1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

You're completely off your meds man.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

#202 D-rock, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    dragonwill, jch1911 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im off my meds for quoting what the coaching staff said? Oh never mind I replied to you by mistake lol stupid phone I meant to reply to the other guy (DreamShook).

D-rock likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

man not everything is a joke, you can rag on me if you want, but @Joe Rocket is a revered cf member here, he means a lot to a lot of people....

#204 hakeem94, Oct 10, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

You on the other hand, need to double your daily doses.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahahhahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

D-rock, Joe Rocket and FrontRunner like this.
  7. bmelo

bmelo Member

Thats not a good look

8. bmd

bmd Member

I don’t know about his offense, but I gotta be honest... I don’t think he has the personality to be a head coach.

hakeem94 and NewAge like this.
  9. bmd

bmd Member

At least MDA had a philosophy and system designed to get those shots. There was an identity. And let’s be honest, it was extremely successful. They won 65 games one year. The entire league adopted his style to some extent.

Bo6, D-rock, Dobbizzle and 2 others like this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

There's been so much turmoil over the last two years. I'm sure Silas was planning on having Wall run the offense, even though the board wasn't, and that was changed just about 2 months from training camp. Not to mention integrating 4 rookies, two with significant professional experience overseas. I'm not saying Silas is making all the right moves, but this is going to be a major work in progress. Just seems a bit unreasonable to expect Silas to have it figured it out and implemented in the second game of the pre season.

It feels like many on here haven't come to gripes with the Rockets being a bottom team.

Rashmon, Y2JT and 34to11 like this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t think MDA is a championship coach, but he would be amazing with this group of offensive players in Houston. Defense be damned he’d have us no. 1 on offense in no time. It would be fun, except we would win enough to get out of lottery, but would not be competitive in the playoffs when grabbing, illegal picks, and big market bias takes over.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. 34to11

34to11 Member

Freudian slip aside, you're spot on.

I'm as excited about this team as anyone but people have to realize:
    1) The Rockets have a 2nd year coach
    2) guiding a rebuilding team
    3) featuring a late blooming big,
    4) a rookie shooting guard,
    5) and a converted point guard going through on-the-job training.

If you don't have patience and perspective these Rockets are NOT the squad for you :D

Rashmon, Dobbizzle and Y2JT like this.
  13. NewAge

NewAge Member

I don't get the "patience" mantra!
    We can fully accept to be bad, but how does it follow that we need to accept poor and disorganized coaching?
    Memphis is a young team that is still not very good, borderline play-in, with young "stars". But they are a very, very well-coached team. Are they some clueless eager-beavers for having good coaching and a system that maximizes their current skill level? How's that a negative?

Dobbizzle, D-rock, Junebball and 2 others like this.
  14. 34to11

34to11 Member

I believe you.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I never said MDAs system was random. It was definitely an identity. But it was also mostly Hardens ability to create plays and his passing where an identity flourished. And it was successful when shots fell through. But in playoffs when other coaches recognized MDAs over-reliance on 3s to win games, there was simply no plan B on MDAs part. It was simply cringing to see so many desperate 3 attempts during multiple playoffs elimination games over the years and a pattern emerged of MDA unwillingness to adjust.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I watched the game and can’t remember all the sets but it felt like games with harden. I wish he’d run more PNR with wood leaving theis in the dunker spot. I wish he’d run some DHO action since he’s got the personnel for it in Sengun, Wood and even Garuba. All those guys could slip and we’ve got athletic guards to handle the rest. I also don’t remember a lot of movement shooting for green and he seems amazing coming off flares and pin downs. Maybe it’s preseason and they’re just building chemistry but it wasn’t that impressive.

Also need KPJ to step it up mentally. Watching him and Lowry was a world of difference. Lowry was everywhere on defense always in the right spots and hitting dimes to everyone. As athletic as KPJ is he just doesn’t do the little things you need out of your lead guard. Too often was he getting into a personal battle with Herro and getting frustrated. His body language got so much. Worse as the game wore on and was losing his defensive matchup consistently. His mental has got to improve otherwise I don’t think I’d want him paired with Green long term as our backcourt.

Crashlanded19 and NewAge like this.
  17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

can we at least wait after the 1st week of the regular season???

NewAge likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its just summer league
    its ok its preseason
    its just regular season
    its just his first year as a coach
    its just his first year without harden drama
    its.....
    lolololol
    i dont care what time of the year it is, theres no excuse for playing lazy streetball for professional basketball millionaires

1. find extra time to practice

2. schedule additional training sessions and award playing time based on who attends them....

3. if they started serious work at summer league they could of already looked good instead 'it was only the summer league let them just jack up the 3' lololololol

4. if you want to be the best in NBA you need to practice more and do more of the work than the rest of the teams

5. or you expect championship to be given you by basketball gods so you gonna keep tanking this whole decade to win the chip exclusively based on genetics of players? lolololol

Joe Rocket, D-rock and NewAge like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we waited the entire last year we also waited entire summer league where also it was empty dribbling and jacking up 3s except for sengun and perhaps cuople of others

NewAge likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

in the meantime they held up hundreds of interwievs and photo sessions
    i mean i also love to giggle around but Tilman and Silas seem like they mostly care about preparing these players to be media stars rather than basketball players... NBA is really just a glorified WWE

look at the elaborate haircuts of some of these dudes and they are clueless on when and how to make a proper pass or keep the simplest defensive assignments

D-rock and NewAge like this.