1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How could the umpiring crew blow the obvious call on the Gurriel to home throw?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Yordan The Great

He was trying to establish his lane?

Might as well have said "he didn't mean anything by it".

MLB, that's embarrassing.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Unfortunately, he didn't break any rules. It was a judgement call as to whether or not he intentionally threw his shoulder into the throw.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The runner clearly ran out of the baseline solely to interfere with the throw and the ump let it go because the interference benefitted the White Sox.

I mean, if you look at the disparity between what was called balls and strikes for White Sox pitchers compared to what was called balls and strikes for Astros pitchers, you knew the ump was doing his best to put his thumb on the scales of the game so it shouldn't be THAT surprising.

4. Elienator

Elienator Member

Watching the replay, as soon as he sees where the ball is going he clearly veers more into the grass before then moving back a little after the throw. He went out of the lane he established even if you are generous in saying he established a lane.

I get it’s not reviewable and maybe not that easy to judge in real time from field level, but it wasn’t the shoulder that made it intentional.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Read the rule. Seems like a bad rule, and we'd all be praising any Astro that did the exact same thing.

6. Elienator

Elienator Member

I think the rule we are talking about is 5.09(b)(3). A runner is out when "he intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball."

I don't disagree it's a judgement call and not reviewable. Watching the replay I believe the runner made a clear change in direction in his running that was not towards first base and into the path of the ball. If he was trying to get to first as quick as possible, he would not have changed direction the way he did. You can't move unintentionally, and he was watching the play and changed direction to head more towards the fielder so that to me shows intention (whether it conscious or just a reaction).

7. Buck Turgidson

Both HPU and 1BU managed to screw that call up. Shocking, I know.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Praise might not be the word I'd use. More like relieved he didn't get called out for, at worst, a rules violation, and at best, a morally questionable decision.

He established a lane, and clearly went even further to the left into the grass to impede the throw.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

So they would have had to see it and call it live or huddle up and talk about it and change it based on their memory of it?

If that's the case, well, I hate to be ageist but half of these umpires were calling games with Hank Aaron, so their vision and overall coherency isn't exactly great.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

11. TheresTheDagger

12. Yordan The Great

I've seen countless times a runner trying to beat out a dribbler and being right on the line get called out for interference when the throw to first hits him.

Not only is Grandal not even near the line much less on the dirt area outside the line where he is designated to run, but he's not even on the dirt portion on the inside of the line, he's on the freaking grass.

This is beyond the pale for the refs to get this wrong.

right1 likes this.
  13. Elienator

Elienator Member

The rules are different and more clear on a throw to first.

In this case it is a judgement call and I think it was bad judgement. I'm obviously an Astros homer, but the intent seems pretty clear to me after watching replays.

Rock Block likes this.
  14. TheresTheDagger

15. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I just watched the crew on MLB Tonight discuss it and the replays. They're also saying we got hosed on this one. The first base camera shooting to home tells you all you need to know. The 1st base ump blew it. Right out of the box Grandal ran right at Yuli. It was obviously intentional and he should've been called out. Oh well, next game.

16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

You'd have to be blind, deaf, dumb and stupid to not see he intentionally did that. Hence, that is why most Astros fans with a pair of good eyes are pissed at the Umpires.

King1 likes this.
  17. TheresTheDagger

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If that was considered legal, then they need to change the rules before next season to make a runner automatically out if he runs that far inside the line on the grass because he obviously gets in the way of throws to and from home on the field of play. Also, players wouldn't be able to advance obviously from base paths.

I can't believe something like that would be considered legal...intentional by the runner or not. How is it even possible he was that far inside if it wasn't intentional? Obviously, existing rule is completely flawed if it can't be applied here.

Such a f-ing sham.

#18 Surfguy, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Hmm...didn't even mention the pivotal missed strike call that would have been strike 3 and, later in the at-bat, resulted in a White Sox HR to completely change the trajectory of the inning and game. That was the worst missed call.

20. TheresTheDagger