1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall - how long will he be happy not playing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know that the Rox and he have an agreement to try to trade him, but will he be willing to sit out all year? I doubt any team will take a shot at him with that enormous contract - it would be hard to do any deal with him.

I predict around December he will get antsy and start wanting to play - and will become a problem - I just don't see the Rockets being able to move him.

And he is going to want to continue to ressurrect his career.

Thoughts?

DD

juanming and Rocket River like this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Until his contract runs out

kjayp and hakeem94 like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don' think he will be willing to sit 2 years.......he will start worrying about the next contract and he is only 31 - just seems that unless we find someone that really wants him, he might become an issue.

Just feels weird to me.

DD

Rocket River likes this.
  4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Well, so far it seems like Wall intends to show up to every game completely stoned, so maybe he’s not too worried about it.

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not something I’m concerned with, because if he’s not happy, he can opt out. You will not hear a peep from him until next year for this reason. And the Rockets will buy him out at some point in his final year if they can’t make a trade for his expiring contract. So there’s no real reason for him to say much then, either. I’m certain both sides have discussed all of these scenarios and are fine with it.

red5rocket, Rocket River and xiki like this.
  6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Trust me he’s happy. 40 something mill and on coke / weed daily. Hitting up Strip clubsssss

the life of Harden, I mean Wall.

7. i3artow i3aller

I appreciate John Wallet and his professionalism more and more with each new Benji headline. Tank commander, I salute you.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I think he's either hurt or a trade is lined up already that cannot be executed until a player becomes trade eligible. I couldn't imagine him being happy doing this otherwise.

I don't see how someone who missed 2 years of basketball would willingly sit out a full season without a peep, even if he's getting paid $40 Million. If everything is exactly as its being laid out to us and he's willingly sitting out with no trade on the horizon, then there is absolutely 0 chance he isn't bought out next summer.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If I had to guess, right after all-star weekend. He's gonna talk to so many players recruiting him.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

if he does grow unhappiest sufficiently
    and if he’s recruited hard to a place he wants to go
    then, voila, he initiates a buy-out FO can live with

JW’s roster spot just might have a value.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i suspect he is plotting right now to cause disturbance in lockerrrom just to force stone to make him savior and bring him back to the court to play....

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Man was content playing on the wizard for years. I can see him sitting out the whole 2 years earning free money. Winning isn't that big of a thing for him. But thats just my read

fattz and DaDakota like this.
  13. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Agree, it is weird. Morey definitely made some strong decisions (James) while he was here BUT he also made some equally bad decisions most importantly those last few years. The CP3 decision was great. You cannot control player health. But the Russ and Wall deals are what crushed us. Stone has already made some nice moves.

Bringing this back to Wall, he's gonna be in for some serious sticker shock when he goes to sign his next deal because IF he even gets a long term deal it will be like 3yrs/25mil and I question whether anyone offers that. I don't think he is a vet minimum guy at 2 to 2.5mil per but he's definitely not 12 to 15 mil per either.

The likeliest scenario for Houston is trade him next season as an expiring but this is not likely as it means we probably take on some other bad deals unless we get another young start plus a bad deal. Maybe a buyout next year on the last year of his deal. Could be a cap saving move.

Rocket River likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is why players almost always make bad GMs

harold bingo likes this.
  15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I see what you did there
    [​IMG]

red5rocket and Patience like this.
  16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I am perfectly fine with wall and Watson sitting for a couple of years. Don't want to honor your contact then enjoy doing nothing getting paid millions. I need to find me one of those gigs.

pr0wler likes this.
  17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m tired of carrying the level of happiness from professional basketball players

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Lol they r literally set for life. The majority of American won't even get close to that amount of cash

eliefor3 likes this.
  19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

He's been fooled that we're trading him/buying him out but that's unlikely with how much he's owed.

Once he realizes it's not happening he's going to get angry and cause a ruckus.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It really doesn't matter whether he is happy or not. It looks like Ben Simmons is going to have to tuck his tail in-between his legs and crawl back to the Sixers. And how much more leverage did he have? He's younger. He's healthy. He's paid significantly less. He's on a longer contract, which could appeal to smaller market teams that struggle to attract free agents. And yet still the Sixers can't be rid of him for an acceptable package.

theDude likes this.