1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix Series] Squid Game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Sep 30, 2021.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

New ticky tok theory is that the workers were selected by what color they chose in the subway game. I wondered how, why, where did they come from myself.... And that sort of makes sense.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

gonna avoid thread to avoid spoilers...this a gory/scary movie or just a psychological thriller?

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

There's a bunch of blood, but nothing like people getting their heads chopped off or anything like that. If you can stomach the sight of blood and like, a medical surgery, you'll be fine.

There's also a scene with nudity (breasts) but it's only one scene and you only see boob for like 5 seconds.

Honestly, this thread has been pretty good about spoiler tagging spoilers.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I haven't watched it yet, but people are saying they stole the idea from this guy's video game

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Netflix is SUED by South Korean internet provider over traffic spike from Squid Game

The show has soared in popularity worldwide since its release last month and has been pegged to become the service's most successful show to date

Bosses are now to be sued by South Korean internet service provider, SK Broadband over problems arising from the spike in traffic
    In its briefing, SK Broadband said in its claims that Netflix is South Korea's second-largest traffic generator besides YouTube
    Bosses state that other streamers - Amazon, Facebook and Apple - are all paying network usage fees while Netflix traffic has increased 24-fold
    In a statement to CNBC on Friday, a spokesperson for Netflix said: 'We will review the claim that SK Broadband has filed against us'

[​IMG]

The show has soared in popularity worldwide since its release on Netflix last month and has been pegged to become the service's most successful show to date.

Controversy has arisen however, as according to Reuters, a South Korean internet service provider, SK Broadband, is suing Netflix over increased traffic thanks to the streaming service's popularity in the country.

The internet provider said in its claims that Netflix is South Korea's second-largest traffic generator besides YouTube, and states that other streamers - Amazon, Facebook and Apple - are all paying network usage fees. The internet provider wants Netflix to pay for network access dating back to 2018. For 2020 alone, that amount was estimated to be around 27.2 billion won ($31.55million AUD).

In a statement to CNBC on Friday, a spokesperson for Netflix said: 'We will review the claim that SK Broadband has filed against us.

High: SK Broadband alleges that traffic from Netflix on its network has increased 24-fold from May 2018 to September 2021. It's now processing a whopping 1.2 trillion bits of data per second as of September - the same month that Squid Game was released on the 17th +4
    High: SK Broadband alleges that traffic from Netflix on its network has increased 24-fold from May 2018 to September 2021. It's now processing a whopping 1.2 trillion bits of data per second as of September - the same month that Squid Game was released on the 17th

[​IMG]

'In the meantime, we continue to seek open dialogue and explore ways of working with SK Broadband in order to ensure a seamless streaming experience for our shared customers.'

Last year, Netflix brought its own lawsuit as to whether it was obligated to pay the provider for network usage. The streaming giant argued that its own duty ended with creating content, and leaving it accessible.

However, the Seoul Central District Court ruled against Netflix, saying the streamer should 'reasonably' pay something to SK Broadband for network usage.

Netflix appealed, with fresh proceedings set to start in December.

Huge hit: Squid Game has been discussed globally ever since its release last month - with Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos saying it has a a 'very good chance' of becoming the streamer's most popular show yet +4
    Huge hit: Squid Game has been discussed globally ever since its release last month - with Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos saying it has a a 'very good chance' of becoming the streamer's most popular show yet

The streaming giant said last week that it has helped create 16,000 jobs in South Korea.

Ruling party lawmaker Kim Sang-hee said on Wednesday that out of South Korea's top 10 data traffic generators, 78.5% of the traffic came from foreign content providers, up from 73.1% a year earlier, with "Google-YouTube and Netflix that account for the majority turning a blind eye to network usage fees". ($1 = 1,187.3400 won) (Reporting by Joyce Lee; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)

Meanwhile, Squid Game has soared to popularity globally ever since its release last month - with Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos saying it has a a 'very good chance' of becoming the streamer's most popular show yet.

The South Korean series is a survival thriller set in modern-day Seoul, where a group of 456 people are invited to play a series of children's games with the chance to win a huge amount of money - but if you lose in the game, you lose your life.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Great show but the ending fell apart once they needed to come up with new ideas to set up the second season. Once the main character left the island, this show became stupid. Like, you would think that after everything he's been through, that he would at least remember his daughter and also help out the girls brother. Instead he wasted a whole year being a drunk. Then, to give one final "F You" to his daughter by not boarding that airplane?

I also had wished that they came up with a more interesting reveal than rich people being bored. Like it was not necessary at all to have the VIPs open their mouths. It would have been a lot more mysterious if the VIPs came but were silent the whole time, and you are left in the dark as to who those people are and why they are holding these games.

ElPigto, arkoe, DreamShook and 3 others like this.
  7. Xerobull

Squid Game subtitles 'change meaning' of Netflix show
    4 October 2021, 12:23 BST

[​IMG]

Squid Game's "botched" subtitles have changed the show's meaning for English-speaking viewers, some Korean-speaking fans say.

The Korean-language drama is about an alternative world where people in debt compete in deadly games.

But fluent Korean speaker Youngmi Mayer claims the closed-caption subtitles in English are "so bad" that the original meaning is often lost.

Netflix hasn't yet responded to Newsbeat's request for a comment.

The series has proved hugely popular since its release last month and is on track to beat Bridgerton to become Netflix's biggest original series.

The plot sees a group of people tempted into a survival game where they have the chance to walk away with 45.6 billion Korean won (£29m) if they win a series of six games.

If they lose, they die.

'Character's purpose lost'
    "The dialogue was so well written and zero of it was preserved [in the subtitles]," Youngmi said in a Twitter post.

In a TikTok video that's had almost nine million views, Youngmi gave several examples of mistranslation.

In one scene a character tries to convince people to play the game with her, and the closed-caption subtitles read: "I'm not a genius, but I still got it worked out."

But what the character actually says, Youngmi explains, is: "I am very smart, I just never got a chance to study."

That translation puts more emphasis on the wealth disparity in society - which is also a theme in the Oscar-winning 2019 Korean film, Parasite.

"Almost everything she says is being botched translation-wise… the writers, all they want you to know about her is that," Youngmi said.

"[It] seems so small, but it's the entire character's purpose of being in the show."

Fans commenting on Youngmi's thread have questioned Netflix's translation strategy, and others have pointed out that less accurate captions make it difficult for those trying to learn a new language.

Youngmi's initial comments were about the closed-caption subtitles rather than the English language subtitles.

Closed captions are for people who are hard of hearing and include audio descriptions and sound effects, as well as speech. They're often automatically generated.

Squid Game: How one Netflix show gripped the world
    Youngmi has since clarified that the English language subtitles are "substantially better" than the closed-caption ones.

But she added: "The misses in the metaphors - and what the writers were trying to actually say - are still pretty present."

Newsbeat has asked Netflix to respond to the claims.

DreamShook likes this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The VIPs being bored is good IMO. it just hints at how trivial life is to them at this point when you have so much money. The old guy at the end even said it. We live in a world now where billionaires are so bored they are making rocket ships to go to mars. It tracks. We are supposed to know exactly why they are holding these games - "just because they can", which makes the loss of life even worse.

life outside the game is fine too because it just means money doesn't change you, it just brings out more of who you are. This guy has a good heart but he is a deadbeat. This dude just went through a crazy game where hundreds of people were killed, I can see why that would screw you up for a year and longer. Plus the director had no plan for a second season.

9. Aware

Aware Member

I havent watched it yet but its wild how korean media/pop culture has blown up in the west the last decade.

At this point you could say that the west consumes nearly or equally as much japanese pop culture as it does korean

Yung-T and DreamShook like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree only because KPOP is doing it's best imitation of 2000's rnb and pop and people love it.

People in Korea dont even like KPOP as much as foreigners now, lol

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

To add onto your second point, to which I completely agree with:

Not only did MC "win" the game, he had to do it by being the last one alive. The old man that MC bonded with? Dead. The dude that MC knew from his old hometown that was supposed to be smart and seemingly had it all in life? Dead. The young lady that MC bonded with? Loss of blood due to glass impalement because the glass exploding for no damn reason and then was killed by the smart dude. So, dead.

MC just went through a game in he won an absurd amount of money but had to watch everyone around him die. Then, he goes home only to realize that his mom died because he wasn't there to care for her and take her to the hospital for her diabetes(?). All because MC was busy playing the game.

On top of all that, he didn't know about the reasons for why the game was being played until the meeting with his gganbu. So in that year, he had to deal with the highs of being rich, but more importantly, the lows of the methods by which he got there + his mom dying. And I think that stuff weighed super heavily.

^ I think the finale was well done, and the '1 year' time skip was fine. I guess they could have gone with 'some time later...' for ambiguity instead of quantifying exactly 1 year, but then you'd have people asking "well, how long was it?? A day? A week? Half a year??"

12. Aware

Aware Member

Yep.

Like no hint of originality at all but people eat that **** up.

Yung-T, Rocket River and DreamShook like this.
  13. Xerobull

Squid Game American casting remake version : Starring Keanu Reeves, Zendaya, Josh Hartnett

i3artow i3aller and DreamShook like this.
  14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

DreamShook likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wouldn't say it's unoriginal. kpop is just filling a void right now. nothing is really "original" anymore in music. or it's very rare.

People seem to hate Rnb here in the US now (which sucks I love Rnb) so all the producers went to Korea and now are making loads of dough. There is a reason all those kpop hits sound familiar, Korea scooped up all the talent that everyone said wasn't trendy anymore.

There's also a reason kpop keep gets getting hit with cultural appropriation claims; they monetized blk culture and repackaged it to great success.. smh

Yung-T, Rocket River and Aware like this.
  16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

17. Xerobull

The prize was a carton of cigs. You know the French couldn't pass that up.

18. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

appreciate this. will check out

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

misses a lot with dubbed too… one of these day, AI will take care of perfect voice expression and that’s when I will watch it dubbed :).

Seriously, I’m so used to subtitle that I gained some good ability to read and see expression and actions at the same time… at least I tell myself that.

Rocket River likes this.
  20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member