1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, and that could happen with Pena, but the point was that throwing a 10 year contract at a 27 year old guy like Correa with a history of back problems seems pretty risky.

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Alex Rodriguez and Carlos Correa are friends, no doubt Alex told him to get a big Contract. Who cares about winning.

10 years $300 million Dollars is the Goal

vince likes this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Not only back problems

Carlos broke his right leg sliding into 3rd base. He has a metal plate and screws in his right leg as a Lancaster Jethawk High A Club. That team won a Championship also.

Fractured his hand getting hit by a pitch.

Broke his rib at home

4. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Dodgers finna bust out a half-billion payroll and give Carlos 12/480 /s

#844 Tuckankhamun, Oct 3, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They traded for Trea Turner.... they are set at SS next season.

6. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Just pay Turner, Seager, and Correa 40 mil each and have the greatest infield ever. /s

In all seriousness, the MLB really needs a Salary cap and floor.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. Elienator

Elienator Member

Seems less likely than the Astros giving him 10/300.

8. Elienator

Elienator Member

It also needs to deal with minor league pay, and service time manipulation. The economics are seriously messed up when you can pay someone like Peña 500K next year or Correa 30M. The best hitter on the team (Tucker) is making 700K.

Prospects and rookies should be making less than established stars and do in most industries, but salary discrepancies this extreme would not happen in any normal business. It benefits owners and a small number of players, not the fans or the majority of the players.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’m just basing today’s comments on the mini ceremony they had today for Correa. Apparently he addressed the clubhouse prior to the game as well. These are all actions of somebody who presumes he’s not going to get a competitive offer from his current employer.

They probably handled it similar with Cole in 2019… and Springer last year. Both played their asses off in the playoffs so I don’t think this impacts how he will go out for the next month (hopefully) of games.

Crane could certainly get involved if he wanted to… and who knows what sentiment and clubhouse leadership will do when it comes to possible offers. I don’t think Correa is dead-set on leaving if offers are similar (unlike the previous stigma around here where he was already planning his departure from Houston back in 2016), but the Astros were firm enough early on in the negotiating process that has left a certain impression on Carlos that led to the last game of season emotions.

snowconeman22 and Rileydog like this.
  10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Pay the guy. 8 year deal

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Feel like he may end up with the Cubs

12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

It's been real Los! ...

13. Mattician

Mattician Member

Just don't go to the Yankees or Dodgers please.

14. CinematicFusion

It would also be about the once in a lifetime contract for me as well. I would be pushing for 10 years 350 million if I was Correa.

You are correct though… all about winning for the Astros.I love Correa but I don’t care if Correa is back or not as long as we field a playoff caliber team for years to come.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

To me it is Funny that George Springer hit a Grand Slam in one of the last games. And he is really celebrating and Happy for no reason (No Playoffs)

But to me George Springer Cost the Blue Jays a Postseason Spot. With his Injuries to his Knee. And the huge Cost in Salary.

Front Office could be regretting this Contract. Teoscar Hernandez and George are Astro product coming from the Astros System.

The Astro Farm System Really Finds 15 year old, 18 year old Talent and Develops them.

16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Huge Contracts, No Playoffs
    10 year $300 Million Dollars

Bryce Harper - Phillies
    Mike Trout - LA Angels
    Fernando Tatis Jr - Padres
    Manny Machado - Padres
    Jose Reyes - Mets
    Miguel Cabrera - Tigers

Albert Pujols - LA Angels
    Alex Rodriguez - Rangers

Nick_713 and vince like this.
  17. the shark

the shark Member

Take the money saved from paying Correa and offer Scherzer a 2 yr/90 mil (he'll probably resign with the LAD anyway).

Make a strong offer to Semien 3yr/105 mil (he can play SS)

Try to sign JV to a 2 yr deal with the 2nd yr being a team option.

There are WAY too many teams out there who will pony up at least 30 mil per yr for Correa.

I would like to see Crane go all in over the next 3 yrs with Altuve and Bregman signed. Even if he has to spend major $ going into the luxury tax (I know it's not my $). Could even offer Correa a long term contract but front load it for the first 3 yrs (120 mil) with an opt out after the 3rd yr (He'd still decline this).

If they don't resign Correa I'd also like them to sign Tucker, Alvarez & Valdez like they did with Bregman.

Also, try to extend Yuli and Brantley one more yr so they're signed for '22 + '23. Both coming off great yrs (Yuli with a batting crown and Brantley in 2nd).

18. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Remember CC already has a WS ring, and could get another this year. As the Astros, I would be hesitant to offer the guy 10 years when he has a history of back problems, but as CC it is because I have a history of back problems that I would want to make as much money as I can now.

Ultimately it’s Jim Crane’s money, although his revenue is dependent on our desire to continue watching the team. Not sure where the Astros rank in terms of tv revenue compared to their peers. That could be a driver in this decision.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Safe to say the back won't be an issue during his prime years, presuming the regiment they put into place prior to 2019 still holds. He played the most games on the team this year and other than the lul when he came back after the ASB illness, he was pretty consistent throughout. The Astros know his medicals better than anybody and were still willing to go as high as 6 years.

Not to say he couldn't get injured. Look at Bregman. Look at Springer. Look at Verlander. Out of all the Astros or former Astros signed to big deals, only Altuve is avoiding injury to the point of prolonged months at a time absences or surgery.

The Astros are very much in the middle of the pack regarding their TV deal and it is a direct result of the CSN fallout. Was the worst possible time to try and start a sports network when interest in the team, and performance on the field, were both at all time lows. Given their ratings surge on ATT the last few years, there'd probably be a a much better result this go-around... but they're pretty locked into the current deal.

The "extra" revenue that allows Crane to be close to the luxury tax is certainly tied into the tremendous number of home playoff games they've had the last several years.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You do realize that Toronto wasn't eliminated until game 162, don't you? Any big hit leading to a victory down the stretch was worthy of a celebration.

Also, please name the last 3 15 year old players the Astros developed into solid major league players.