1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapelle getting canceled?!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LosPollosHermanos, Oct 7, 2021.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve seen the show
    He clearly states why he makes the jokes

He’s the king of comedy. Nobody is paying you for your jokes but I’m sure you’re better then Carl Herrera
    @Os Trigonum

clos4life likes this.
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

Exactly
    The majority of ‘criticism’ are false because they didn’t watch the show

this happens plenty to restaurants on Yelp

clos4life likes this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

I didn't watch the special, so the only knowledge I have of this, is from the OP, but...

...why does Chapelle even need to 'joke' about transgendered people? That topic is usually not funny and almost always polarizing. There are far more funny things to include in a stand-up special.

Unless you're a shock jock or your entire career / persona revolves around sensitive topics, there doesn't seem to be a need to include stuff like this.

It's almost like Chappelle did this just so people would be offended and thus would talk about him and his new Netflix special - not so much that he was trying to actually be funny.

Invisible Fan and Deckard like this.
  4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think he's a little obsessed with trans-issues. I do find it weird, sometimes when an obvious cis-straight man talks about this topic, a bit much. I honestly would question a man's intentions, if he brought up a matter, like this often.

He's understandably a provocateur, so it would be difficult to assess his true feelings on these issues. Though, he did mention "...he was TERF, similar to JK Rowling." I've seen TERFs are particularly "transphobic," "exclusionary," or at worst, think they should not exist or be placed out of society. As they have committed an act of violence, theft, betrayal, and intrusion against them, personally. Like racism, xenophobia, or homophobia, it almost in a way makes okay to attack certain groups of people. I'd assume, specifically with trans-people often choose not to or avoid being identified as trans for this very reason. Because, people can be @ssholes and abusive bigots.

I think he made more of commentary or personal observation than a joke. There was not a sense of humor in that part of it. And, with comedians, some people give them more leeway, because they entertain. That is criticized with an average person. For instance, most comedians wouldn't dare go after anything, during the Holocaust or give some praise Nazis, especially Hitler. Avoid things around 9/11 or too much about rape or child sex abuse. Tread, lightly.

I know quite a few topics that most comedians won't go beyond, because it would be truly career suicide. Even, topics Dave may not discuss, himself. With LGBTQ people, especially trans-people, they are still much a fairly easy target. I guess it's pretty ok to attack these groups of people, judging by many reactions and comments on this topic. It's still ok to dislike these people and discriminate against them.

I know people love edgy humor and it sells, but if I see something akin to a r/roastme or rant type situation. I'd be inclined to think a person feels certain type of way. If it's a preferred topic, more than usual.

Deckard likes this.
  5. VanityHalfBlack

yeah I feel you on that. Guess he needed new material?

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good post. Both of our children, adults now, were raised to abhor bigotry, and like their parents feel strongly about it. They went to Austin's magnet high school and became friends with some in the LGBTQ+ community there, including some that are trans, and remain friends with them today. Along with their cisgender friends, they spent plenty of time at our house back then playing video games, having fun. Good people that we enjoyed having over. Still do.

There's nothing "funny" or amusing about the bigotry they're subjected to, which far too often can include violence. We live in a country, a world where those having the "sin" of being different are often made to suffer because of it. If we turn away from bigotry, attempt to ignore it, or even worse, smile at it, all we do is help create more. There is too much already.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wow, I just finished it. ****ing amazing.

The whole show was great. I don't have any interest in competing in the Offended Olympics, but if anyone watched that and thought it was anti-trans, I don't know what to say to you except I'm sorry you have that disposition. That show could not have been more pro-trans, and pro-people generally.

I laughed; I cried; it was fantastic.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

#CANCELHAYMITCH!!!

B-Bob, Invisible Fan and robbie380 like this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Probably the vest standup show I've seen since one of Louie CK's from ~10 years ago

clos4life and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I repeat here what I said elsewhere
    1. I don't think he is TransPhobic
    2. I DO THINK HE IS VERY PISSED AT THEM - He is very angry and mad at a group of people that drove his friend to suicide because that friend defended HIM. Daphney died. Suicide! He admits he cannot say it is because the Trans community turned on her and berated her . .. but it didn't help. He goes so far as to point out how he trying to help Daphney's child . .. meanwhile. . .what is the trans community doing got the child of the person they berated into suicide.
    ---- Whether you believe their treatment of Daphney lead to her death or not is irrelevent .. . because I truly believe that DAVE BELIEVES IT.
    On stage last night was alot of pain and anger.
    He attacked - Politics over people.
    People willing to sacrifice a Daphney to get 5 minutes of internet fame ..to push a politicial agenda .. . .

The TERF thing he explained that . . the ideal that a TransWoman is *better* than a . . . naturally born female is not something he ready for
    i.e. Kaitlin Jenner gets woman of the year . . . .. and had only been a woman for 1 year. . . . .. he could see how some women would not be overly comfortable with that . . .. . (Even the best women is still a man - *rimshot* - jokes are out there)

BTW - before her death he gave her an OPENING ACT SPOT ON ONE OF HIS SHOWS!!
    (She bombed but she was on for 45 minutes *grin*
    He offered her that spot whenever he was in San Fran and would give her pointers)
    I have friends who are comedians. . .Good friends. . . .and I think they would probably
    pull my intestines through my belly button for an opportunity like that
    She never got the opportunity to take advantage of that
    The way he talks about her is with IMO true affection

I saw this one is closer to 8:46 than his other specials.

EDIT UPDATED

Rocket River

#30 Rocket River, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You should spoil that. For those who don't know the story, hearing it in this show is powerful.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He wasn’t attacking anyone. A few people on the internet were portraying themselves as virtue signaling victims. Then people try to make it into a whole thing because of some buzz words.

13. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

He says there's two genders at the end which shouldn't be controversial. Apparently thinking there's only two genders means you're cool with trans murder. He should have said sexes instead of gender but whatever. I don't know it's all just really goofy. Like I'm fine with the trans people and I don't care what bathroom they use but please stop telling me I have to say the sky is red when it's clearly blue and if I don't agree I want you dead.o_O

robbie380 likes this.
  14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah. He should stick to fart jokes or ovaltine…that’s gold Jerry!

B-Bob likes this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Didn’t even know about this, I’ve seen all his specials and regularly watch stand up on Netflix. Their algorithm should have flashed this thing up on my home screen when it came out. Had to search for it. Netflix cancelling Chappelle confirmed.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I don’t think anybody deserves to be discriminated against nor is this a competition …but it’s baffling that somehow the trans movement (which is largely a choice) is being equated to the hundreds of years black folks were brought across in ships, raped, brutalized ,
    Murdered and treated worse than vermin. People of color don’t have a choice, they walk around with discrimination on their faces and are deemed inherently less human in the eyes of some.

canceling chapelle just illustrates how those folks have hijacked this

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's not a choice. You have an incredible imagination. You should consider writing fiction as a career.

I'm out of this thread. This isn't a "contest" where how much bigotry one group or another have been subjected to, now or in the past, is to be "measured" as if it's a bizarre game. How twisted is that? Yet some of you seem to want to go there. Throughout history people have been attacked for being different, and inevitably part of the reason is that they are simply misunderstood.

That there are different genders that may be difficult to understand, but have existed as long as we've been a human race, is a fact. Those who are given a stage that allow them to say whatever they wish before a large audience and chose to add to the confusion about gender are free to do so. No one is going to "cancel" Chappelle, using the latest trite phrase. I'm certainly not doing so. I'm simply no longer interested in an entertainer I don't enjoy and find offensive. That's a choice on my part.

Enjoy him if you wish. In this country, that's a freedom we still have. Meanwhile, the LGBTQ+ community wish to have the freedom to live their lives like anyone else, and Chappelle is not helping. That's a choice he's made and he is free to do so.

#37 Deckard, Oct 8, 2021
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

The people are just reacting
    @Deckard
    didn’t watch the Closer

But these young newbs don’t watch all of Star Wars than get confused when they find out Darth Vader is Luke’s father

thank goodness I know the 99ers think first and react later

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I guess I'm in the camp that think it's not a choice. Wasn't that long ago that gay marriage was banned in the U.S. Wasn't that long ago that being gay in the UK meant time in prison. Didn't Alan Turing, one of the big saviors of WWII, get himself chemically castrated because the UK government found out he was gay? Wasn't that long ago that people used to burn gay people at the stake thus offensive terms like f*ggot which is still pretty common to find as an insult thrown online still and in person. Wasn't that long ago that places like Sweden performed eugenics against gay and trans people. And trans people have it worse than gay people right now. It's been that way for as long as gay and trans people have been around and they've probably been around for as long as people started walking this Earth. He painted it like it's only been an issue for the past few decades. We know that's not the case at all based on history.

Also, it's primarily not the white trans community that's getting murdered for being trans. They deal with discrimination still, but statistically they're not the one's getting murdered. It's mostly the black and Hispanic trans community that finds themselves getting murdered the most. So as a champion of someone who claims to stick up for the black community and minorities in general, his rhetoric hurts a portion of the black community that happen to be trans. The minority of minorities.

Also he walked away from millions of dollars because he felt like his bosses wanted him to cross boundaries his ethics wouldn't allow him to cross. He has a bit about how Comedy Central execs banned him from saying offensive words against gay people but encouraged racial stereotypes that hurt black people and that he didn't feel right about it.

I think of the trans woman he helped but still called a man repeatedly while saying he was going to cover her kid's college. If you were that woman, and you had a celebrity that took the time to make you famous potentially and give you a chance to get your foot in the door in the entertainment industry, but that same person also made fun of you routinely as part of their bit, I don't see how that couldn't affect your self esteem. It clearly affected his when he felt like Comedy Central bosses were asking him to denigrate black people in a way that he felt personally affected by and they were going to cover a lot more than just his kids college with the amount they were paying him. I guess all I mean by that is even if the trans woman who defended him on Twitter never spoke up about being in some form of pain over the jokes at her expense, it probably did affect her. It probably wasn't entirely just the Twitter mob that overwhelmed her. Probably an accumulation of a lifetime of discrimination for being who she is. Harvey Weinstein ran charities and non-profit fundraisers for women's rights. Does that take away all the rape and manipulation because he ran some fundraisers on their behalf? Clearly not. And no Chappelle's comedy bits aren't in the same stratosphere as what Weinstein did to women, but he has made a lot of money cracking jokes at trans people. And he's upset because some people are speaking their mind just like he did? I dunno. Seems weak to be upset at people for speaking their mind when that's exactly what he got to do.

#39 London'sBurning, Oct 8, 2021
    Deckard likes this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

You didn’t watch it bro
    So you can comment all you want about how bad the lake is without checking to see if there’s water there

Yeah I’ll spoil it for you Deck
    He talks about his trans friend who commuted suicide because the trans community attacked him/her on Twitter

but you b****ing about stuff you don’t research is like me making a comment about blade runner without telling you if Harrison Ford is a human or not