1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Facebook & Social Media is what is wrong with America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They don’t ban social media they control it.

Lets say they think the Korean music groups are too influential
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/06/business/china-bts-kpop-fans.html

Chinese Social Media Site Suspends K-Pop Fan Accounts

This week, Chinese internet users both celebrated and criticized the suspension of the K-pop fan accounts. Some saw it as a necessary balm against idol worship and excessive spending on celebrities, even going as far as to call BTS an “anti-China group” and Korean pop music a form of “cultural invasion.”

#22 tinman, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    DaDakota likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am in that group yep. Actually leaving FB though....nothing positive from being there.

DD

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Jontro

What about DESEAN WATSON? Is he going to leave INSTRAGRAM?? (Owned by Facebook)

For the Art History Dropouts, IG = Instagram (owned by Facebook)
    DeSean Watson is a Houston sports star (Houston is a city in Texas for the dumb Boston people here)

Jontro likes this.
  5. DaDakota

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I agree with you. The fracturing... the decline of civility started w 24-hr cable news decades before social media. Now the process is on steroids, and not just for oldsters.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This. News became entertainment and Politics has now become like sporting events. The media both social and otherwise are fighting for eyeballs and they know what topics will generate the most views or how to phrase those topics.

I just saw on yahoo that idiot White Sox relievers comments turned into a headline of something like “Astros face renewed cheating allegations!” Like the Commissioner was filing for an investigation or something.

The problem is you have to be crazier and louder to attract the attention because there is so much competition and it never sleeps and never stops. It’s just a downward spiral to the lowest level of human behavior.

8. DaDakota

You guys are only half there, and are missing the point, there is a vast difference between PASSIVE media - watching TV and active media - FB, Insta etc.....

When you are an active participant it is much more impressionable on your mind - not to mention the phone where most of the interaction takes place is a very personal device, whereas a television is generally outside of your personal bubble.

Consider this both TV and the phone are used while you are in bed by many, yet the TV turns off, and you go to bed, whereas the phone can PING you actively to get your attention - BIG BIG difference.

Not to say TV is not a problem - it is, but it is not near the problem social media is....or the harm it is causing.

DD

9. B-Bob

We're quibbling over nothing really. I agree social media is far worse, but the anger economy was taking root no matter what, and if Americans are good at anything, it's squeezing every dollar out of an effective business model. Once CNN and Fox were so successful, and comments sections took off, etc, it was just a matter of time whether it looked like FB and Twitter or something else.

I just think it's part of a process and didn't start with social media, but it doesn't really matter. The direction is clear enough.

EDIT: I didn't even mention all that poisonous call-in AM radio predating social media. Yikes.

#29 B-Bob, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So if social media are the vehicles of our destruction, what do folks think of the D&D here? It is social media, and we talk politics and all things divisive. Does this forum contribute to or mitigate the problem?

11. DaDakota

Difference is that we are here controlling what we see.....we don't have negative algorithms pushing content to us.

DD

12. B-Bob

Can we vote for neither? :D

Seriously, if we just raise awareness in one another, even a few of us, that's a net positive.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I control my personal content on Facebook. I simply ignore or report it.

14. B-Bob

You ignore or report your own content. Sad!

King1 and Nook like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Imagine if BTS said something like KILL COMMUNIST!!!

What impact could that have?

Rocket River

16. DaDakota

You don't you get pushed into groups that try to keep you on the platform longer. You get shown content that you have posted about before, maybe even argued about, they want you longer, more time, more ads, more money.

Watch the documentary, FB is pure evil.

DD

17. bobrek

Sure..they might push stuff to me, but I'm disciplined enough to ignore it. No one forced me to read that crap.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Algorithms no, but we have trolls offering inflammatory content, and then the troll-feeders promoting that content by responding to it.

You could also say we cultivate a homogenous echo chamber (I've seen conservatives say we do) by being hostile to those who don't agree and/or by using the ignore list to shun them. Then we're vulnerable to disinformation with no doubting voices present or partisan dogpiling on the outrage of the day.

I like to think this forum also has its virtues that make it different. The longform format means people need to make arguments and not just meme their way through (though some do anyway). The ease of linking and quoting means posters can and are often expected to bring evidence. And the fact that people end up coming because of basketball allegiances instead of political ones means we get some diversity of political thought coming in. But that might all be rationalizing.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I have a Facebook account, but I hardly ever use it. Once in a while I’ll communicate with some overseas family members who uses Messenger. I’m tempted now to just delete the account, particularly if I’m unknowingly being tracked through it.

I use Twitter too, though rarely post or reply there, and I only follow a handful of people. It seems like a useful tool to get information, but I have to resist the urge to reply to people sometimes where I know the conversation isn’t going to go anywhere.

20. bobrek