1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Many top NBA players hesitant to promote coronavirus vaccines

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Nuremburg!!!

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

So let me get this straight

Get the vaccine = can still get Covid but chances of dying and severe symptoms are reduced and can still spread Covid

Don’t get the vaccine = can still get Covid and chances of dying are slim to none but symptoms being severe vary and can still spread Covid.

By the way I’m unvaccinated and while I will not say I will never get it I’m just very hesitant to get it because while people say oh just get already nothing will happen it’s safe or I’m putting other in people in danger and I’m being selfish and making me seem like some evil villain…to those people I say if I do happen to get the vaccine like they wish and hope for so bad and I do happen to have a deadly reaction will those people look after my wife and kids and make sure they will be taken care of after I’m gone.

All this country does is cause division politics,religion,race,and now the vaccinated vs the unvaccinated it’s really sad.

And the thing that really makes me smh is people who are vaccinated walking around acting like the are invincible wearing no mask and saying things like I’m vaccinated so I’m good.

In my personal view we are in the same boat regardless if you are vaccinated or not. That’s just my opinion. We all need to take every precaution regardless if we are vaccinated or not.

I really apologize very sincerely to anybody that I might have offended or triggered in anyway I truly and deeply apologize.

And if I seem very very ignorant or misinformed I apologize for that as well.

And just because some people who chose to not get vaccinated don’t automatically make them some kind of maniac who walks around saying I’m not wearing a mask and causing madness in public those people are truly something else so please don’t label people who chose to not get the vaccine those types of people.

steddinotayto likes this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ah, J&J-caused blood clotting syndrome. Yes, this was a known but extremely small risk. 4 known deaths out of millions who received it.

vlaurelio likes this.
  4. durvasa

The COVID vaccines have probably prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths in the US alone. And many more could have been prevented if vaccine hesitancy wasn’t promoted so heavily.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

IMHO with all due respect and again I apologize in advanced if I sound ignorant or misinformed…but this vaccine seems really really rushed…I mean it’s like all of sudden they found a vaccine? It just seems rushed no years and years of research no trials and trials I’ve read an article when all this first started stating it takes at least 10 years before a cure or vaccine can be deemed “effective” …I completely understand the severity of this virus and the urgency of finding a “cure” or vaccine I mean we don’t even fully really understand or know the possible “long term” side effects like 10-15 years down the road.

It just seems to me this vaccine has more questions about it then answers.

Also why this vaccine is being mandated in certain states is beyond me…wearing a mask is one thing and why can’t this vaccine be optional just like the flu shot? Some people get the flu shot and some people don’t but it isn’t a “thing” like this Covid vaccine has become.

7. jayland

jayland Member

Research for mRNA based vaccines started back in the 1980s. Most of the groundwork was done a long time ago already and has been tested on animals for decades. The company Moderna was founded back in 2010 to focus solely on research and developing mRNA vaccines and treatments.

The science behind the vaccines wasn't something invented out of thin air in just a year like antivaxxers want people to believe.

ElPigto, Lar, steddinotayto and 3 others like this.
  8. durvasa

What long term side effects are you imagining? I haven’t heard from a single person with the relevant expertise expressing such a concerns. Also, there is very strong evidence that without the vaccines millions more people would die over the next 10-15 years. Don’t you have to weigh the perceived highly speculative risks against that virtual certainty?

And it’s not like we just happened to find the vaccines. They went through many trials and iterations. I think you’re not appreciating the amount of resources that went into it, the number of different solutions that were sought out in parallel, and the rigor of the trials that the eventual winning formulas had to pass.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Well for one long term what about women or men who get the vaccine the effect it could potentially have on reproduction?

I’ve read some women saying that it completely changed their menstrual cycle.

What about the effect it could have on babies for women or men that happen to get pregnant for any number of years after receiving the vaccine?

Cancer , brain issues , so forth and so on.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Also I don’t want to be naive and act like this vaccine is 100% safe.

Yes there are risk and yes there are side effects and yes some people have died weeks after receiving vaccine.

There are risk with every aspect of life so what is the point of getting vaccinated? If it poses the same risk as not getting vaccinated?

11. i3artow i3aller

Division, well often times it just really sucks right, but believe me this country isn't alone in causing it. You'll encounter that all over the globe as it's in every city and every town. It boils down to a basic sense of tribalism which is hardwired into all of us. Hell it probably kept humans alive for a long while. Strength in numbers and all that. We see it in almost everything even in our fondness for our beloved Rockets when we face off against opposing teams. We're also social creatures that genuinely enjoy being part of a group. Somewhere along the line that turns into us vs them. I do agree that the vaxxed vs the unvaxxed arguments have gotten especially nasty when you'd hope people would instead be able to sit down with one another and have more open civil discourse on the matter. Sadly that's not often the case.

The predominant fear as I see it is that those choosing to remain unvaccinated are creating a much greater opportunity for far more lethal variants to pop up in the future. God forbid a much more contagious and far deadlier mutated variant were to come about or even worse if it proves to be particularly devastating to the younger generations. Thus the more people that are vaccinated the better as it decreases the likelihood of said mutated variants ever coming to be in the first place.

You ask who would take care of your loved ones if you were to get vaccinated and passed away as a direct result. I understand that fear. What concerns me to an even greater extent is that the chances of you or you loved ones passing away or having long term health issues from Covid without being vaccinated are so much higher still. And listen, we don't know each other, but if we were friends or family I would wholeheartedly encourage you to do so. And it's not to get you on my side or anything like that. I'd simply want you and yours to be as healthy as possible and to be able to spend as much time as you could with each other because our loved ones are everything. They're what make life truly worth living.

I'd never sit here and name call or shame you into getting the vaccine. I wish you no ill will. If anything I find it particularly disturbing when people lash out and say things such as "well if you or a loved one do get sick you only have yourself to blame and you better not show up at a hospital now that you're in bad shape." That's garbage. That sort of behavior doesn't help and is only going to make those with a fear of being vaccinated dig their heels in even more as it's only natural to become defensive when being attacked. With that being said my big fear here is that by not being vaccinated you'd be putting yourself, your family and everyone else you interact with at far greater risk. Based off everything you said that's what you're seeking to avoid. As with all of us, keeping our loved safe and protected is of the upmost importance and concern. The medical community as a whole is united on this for a reason. I'd great;y encourage you and your family to reach out to well informed doctors who can lay it all out for you far better than I can as I rush to type something before game time. There's probably typos galore, but I really do hope that you seek expert medical advice on the issue in order to gain a greater understanding.

#311 i3artow i3aller, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    steddinotayto and Slyonebluejay like this.
  12. durvasa

If it has that effect on some women then it is worth studying. It must not be a common reaction or it would have been a bigger news item, I think. But I don’t understand why such reactions would only manifest many years down the line, which I thought was the concern you were raising.

OK. Are there any scientists with relevant expertise who have raised concerns about this? If not, I don’t see why this should be a greater concern than the effects we actually know of that COVID can have on people who are unvaccinated.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

You know how big Pharma works all those things would be swept under the rug no way they would want all these things coming out mainstream.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...eparing-possibility-miss-home-games-practices

If Irving remains unvaccinated, the Nets could be faced soon with a decision on whether they'll allow Irving to come and go with the team in and out of New York -- or just keep him sidelined all together, sources said.

The Nets have been outwardly supportive of Irving's process to consider vaccination and believe they've listened, supported, and educated him, but the franchise's collective patience will be increasingly tested the longer that Irving stops short of committing to join the team on a full-time basis.

The Nets believe they're still a championship contender with a roster constructed around Kevin Durant and James Harden and could ultimately have to make hard decisions on Irving's future should he remain unvaccinated and unable to play in the Barclays Center or Madison Square Garden.

#314 J.R., Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  15. durvasa

Except “Big Pharma” isn’t in a position to sweep it all under the rug. COVID treatments are widely studied and reported on.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Trade his ass.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I really appreciate you having this convo with me thank you.

The world needs more open dialogue and less division

steddinotayto and durvasa like this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No… this wholly inaccurate and should be flagged as nonfactual disinformation even if you are just misinformed and have no malicious intent.

The chances of you being hospitalized or dying if you are unvaccinated or haven’t had the virus recently to have a T cell immune response are night and day different. Even if you are in a lower risk category. Please do better homework here before spreading this nonsense please. It’s in everyone’s interest for everyone to get vaccinated.

It takes two seconds to look up the data from the US center of disease control or the hundreds of other studies conducted. 8 to 11x more likely to die. That’s a pretty stark difference. Please do better next time.

i3artow i3aller, Rudyc281 and Reeko like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

Isaac being used as a pawn by Fox News, and he’s too dumb to know it

it’s usually “shut up and dribble” over there until 1 of the athletes says something they agree with, then they’re invited to come and talk…

lol, what a fool