood.

jch1911 and cheke64 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't want to "be better short term" though. I don't know how long you've followed Rockets basketball but I've witnessed past teams walking on the mediocrity treadmill. It's fun at first but then you wonder when will this team ever get to contending status. I'm perfectly content to see this team suck and lose if it means 1. we get as many high picks as possible and 2. gives our young players time to develop without having to worry about getting to a certain number of wins to satisfy the fanbase short term.

ramotadab and Verbal Christ like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He wants 10 assist. He's only giving it if it's a lob or green shooting a 3 pointer.

8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Green is a prime time scorer and a very good shooter as well. However we cannot depend on him being our 1st or 2nd option! If he is our 3rd option and just shoot and score and not made into a playmaker right now...he will be fine and should score18 points a game...55% FG, 41% 3's and 85 FTs...we are putting too much pressure on him let him concentrate on defense, shooting and scoring

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is not a good strategy. Are we the Pistons or Kings? I want to be like the hawks or Raptors, young and winning.

D-rock and ramotadab like this.
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Right I agree, I didnt say I want him and I also said Im not advocating for a trade I was saying he's not a bad player he's pretty good if you use him correctly. I also dont think he's a diva. I think he responded like a human whose jersey was being burned by the fans and whose team threw him under the bus and blamed him for everything. the same team who informed him he'd be traded and he wasnt. Now that he wants to leave he's "a diva" and "overrated" lol

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Honestly by the fact that all the coaching staffs interviews amount to "we're just rolling the ball out" I would say you're right about that. We only look good when a few players play well individually but a good defensive team will make you look bad quickly in the nba without any sort of gameplan or strategy unless you have a couple of superstars.

12. Nook

Nook Member

He was known for having a shitty attitude in Europe. He made a lot of effort mistakes with the Spurs. Just on that play, his spacing was off, his effort to get the ball off the pass was poor and then he didn't get back..... this wasn't a single mistake. He was a high draft pick by the Spurs, but he isn't talented enough to get away with poor effort.

D-rock, Verbal Christ and Joe Rocket like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Jalen Green isn't going to be a "bust". He is too quick, has excellent hand/eye coordination and can shoot. At worst he is going to be an elite scorer that is one dimensional. The question is HOW good is he going to be and that depends on his ability to play make and defend and get more easy buckets.

14. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Sounds like Bradley Beal to me. If we're talking he can score but not defend that is. He is more athletic though so maybe a Zach Lavine. The kid needs to put on 10 -15 lbs of muscle and work with a defensive coach everyday.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon people. Jalen will get there, but he's got a long ways to go. EG and Sengun need to be starting to provide some continuity out there.

KPjr needs the ball in his hands right now, so HE can grow out top. (JG takes away from that)

Also, not happy with the refs swallowing their whistles every time Kevin would drive...couldn't get a call.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he lacks practice and in game practice, and other players as well... when you have practiced your stuff to death nervousness is GONE...youre automatic then...you knowo your stuff and you know that you know and theres no one stopping you...theres no reason for nervousness then...

we need to bring a new coach who will make our players work harder and play harder than the others... you can not expect to outtalent the others...every team has talented players and a lot of them.. this is NBA, but you can work more and play harder than the others...
    expecting to win something with below average coach and average players leads you nowhere... no matter how much you tank... you will always be medicre at best... you need to WORK LIKE A CHAMPION...only then the results will come

D-rock and ramotadab like this.
  17. BelgianRocketsFan

Just finished watching the game :eek:
    We were totally outplayed, that´s on Silas. And on Jeff H, just because he´s from Utah.

Imho, everybody sucked, Tate and Sengun excluded.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The players were not ready to play and there should be a accountability to each player. Scoot seem to have a attitude and will go off if things does not go right by him. I think we need Wall and Gordon in our 10 man lineup, Sengun needs 28 minutes at least. Brooks need to play more late in the 1st quarter and not in the 4th quarter. I think we can shoot efficient every game and be 5 out of 11 from the 3 point line. He can be a prime time shooter for us and can space out of offense. What about Sengun with Gordon and Brooks on the court the same tim?. Sengun could be our Point Forward(Simmons) in our offense, and having Brooks, Gordon and even Green behind the 3 point line will be awesome.

ramotadab and D-rock like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sengun can play like a beast but its for naught if we are having gordon outhere shooting 30 footers 4 seconds in the shotclock... you cant win that way...
    this team desperately needs to learn the value of a single possession...
    value of passing( and passing quickly... boy do they like to dribble the air out of ball) and the patience of always(always!) looking for the best shot ...these guys have no conscience and dont get concept of what is a quality shot
    dont let me get started on defense or even ft shooting lololol
    these guys need to lock themsleves in the gym and practice 3pt shooting till they hands bleed
    its the only way.... you cant win nothing in this league if you average

btw keep doctor lucas away from the shooting practices... not sure if any of the rockets in the last decade was a great 3pt shooter or become a better 3pt shooter on rockets

pippendagimp likes this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

Adjusting to physicality and foul calls.
    • The Raptors came out of the gate with defense. Little too physical, but Refs were letting it happen. It got the starters out of rhythm. Rocket's effort was there, but they were in a mode of defending without fouling. Wasn't until later that Rocket players started being more physical too.
    • KPJ took a number of spills. Sengun got shouldered tackled as well. Is anyone on the team an enforcer? Could have used one.
    Van Fleet and the little things
    1. In one of the early plays, Green was backing down Van Fleet at the dunker spot. Van Fleet started one hand pushing Green's back, nearly pushed Green out of bounds. Ref didn't call anything. A turnover when Green's passed out. After that Green didn't go inside in Q1. Van Fleet is stocky, but Green has height over him. Some of it is knowing your match-up. In Van Fleet's case, Green probably should have shot over him instead of backing him down.
    2. Van Fleet was constantly looking for Barnes who was running on fast breaks. After a couple of those, Rockets coach should have stressed more. There was one where Barnes out ran Sengun at the break. Sengun was running while watching Van Fleet, instead of chasing his man (Barnes).
    3. Van Fleet is also always talking to the ref. In Q1, as soon as one of his teammates got called fouls, he walked over. When Sengun scored on him in the post, he went over again. Shortly after, Sengun gets called for defensive 3sec. Straight answer is play better, minimize mistakes. But also nobody on our squad chats up the ref during dead ball. Not advocating whining after a miss; but calmly chat them up during free throws. Plenty times Raptors defenders parked in the paint. Rocket players (or coaches) should try to advocate.
    Misc.
    • Opponent is sagging off of Theis. Rockets finding Theis when he's left open. If Theis feels his jumper is not landing, go inside for a dunk. He might get fouled or a chance to free up a teammate when Raptor defense collapse.
    • Stepping out of bounds when at the 3pt line. It happens, but think two or three Rocket players got caught when they received the ball at the 3pt line. Those are momentum killers, especially when you're trying to make a comeback.
    Positives
    • Tate was decent on his individual defense. Drew a charge that helped changed the momentum in Q1. In Q2, Raptors ran play to switch OG onto Green for bully ball, Tate quickly ran over to post defend OG and pointed Green to take his man instead. Also post game interview, didn't use familiarity as an excuse.
    • KPJ was chasing loose ball possessions. Even if those didn't end up in Raptors turnovers, by going after them, it lessened some of their fast breaks. The effort was definitely there. He got raked a lot when bring the ball up. Raptors was going 3/4th court in Q1 for that lead. Rockets should have things in their pocket when opponent ball pressure our pg. Screens, dribble handoffs...etc. Different NBA teams are testing us, Rockets can't lay down.
    • Gary Trent kicked his leg out at the 3. The coach's challenge was good.
    • Augustin, Green, Martin, Nawaba, Garuba line up wasn't too bad in Q2. Caused Raptors turnovers, enough for Nurse to call a timeout.

#880 TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021