1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only our governor doesn't allow people to make their own choices. He needs to quit telling businesses how they have to run their own business. Any business owner should have a right to not allow people without masks or vaccines. That should be their choice. The no mask no vaccine cult can go somewhere else to mingle.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We have that here. ACL music festival made you provide proof of vaccination or covid test for entry. They had "mandatory" mask areas as well but there was zero enforcement and no one really cared about it.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He breaks it down well and it makes sense now why this is a big development. It looks like the cost for a 5 day treatment will be $700. Also I didn’t realize the study specifically looked for people with at least one comorbidity so that makes the results pretty impressive.

It was equally effective against all the variants as well.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a thing you can do here. The crazy people who want to see your papers and pointlessly require masks can do so....they just aren't forced by the government to require those things so most places don't require them because the vast majority of people don't want that BS.

Honestly I kind of find it hilarious that those kinds of people still exist but the intersection of cowardice and ignorance is always going to be a thing.

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Crazy and ignorant are people who actually still support worthless cowards like Trump, Abbott, Cruz, and the lot.

(7 day trend of Covid deaths per Capita) Oct 1

Top 14 (All Red States)

Alaska, Idaho, Alabama, South Carolina, West Virginia, Florida, Montana, Wyoming, Kentucky, Mississippi, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

The Republican Party is the Death Party. That's a fact Jack.

cheke64 likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, take it to the D&D kid.

RKREBORN likes this.
  7. cdastros

cdastros Member

The next step is to request emergency use authorization from the FDA. The dosage is determined by the drug makers and side effects should be known from the randomized control trial, but more side effects could be discovered in the future. I am sure more studies will be done if it is approved or not by the FDA.

8. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

My wife and I got Pfizer boosters yesterday. Signed up for an appointment at Walgreens a few days ago and got it done in 30 minutes.

Here are our reactions to the shots
    Me:
    first shot - very sore arms for a couple of days
    second shot - sore arm for about a day
    third shot - sore arm for about a day

My wife
    first shot - sore arms for a day
    second shot - very sore arms for a day. Then fatigue and mild fever set in about 24 hours afterwards for a few hours.
    third shot - no fever, some sinus pressure (may or may not be related to the shot) and fatigue. She's taking a nap right now.

Overall, pretty happy with how relatively mild the reaction to the third shot was.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Just curious what was the motivation for you to decide to get a booster shot? Was it travel related?

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Lol, take it to the D&D kid.

bobrek likes this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The emergency approval thing and discovering side effects after the fact is crazy to me.

Otherwise, let's go.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

From that video by John Campbell it seemed to indicate side effects were less than the placebo group. He said they did not include pregnant women and that they would need to be studied.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Nope. You made that remark and that was my take on it. By the way, I'm no kid and you know it. You seem to think you are funny I guess.

14. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

It's both travel and high risk workplace related.

My wife works in a liver transplant ICU unit in a hospital. So she's face to face with immunocompromised patients all day. She also sometimes cover acute covid floors when they they're short staffed. She doesn't go into covid patient's rooms, but she's still interacting with nurses and doctors that do. She's also exposed when covid patients are wheeled in and out of the rooms or if room doors were left open. The hospital also does not issue her an N95 mask because she's technically not face to face with covid patients, so only surgical masks for her. o_O

In addition, my wife is traveling with her sister to Georgia next week for a 3 day trip. She's going to be dining in restaurants and going through airports and planes. The booster gives extra peace of mind.

I got a booster mainly to not get her sick and have it take it to her patients in case I get exposed. I am still working in person and see a handful of new people every week.

Nook and robbie380 like this.
  15. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

My understanding of the drug trial process is:

Phase I Dose-ranging on healthy volunteers for safety
    Phase II Testing of drug on participants to assess efficacy and side effects
    Phase III Testing of drug on participants to assess efficacy, effectiveness and safety
    Phase IV Post marketing surveillance in public

So, I think a trial could end early if they are in Phase 2 or 3. Sounded like they were doing Phase 3. Haven't really followed developments though on the pill.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Singapore is experiencing it's worst outbreak at about 2,000 new infections a day yet that is in no way comparable to the US. Their seven day average for deaths is 5 and for the total pandemic 113 people have died.

Think about that for a city state of 5.7 million during 18 months of pandemic only 113 people have died.

For comparison Minnesota's population is about 5 million on a land area of more than 50 times Singapore yet the death toll here stands at 8,273 with a daily average of 15 people dying.

Nook likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Seems like the cost of this type of treatment could drop dramatically

https://www.statnews.com/2021/10/04/what-we-know-and-dont-know-about-mercks-new-covid-19-pill/

How many other anti-Covid pills will end up proving effective?
    One of the reasons that the success of molnupiravir is such a big deal is that there were questions as to whether an antiviral pill could help Covid-19 patients if given early enough. This medicine certainly did, reducing hospitalizations by 50%; it also appeared to have an impact on whether patients survived. That makes it a game-changer. Its success also ups the odds that other medicines will prove effective, too.

Results for other drugs are likely to be released by the end of the year. That includes data about a similar pill, also given as a five-day course, from Atea Pharmaceuticals and Roche, and about a pill developed by Pfizer that is from a different drug class and might be combined with molnupiravir.

What will it cost and who will pay?
    Most analysts are basing the cost of molnupiravir on the $1.2 billion the U.S. government spent to lock up 1.7 million courses of the medicine, which works out to $700 per five day course. But Anderson points out that the cost for a new pill to treat influenza developed by Roche is just $150 per course.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Oh and also molnupiravir was developed originally for mosquito borne disease in....guess what???

[​IMG]

Venezuelan equine encephalitis (VEE) is a mosquito-borne disease endemic in regions of Central and South America that causes sporadic outbreaks of equine and human encephalitis.

You're going to take a horse medicine whether you like it not! :D

superfob, Nook and jchu14 like this.
  19. Roscoe Arbuckle

The irony is that this vaccine was created entirely during the Trump admin. With both Biden & Harris saying they wouldn't take the vaccine. Sad part is if Trump were still in office, you'd be adamant about not taking it either...

20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That is a bold faced lie!
    Of course I would have taken the vaccine. My anger over the whole no mask no vaccine BS was that people put politics over saving lives. I didn't isolate or wear a mask because of politics. I did it because experts and medical professionals urged people to as they watched hundreds of thousands die.