1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[I'm ignorant] Educate me on Silas' offensive system

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Oct 7, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Please tell me what I should be looking for. After tonight's game, I'm having a hard time deciphering what kind of offense he's running or wanting to run.

2. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Its a revolutionary zone offense, which means that any player who thinks themselves "in the zone" is to chuck 30-foot stepback 3s that not even Harden attempted.

#2 Tuckankhamun, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Trackwell, ACL1, solid and 30 others like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He said he wasn't going to run any sort of plays in preseason, he is just focusing on developing chemistry according to him. I guess let's give him the first 42 games of the season and evaluate him then.

4. steddinotayto

It would have helped to put in some basic plays to give the young players something to fall back on but that's just me.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

His defense is suspect too.

Trackwell, Boredhippy, Nook and 12 others like this.
  6. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Hmm I didn’t see this quote but 42 games sounds reasonable. I’m going to be counting though. I wasn’t very enamored with the offense last year either.

7. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

He's not a long term coach.

8. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

The offense is lacking due to a lack of chemistry. It will take time. But defense is quite bothersome. Besides Sengun, other expected star players just look least bothered to make an effort on defense.

9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I wish I knew what his offense is meant to look like. I would like to believe there will eventually be some kind of recognizable structure, but I haven’t ever really seen one yet.

10. steddinotayto

I'll buy the chemistry part but once that is established, what offensive system is he going to run? It's not Silas' fault that he signed on to this team and instead of coaching vets and one of the greatest offensive players ever, he gets a rebuilding project. But if his strength coming in as a head coach was to rely on his alpha dog (e.g. Luka in Dallas, Harden here) and not an actual system.....I don't know. Again, totally ignorant so any insight or information would be greatly appreciated.

payaso likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

Maybe it's just me but having plays to run (e.g. structure) would help your young team to build chemistry (e.g. know where a teammate is going to cut, know when a teammate is going to set a pick and roll out to the 3 point line, etc.) rather than just let them go out there and ad-lib like what they did tonight.

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly this stinks like Hornacek's double pg offense in Phoenix. It reeks of Cat and Franchise dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble.. chuck a three.

Caesar, ramotadab, BallaDoc and 6 others like this.
  13. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I do not think anyone has an answer for that, maybe not even Silas. It is going to be a complete experiment with different rotations and plays in my opinion until individual decision-making grows for these young players.

steddinotayto likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

One of the coach's job is to prepare his players for in game situations, including plays to run in a half court offense or when the team needs an easy bucket. Silas' starting lineup is pretty much set outside of the SF position so he should, at the very least, have Porter learn a few PnR plays with wood and also have Green run off of screens to get more spacing.

I don't think Silas is the long term answer for this team obviously but by him not providing instructions or structure to his young team it's not making him look like a good coach.

15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

His coaching style is being a really nice and sweet guy so they don't fire him.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

5 Out Offense used to mean something completely different before Silas arrived.

17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

That part

DeBeards, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  18. leangle25

leangle25 Member

Lets judge them after we have a settled roster. With Wall, Gordon, House, DJ Aug potentially might be traded, its hard to fathom what direction this team is going. All i know is at this rate, we will still suck this year xD

BMoney likes this.
  19. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

I would agree but with so many changes happening in 1 year, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him more time to at least have 1 full season of healthy players in the lineup to make an assessment. But constant iso and jacking up 3s strategy is something I really do not want to see again as we did with MDA for years. A mix of textbook PnR and the mid-range game will be pleasant to see.

20. Salvy

Salvy Member

I think I've made my decision on him, don't like him... At all... Should have hired Van Gundy.......I haven't seen a single positive. Hopefully he is gone soon once the young guys develop and start making a run at a playoff spot.

aaquaa, Boredhippy, ashleyem and 5 others like this.