1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] ALDS Astros vs. White Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2021.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Build a ****ing roof !!

Uprising, AuburnRocket, Tfor3 and 2 others like this.
  2. Elienator

Elienator Member

Yes, a Framber start at home is better than an Urquidy start on the road. Getting to start your #1 and #2 on normal rest is better than your #3/4 and #1.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world if Urquidy starts game 4 since outside of McCullers there’s not a lot separating the other guys. If McCullers is feeling good I think you go with him though.

3. jayfree

jayfree Member

Let's get one thing straight. Astros are winning this series and I'd prefer they do it with McCullers in Game #4 than with McCullers in Game #5

astros123 and Elienator like this.
  4. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

What a typical cap to last night. Won’t even be able to watch tomorrow because the a**holes at MLB gave us another afternoon start time.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Dodgers
    Yankees
    Red / White Sox
    Rangers
    Athletics

Teams I will always hate going forward.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Even if it was the only game tomorrow it would have been an afternoon start time. If it goes to game 5 then they have to fly to Houston after the game.

7. Buck Turgidson

Has to be an afternoon start because they're traveling after the game. Hopefully only 1 team.

AuburnRocket, Bregatron and Elienator like this.
  8. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

You guys are way overthinking this. LMJ in Game 4 is no-brainer. Pushing LMJ back to game 3 of the ALCS is not a loss and in fact may be a win considering he would start Game 7 as well or WS Game 1.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

On Monday, Astros general manager James Click strongly refuted the implication.

“We are all cognizant of the history here at the Astros, but a big part of the reason that Dusty and I were brought here was because we know that kind of stuff can never happen again,” Click said. “I can say unequivocally that nothing untoward is going on here. If people are going to keep being suspicious if this organization, that’s their prerogative and their priority. It’s not where our focus is. Our focus is on winning the series.”

Astros manager Dusty Baker added, "Those are some heavy accusations. We're about the same runs, OPS and everything — actually better on the road than we are at home. I think they're actually better at home than on the road. I don't have much response."

BigMaloe, Handles, King1 and 5 others like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

The whole thing is even dumber and funnier considering that LaRussa used cameras to steal signs back in his 1st stint with the White Sox

11. Elienator

Elienator Member

He may not be great in game, but I like Dusty calling out that the White Sox perform much better at home than on the road.

Radricky and everyday eddie like this.
  12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

poor man ballparks......defeated by rain.

Tfor3 likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Then why care whether or not McCullers starts game 1 or game 3 of the next series, for instance? If your view is based on there is no difference which games players start, then if LMJ starts game 1 and game 5 in the ALCS, there is no difference to if he starts Game 3 and game 7, instead.

Truth is there are a million variables that goes beyond just who starts the games that determine what creates the best chances of winning. It's impossible to capture them all, so it's best to just focus on the scenario with the least variables, which is how to win game 4.

14. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

This rainout is a huge win for us. Instead of Urquidy, who probably gives you five innings max, now we have two guys lined up for Games 4 and 5 who can give you 7 or even 8 innings. This should help cover up our crappy bullpen for the rest of the series.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I'm certainly not making a blanket statement that order makes no difference. I'm saying that you can't conclude that starting LMJ in game 4 gives us the best chance to win the series simply because starting LMJ in game 4 gives us the best chance to win game 4. (Maybe you aren't saying that, but lots of people are.) And if it's a tossup, why wouldn't you select the strategy that leaves you better positioned for the next series.

In the end I look at LMJ's home-road splits and thing it's probably better to start him in Game 4 and Framber in Game 5 if necessary. So we end in the same place. But "you start LMJ in game 4 because he's your best pitcher" is not, as some people seem to be suggesting, the explanation for how you are optimizing your chances of winning the series.

17. jayfree

jayfree Member

The comment about sign stealing is obviously a plot to get the public to remember that and hopefully root against the Astros. The White Sox are in desperation mode and all the Stros have to do is play their game like they have been and get ready for the ALCS.

Oh and the Astros not doing anything in the later innings of Game #3 had to do with the emotional defeat by the umps. You can't conveniently look at a few innings as proof and then forget that the Astros scored 6 runs at the beginning.

King1, Tfor3 and TheRealist137 like this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Id say it’s more psychological warfare hoping to get under the Astros players skin throwing them off their game.

19. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

Framber hasn't gone 8 all year. He's only gone 7 4 times since the middle of June.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/36581/framber-valdez

I think Framber is probably the better choice and is definitely the better pitcher long term, but their game scores have not been that different recently.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

no kidding. this just ruined my fukin day