1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood... Would you trade him? (Fit seems off)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slabhurta3, Oct 7, 2021.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

One more year of suck is acceptable, and I expect it. There's no magic wand here. But if you look hard enough you can find Toyota and 3/4. It's wonderful in there.

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

There is no reason he can't be Clint Capella with a reasonable 3. The issue is if he would be willing to commit to this role.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Slabhurta3

Slabhurta3 Member

So yeah, like I was getting at. He doesn't seem to fit right. People assumed I was taking about this 1st preseason game but like I mentioned I was talking about the latter of last year and you can still see it now.

I'm all for maximum our value for him and that his last year numbers were fools gold. Yeah anyone can score alot on a **** team where they get most of the touches. Shid he should avg over 21pts in that kinda system. We see this all the time. Regardless his fit would work wonders on a talented team where no focus is on him like that ala Golden State/Philly/Boston.

I only proposed the idea of attaching Eric Gordon with him (2birds 1 stone) for Simmons. I wouldn't care if it was not Simmons. Get those 2 out, I don't think they in the future plans. Also didn't add House cause I don't think no one will want him.

We not winning much this year, and that's understandable. You want guys who give they all and fit the direction we are headed in. Guys that mimics J.Tate. Works hard every play even though he has his limitations. Just like Jalen.... like he said, I'm a kid, these vets supposed to treat him like that right now but he will get stronger and smarter as time go on. You have to love that mentality. Not a me 1st guy and do all the wrong stuff like Wood who has been in the NBA for a hot minute now.
    Sengun is another that plays all out... right now he has alot of disadvantages just as Jalen. But again he is young and raw. But like Tate he make alot of smart plays and his effort is 100%. Can't say the same about others but will leave that alone for now.

#163 Slabhurta3, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Crashlanded19 likes this.
  4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I also wouldn't mind trading Wood - not in an obvious way, but low key shopping him would be a priority for me as well if for nothing else but it's clear to me that the timetable for our rebuild is probably not going to be as quick as people hoped from the summer league. I say we suck this year, then trade Wood and draft a big in the next draft.

5. dmoneybangbang

Good seeing people come to realization about the current talent on the Rockets.

Reeko, MystikArkitect and dobro1229 like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I strongly disagree.

Wood can beat most 5's off the dribble.

And because he is 6'10 with 7'5 wingspan he can get his shot off without needing to get all the way to rim.

Corrosion, eliefor3, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

The problem I have with Christian Wood is his mentality, it seems like it comes and go. Same as E.Mobley, look at his line last night playing for the Cavs. Those are bench points playing starter minutes. Height and wingspan are great, but if you don't have the mindset, you aren't worth the contract.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Offensively this is the role I think is invisioned for him and I don’t think it is Wood that would keep it from happening. It is up to Silas to put in the sets and call the plays. Hopefully that is the plan after this experimentation with rotations and giving guys the opportunity to make the team. Defensively and rebounding Wood will never live up to Capella, because of lack of strength. If we do decide that Wood is not a fit at some point, I hope the trade is not for middlin FRPs. We already have plenty of those.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he just needs a real coach , he could become a defensive BEAST in the right system and with the right coach

bloodwings19 likes this.
  10. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I wouldn’t mind trading him. He’s not going to put on any weight and he’s going to continue to be a non factor on defense. When we have a center we need his priority to be on the defensive end and score off rebounds at the rim or just do some dirty work.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I agree with you about the advantage at the 5. I think the move to the 4 is going to be bad for his game. I don't think he's quicker or more skilled than most 4s. he is those things against most 5's... but he struggled to guard them 1 on 1 defensively. I thought the answer was a summer in the weight room, not trying to learn to dribble.

if they don't think he's a 5... and honestly even if he was, Sengün and Garuba are likely are future 5 rotation anyway plus the 2022 draft is full of bigs (4s and 5s) in the high lottery. I don't really see what his role is on the team in 2 years. and I don't think he will be worth the extension he probably wants given the inflated stats he'll get on a bad team.

I know most people thought it was crazy to trade him this summer, but I'd consider it again at the deadline. after the deadline he enters a contract year and his trade value significantly decreases.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Speaking of wingspan, did you read that Emoni Bates at 6'9" measured a 6' 7.25" wingspan

And that's what CF's want us tanking a couple years for.....cereal box mystery prizes.

Just Rockets trolls wanting the Rockets to be forever bad.....
    always, "chasing waterfalls" - [ TLC / Umbrella Academy ]

#172 ApacheWarrior, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Wood work best when he's paired with a similar 4/5 to himself. Failing to resign Olynyk was a mistake. Olynyk did a lot of what was needed; passing, three point shooting, rebounding, so it opened the court.

The first two preseason games, Wood has looked lost but so has everybody else. They just don't look fluid and I think a lot of that is from not having Olynyk.

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yet it still comes down to results.

bloodwings19 likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's more than just the loss of Olynyk.

Silas has no discernible structure in place.

And it is obvious that this team is struggling to figure out the offense and each players new roles.

Especially glaring for starting 5.

Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.
  16. anamah

anamah Member

HE HAS NO SKILL FOR A FUTURE MAX PLAYER NON ,
    FREE THROW POOR, PAINT SKILLS WEAK .

17. Raven

Raven Member

Will the Rockets be a team with three max contracts? I doubt it. OK, so if Green is eventually maxed then who is the other max, the player we draft in next Summer's lottery? KPJ? Wood? Keep in mind, a player no longer needs to be an all star to earn max or near max money. The only player currently on the roster that I'm confident will still be here in 5 years is Green.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

people usually raise their voice when out of arguments

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

id rather max wood than green...wood is already there at least stat wise.... green is a big unknown he may never develop to be better than andrew wiggins

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

maaaan, 20 years in the league... youd think hed be a coach dedicated to details and his teams being well oiled machines lolololol