1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Heat @ Rockets 10/7/2021 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 6, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am watching the young guys for fundamentals - which allow you to succeed as you grow.

As a team, we are FUNDAMENTALLY flawed.

DD

amaru likes this.
  2. MystikArkitect

I have a concerning suspicion that Silas doesn't particularly like Sengun. I don't know why I get that feeling.

D-rock, hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Probably because whenever Sengun is on the floor the basketball IQ of the team increases but rather than play him more Silas is giving Sengun about 18 minutes a game.

4. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Sengun is better than Evan Mobley. There, I said it.

cmoak1982 and roslolian like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Y'all are crazy. First of all the Rox only lost by 7 vs a contender with 3 max players on their team. This is the same team that took a 26 pt dump on the Atlanta Hawks their first game. So yeah, its amazing the Rox almost beat this by playing Wood, Theis and a bunch of 19 year olds. Secondly, they woulda won if House didnt have the worst preseason lf his career. I dont even know why this clown is still on the squad, he shoulda been shipped before the season started.

Finally, Josh Christopher turned out to be one of the biggest steals in the draft. Dude has been amazing these last 2 game love the energy and aggresiveness.

Moe, Rocketeer, jch1911 and 1 other person like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He likes guard play. Not a big man fan.
    He even joked about this about his dad.
    Hopefully he realizes Sengun can help the guards soon.

D-rock likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I have a growing suspicion Silas hates him, why play such a great player only a quarter a game? smh

Williamson and D-rock like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Silas strikes me as the type to want to play vets, for the sake of his job.
    Stone needs to let him know this is a rebuild and it’s ok to develop young players. Winning is secondary.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You guys are really being stupid after 2 pre-season games. We have an almost brand new roster featuring lots of rookies and inexperienced players. Seguin will continue to grow his minutes, but you also have to get Wood and Theis on the floor together to learn each other’s games and defensive rotations. The lack of patience is really silly. We are not winning a lot of games this year. It is a work in progress. If we don’t see improvement as the year goes by with the team and the rotations then Silas will need to be replaced. It’s way too soon to judge. The players on the team seem to be happy and working hard. That is part of a coaches job as well. My fear about Silas going into this year is that he would not bench Wall for KPJ. That’s no longer a worry.

MONON, Moe, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stupid is playing Gordon, House, Theis heavy minutes over Tate, KMJ, Sengun, Garuba and JC.
    Yes, part of coaching is figuring out the chemistry of your starters and your rotations. Specifically in preseason.
    But if there’s any hint of what is to come, Silas is going to play vets more than the young guys. There is no reason at all to do this, even with those vets we aren’t winning anything. Develop the young guys.

Anyone that can’t see that is well, being stupid.

D-rock and cheke64 like this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

To be absolutely fair, the Miami veteran rotation players were not playing, otherwise, it would of stayed a blow out. Honestly, that's one of my biggest concerns with Silas. It's only been a couple of preseason games, so I'm not going to draw conclusions, but it will not be good for team morale at all if we end up in a big hole in the first half every single game. This was waaaaay too common last year, but I blame injuries and an inconsistent rotation for that.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

@i3artow i3aller is offended

D-rock likes this.
  13. Roc Paint

You have to stop allowing points from the paint from the opposition

hakeem94, cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Both Theis and Wood struggle protecting the rim and defending post.

Garuba should start next to Wood.

Garuba is excellent defending post AND rim protector.

Which allows Wood to do what he does best on defense, weakside protector.

hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Theis and Wood are not as compatible as hoped.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Y'all are silly complaining about minutes distribution in the preseason. You have no way to evaluate the reasoning that is going into decisions about who plays with whom and how much.

In the regular season when the main objective is to win games, sure complain if the rotations are costing us games.

But in the preseason you need to see what you have, learn what works and what doesn't, etc. So please, shut up and listen.

By all accounts Silas has always been a good player development guy. There is value in making young players earn their minutes. This is normal, find a new slant.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

I hope that is the case.

But Mobley is better than Green.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The regular season shouldn’t be about winning this season. It’s not going to happen with the vets or the youngsters.

Silas is known for developing guards.

And he already knows what he has in Gordon, House and the other vets. Now should be the time to see what young guys outside of Green work with the vets, not limit them to mop up duty and 15 min a game.

It is pretty obvious that he isn’t going to play most of the young guys early on. That is not developing them, that’s hindering them.
    Not to mention, they are more talented and in some cases just flat out better players than some of the vets. Specially House

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  19. Roc Paint

So what you’re saying is we need a Robert Horry type ;)

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

It's not about the wins or losses in preseason.

It's about installing systems and building chemistry.

Silas has no discernible system and his rotations lack cohesiveness or compatibility.

It's obvious that neither Sengun or JC are high on Silas list of priorities. Never mind Garuba who has been treated like a pariah.

Silas prefers to maximize the minutes for vets (we already know what these guys can do) and the vets have been shetting the bed. House and Augustin had ZERO points.

As backup PG both Augustin AND Jaygup had ZERO assists.

What is his PLAN?

hakeem94, cmoak1982 and Roc Paint like this.