1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood... Would you trade him? (Fit seems off)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slabhurta3, Oct 7, 2021.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Funny but I don’t get the reference.

BallSoHarden and burlesk like this.
  3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i would trade him, but not for simmons. i'd love to try and sign simmons after his contract runs out if he improves his shooting and is open to playing the small ball five. i think bringing him in now would cause too much drama. anyhow we have jaygup to develop on the cheap.

4. fattz

fattz Member

Here is the real question, would you give Wood the maximum salary? If so keep, if not time to move him for maximum return. Note that, Sengun & Simmons both do a lot of the same thing & Simmons wants/needs the ball to be effective, so he will take it out of Porter, Green or Sengun hands.

Understand the thought but Simmons isn’t our answer, IMO. Stone has filled the role already, with a 19yr old on rookie contract vs max contract.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is such a funny thing to worry about for a team that constantly got bounced from the playoffs for not having enough diversity of high quality scoring.

You guys need to get yourselves out of the James harden mindset, we don’t have the greatest ISO player of all time and it would be silly to concentrate usage in 1 or 2 players, except in the contentious moments of a playoff series.

Maybe give the team more than one game, it’s a totally new team, last season is irrelevant. Just develop the guy, he’s the most likely 25 year old to improve in the nba, he has what 100 games under his belt? If this guy delivers a healthy season with better off ball play we will get a lot more for him.

#25 Mathloom, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep, and dont forget to throw in a few 1st round picks and couple of rookies just to preserve reputation of being a good trade partner in the modern NBA...

alethios and Jontro like this.
  7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I would be open to trade any player - no one is fully untouchable (like Harden was a long time)... that being said, it has to make sense.

I would trade wood and Gordon for Simmons in a heartbeat. I really do believe that Simmons would be a great fit here and he would get a fresh start without much pressure. But I don't know, which and how many picks I would be willing to add. And I guess Morey would be asking for at least 3 first rounders, which would be a hard no. Maybe 2 but I wouldnt really be comfortable with it. Lets keep our 2022 pick at the very least.

But the next Nets pick and a couple of second rounders would be an easy decision for me.

That being said, I dont think Wood is a bad fit. He is a really good player with a lot of room for improvement. I just fear, that he will earn a lot of money in his next contract and what we might get for him before this contract is probably a lot more than after he signs that contract.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS...even if hes not a world beater you need quality depth....... milwauke was patient with middleton for years despite repeated playoffs flops only for him to get them the title finally last year...
    Wood is the surest thing of all rockets players right now....

also the timeline arguments in order to bring BS here are hillarious... wood is only 1 year older than simmons....lolololololol

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Morey is that you? should of traded him while you could! lololololol

Drift Monkey and CVcrew like this.
  10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

It's nothing but feeling much fun to count my childrens…tho not yet hatched

Drift Monkey, burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

the answer to that question is a resounding HELL NO…I don’t have much faith in Christian, there’s no way he’d be worth a max contract

KPJr is due for an extension soon, and with the way max extensions have been getting handed out like candy to any young player with promise, he might get one too

Jalen Green max extension is only a few years away too, and Sengun will need to get paid

I’m keeping this stuff in mind with cheap Tilman

I’d rather have the cap space than waste time signing Wood to a max…Wood isn’t even better than Vucevic

Ming The King likes this.
  12. ilias

ilias Member

Wood is a very good player. I’d never trade him for Simmons and his max contract. Trading for Simmons might make some sense only if you pair him with a big like Wood that won’t clog the paint.

Only reason to trade Wood is if we are not confident that we can re-sign him on a good-value contract. If he wants the max or anything north of $30m, then yes, let’s see how we can get value out of him before his contract expires. Maybe next summer when he would have had more time to show who he is as a player, and teams have a better view of how much he is worth to them. However, I really think his skillset is strong and rare and he can be part of title-contending team, so I think we should make every effort to keep him around.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hmmm if he can be a part of title contending team then why not max him?
    middleton was paid max money imho.. and hes definitely on his level....

the other thing, regardless of how good player is you still need a good coach and teammates to maximize his play....rocket should focus on getting a good coach... wood is a rare skillset player that any team would cherish to have...its only the coach that is preventing him to shine

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how much you'd be willing to pay for Christian?

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

NICE WORK, THANK YOU

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

true. you never know when we'll trade for the next superstar (suggs)

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

around 20 mil/yr

Bo6 likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Wood is a great fit with Green and KPJ, and doubtful Simmons would fit on Rockets if Wood was moved. If there is a question on fit, it is with Sengun.

The Rockets are not trading assets for Simmons as he's an appropriately paid player.

Corrosion and ramotadab like this.
  20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Nope. If he continues his play, and stays healthy (a big if), I’d give him the max and create a core of KPJ, Green, etc.

He’s a 20/10 guy with a .6 TS% who shots well from the three. He has unicorn-quality big abilities.