1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

getting vaccinated does not pose the same risk as not getting vaccinated, 2 seconds of research would make that obvious…

c’mon man, u are really on here just spreading nonsense

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Andrew Wiggins is a dumbass acting like he’s no longer in control of his body and was forced to take the vaccine

Nobody forced u. U could have easily chose to remain unvaccinated and lose half your salary. It was your choice. U are free to choose to not take the vaccine, and u are also free to deal with the consequences that arise. But lo and behold, common sense took over and he decided to stop the nonsense.

Kyrie is a wildcard because he loves to be a contrarian, but I think he’ll eventually cave. I know some people like Kyrie. They have a deep seeded desire to go against the grain and pretend to be an intellectual who’s 3rd eye is open, but they often just sound dumb.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Please go back and read my other post on this subject.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I know you didn't direct this specifically at me but I'll chime in and be respectful about it because your post deserves it. When I keep saying that these athletes are selfish I really mean that. If they did their research like some have publicly stated then they know the risk of getting any fatal side effects from the vaccine are very minimal. If anything, the league is trying to prevent a domino effect from happening where if one player tests positive for COVID chances are other members of the organization (trainers, coaches, teammates, etc.) will have to get test and those that are positive will have to miss games, thereby possibly limiting your chances of winning meaningful games. Sure you can say "well that's just the league and/or the team's own self interest at stake" but these players are getting paid by the team and, in some cases, paid handsomely because they are one of the team's top players. Now I'm not saying Wiggins is irreplaceable by any stretch of the imagination but losing him would require the Warriors to adjust their game plan which probably means giving heavy minutes to their rookies. Or let's say Wiggins don't get vaccinated, somehow tests positive for COVID, and somehow passes that to Steph Curry. Now you're not only down your 4th best player but you just took your best player out for x number of games. The counter would be "well all of his teammates are vaccinated so that should minimize the risk that they get COVID" which is true but couldn't you increase the level of prevention if ALL players got vaccinated?

Another reason why I call them selfish is because they are thinking about only themselves. I've already stated this before but any sensible adult who has kids at home (e.g. Beal and Irving) or even family members in an age range and/or have a weak immune system should get the vaccine if not for themselves but for their family. Just because Wiggins and Isaac are young, athletic and somehow that makes them have "better antibodies" doesn't mean the friends and family members around them share the same traits or "superior antibodies". If these guys were in another profession I can understand. Like if they were a consultant like me who works from home 100% and is pretty much in an office inside their house most of the day sure I can see some reasoning as to why they think they don't need the shot. But these guys are in a profession that requires them running for 30+ a night, drenched in sweat, coming in contact with at least a dozen people every day (some people they don't even know)...the risk for COVID kind of increases.

rocketsregle and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

As stated before, I think all of those people mentioned have already had covid. It’s a fact that shouldn’t be forgotten.

A bit further we are splitting hairs over “risk” at this point. The risks seem to be VERY minuscule for getting vaccinated or worrying about a second covid infection at their age and health status.

and one more edit…they 100% need to be vaccinated if they haven’t been infected with covid yet. I do Brazilian jiu-jitsu and it amazes me the number of guys that are unwilling to get vaccinated. Jiujitsu is a whole other level of sweaty and contact.

#325 robbie380, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    steddinotayto likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

Good point and I apologize if it seemed like I left that out on purpose. As far as risk I might sound like a broken record but while their "age and health status" might not put them in a high-risk group, whose to say the people they interact with on and off the court aren't a part of said group?

7. i3artow i3aller

Great read if you have the time.

#327 i3artow i3aller, Oct 6, 2021
    Lar likes this.
  8. Lar

Lar Contributing Member

Brilliantly written and argued. But I'd expect no less from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar...seconded that this is must-read.

vlaurelio and i3artow i3aller like this.
  9. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

Forget the medical tyranny element, its quite cool and collectively Segregation!

Segregation is wrong! Segregation in our society was fought against and was dissolved!

Antibodies are Antibodies! Natural Immunity is far superior to vaccines, but yet you wont be able to go inside an establishment here in NYC without proof of gene therapy drugs!

You think this aint coming anywhere else, once everyone normalizes the unvaxxed water fountains? I hope not, and i hope free thinking humans will reject any of this slow motion dissolution of the United States of America into the third world despotic nightmare it is more and more resembling in the capital of its commerce.

Reject Segregation! Reject false big pharma science mandates! Reject anything that serves to reneg what your parents and grandparents fought to protect!

Lets hope Kyrie can be the leader he always wanted to be. We need voices that can go above the din of the 3 companies controlling our media, we need heros to stand up and do whats right for all americans, we need everyone to say 100 percent NO TO SEGREGATION!

if you cant do that, then well enjoy what the bad guys have cooked up for you, because you will most likely fall as well, they are not your friends pushing their shots and needles to kids, say no to the drug pushers and drinkers of blood, stand up for your own sense of morality and support your fellow man in defense of freedom, here in the US and all over the world, love your fellow man!

#329 jbond77, Oct 6, 2021
    Scarface281 likes this.
  10. foh

foh Member

I love you man, but Kyrie will be traded or will get the vaccine.

I'll have to assume you are not a person of color to be saying the pandemic induced vaccination is akin to segregation.

I think your ego got the best of you to be shouting things like "say no to the drug pushers and drinkers of blood" in a public forum.

11. i3artow i3aller

12. steddinotayto

Wiggins: "Wait....you're telling me if I would have waited a couple of days I could have not gotten vaccinated AND get my money??"

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

On a personal level, I had Covid in the Spring. No major side effects, but it seemed like I was forever positive. I also got vaccinated in August. So I have nothing against getting vaccinated.

What I don't understand is why isn't natural immunity considered a legitimate substitute for the vaccine when studies show it could be even stronger and longer lasting. [Refer to Hangout thread for more information on that] It's sus that it is being forced on everyone even if they previously had Covid or if they are in an extremely low risk category or soon even if they are kids.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the vaccines we are required to take today are against diseases that were much more effective killers, especially for children, right?

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It’s a good question. I think the argument against making that allowance is that doing so might encourage people who are unvaccinated to (a) pretend they had COVID or (b) purposely ignore all safety guidelines so that in the event they get COVID they essentially get a pass. There are many people who don’t take the risks seriously — either to themselves or to people they may come in contact with — and the path you’re describing would not be effective in compelling them to vaccinate.

BigM and JumpMan like this.
  15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Require proof of positive tests within some time frame like they require proof of vaccination (eventually within some time frame). People purposely getting Covid for the immunity would be a real problem. Most would be legit, though.

I don't think people need to be compelled to do something that isn't necessary to protect themselves. In the analogy of the seat belt, they already have a seat belt on from their Covid recovery. They don't need an extra seat belt.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

On the last point, I’m referring to people who haven’t gotten COVID and aren’t vaccinated. I’m not that concerned about people who already have been infected.

JumpMan likes this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

Kyrie Irving DNP (In prison)

foh likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

disturbing

Scarface281 likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He's welcome to not play in the NBA and he can take a job somewhere else.

20. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

They aren't at risk of dying but they're at risk for sucking for a few months like Russ or Tatum. That should be enough reason for these guys. I think for a lot of them it really is just about being a contrarian.

steddinotayto likes this.