1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

In 4 or 5 years Alperen will be the best C in the NBA
    The guy has everything
    Is strong, high IQ, fundaments, passing skils, is a good defender.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Not picking on you… but I have seen a lot of Arvydas Sabonis comparisons to other players…. and I don’t think people realize Sabonis, when healthy was one of the 20 best players to ever play. By the time he was in the NBA he had multiple surgeries and could barely move

Richie_Rich, fattz, burlesk and 9 others like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

bluffkin, Chamillionaire and topfive like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's cool.

Of course he was. And, I clarified a healthy Sabonis knowing this. He was a shell of his former self when he played for the Blazers. A smaller version would be desirable.

DreamShook and Nook like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Comparisons are strange after being drafted. No two players are honestly that similar. I understand it when trying to explain their style of play but let's just hope Sengun is the best Sengun he could be. I would imagine his son (you know the one who is in the NBA) is probably the closest to him considering they share DNA, that doesn't mean their games are analogous. What you want is a player who others try to compare others to. Like you don't say James Harden is just like ____ you see people saying this player could be just like James Harden

HeyBudLetsParty, D-rock and Nook like this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

man, you have to start selling your gifs as nfts. lol

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

trying to sneak that in there like nobody'd catch it...

[​IMG]

Jontro, i3artow i3aller and D-rock like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Sengun might end up as skilled as Sabonis. You never know. But Sabonis in his prime was way more athletic than any of the top Euros (not named Giannis) we see in the NBA. Together with his size, he was like Ralph Sampson with Magic's passing skill.

11. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It looks like he’s having a lot of fundammit

13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I don't know what Sengun will become, I'm just happy we made the trade and will get to see him develop. For someone who just turned 19, he's ahead of the curve in BBIQ, craftiness and sturdiness. Those qualities normally come with experience and if he continues to work on his body, skills and shooting range we'll have a truly great player to cheer for.

He's a really fun guy to watch rebound. He comes up with boards that sometimes reminds me of how Moses use to out work other bigs. I'm not saying he's Moses, but he's unique in today's game for how he rebounds.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We will never see another player like a healthy Arvydas Sabonis. Jokic is the closest but nowhere near as athletic. Sengun is not close to the size of either of those guys.

Drift Monkey, hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I’m a huge fan of AP but he will need to learn how to stay out of foul trouble especially with the bigs being way more physical and the guards being quicker. He had 5 fouls, that’s probably why he only played 13 mins.

Nook likes this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's honestly to be expected at this stage. Every rookie big has to adapt to that.

17. Plowman

Supporting Member

So, a smaller version (like I said initially) of AS is unapproachable/laughable? They DO have similar GAMES. Moreso than his son's even. Alpi has that power game. By the time, Sengun is done growing and putting on weight/muscle, he's not going to be 7'3" 300, but 6' 11" - 7' 275lbs is about where he'll likely be...and with his skills, you guys are saying he has no chance of one day becoming a top 75 - 100 all time player?

#797 Plowman, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  18. j@amc

j@amc Member

275? Not sure about that. Sengun has worked hard to take the weight off. I could see 255 as more realistic goal.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Plowman

Supporting Member

Alpi's what, like 245,now...and he's only 19, a big guy(but still a kid)....Huge legs/trunk. Like you said, he's worked to get weight off that big frame. So I'm thinking by the time he hits 26 - 27...years...25 - 30 more lbs of muscle/full grown man weight without losing much if any mobility. The difference between 19 and 25 should be a lot. That power will serve/keep him well... And, again...I wouldn't be shocked at all if Sengun is much closer to 7' when done growing. Even if I'm wrong, and it's only 20 lbs. A beastly player he shall be.

Drift Monkey and hakeem94 like this.
  20. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Agreed!

Also, where @Rodman23 these days?

Jontro likes this.