1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Rockets Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 26, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

#742 D-rock, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    King1, fattz, Rudyc281 and 5 others like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

What's YOUR 5?

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You do so much… gracias!! Any chance you can post the articles or relevant tidbits?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

GALVESTON – The Rockets completed training camp with a scrimmage, the most extended stretch of the week working to build cohesion in the revamped roster. With that, Rockets coach Stephen Silas said he found he did not have to be concerned with conditioning as he was and that progress had been made among his regulars and young backcourt.

“It really is about the group playing well being able to play well together and guys being able to figure out how they can play well with the next man,” Silas said. “Today was a step as far as guys being able to play well together. We had a couple different groups of guys we were concentrating on as far as the young guys, making sure they know what the strengths of their point guard is or the point guard knows what the strengths of the bigs are. That was a step today.

“We had a great camp. Every day we got a little bit better. Today was a step forward as far as both ends. Guys were flying around on defense. We were getting the ball up and down the floor. It was definitely positive.”

Guards Kevin Porter Jr. and Jalen Green were usually on the floor together and with frontcourt players Christian Wood and Daniel Theis. Forward Jae’Sean Tate worked with many different combinations and in a variety of positions, as he had throughout the training camp.

Silas said his backcourt pairing improved each day but remains “a work in progress.”

Asked who stood out throughout camp, Silas immediately said, “Eric Gordon has been great, both ends of the floor, shooting the ball, getting the ball to the rim, really good.

“Christian Wood got better every single day,” Silas said. “He had been in Houston a long time but hadn’t been playing five-on-five. Now, that he’s back and playing he got better every day. Jae’Sean Tate has been playing very well. Scoot (Porter) as far as his decision-making, is better than he was last year. Those are the guys who stood out the most.”

GALVESTON – After missing the opening days of training camp with an illness, Rockets rookie Alperen Sengun was able to take his turn in Saturday’s scrimmages enough to show some of the ways the Rockets could use him in their offense.

“Alpi was very good today,” Rockets coach Stephen Silas said. “He showed he can play in the high post and make plays for other guys, no look passes, all kinds of stuff, which is really good. Then, when he catches it in the paint, he has pivots and fakes, and all that. He’s going to be exciting for people to see.”

Sengun said the Rockets' most veteran players, Eric Gordon and D.J. Augustin, especially spoke with him through the practices to help him catch up. But he did not feel behind physically despite missing two days.

“I didn’t feel bad,” Sengun said through interpreter Orhun Gungoren. “I prepared myself very well. I will be better.”

Even with just two practices prior to Saturday’s scrimmages, Sengun did pick up on the great difference in style between the NBA and the Turkish League, especially with the Rockets and their determination to be up-tempo as much as possible.

“Especially tempo, here higher than Turkish league, much more,” Sengun said. “Also, players are better, more powerful physically.”

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

1) Sengun - would love to see if his game translates from Turkish league to the NBA, curious to see if he can defend centers, pipe dream is ROTY
    2) Jalen - obvious reasons, hope his efficiency translates to the NBA, expecting defensive struggles
    3) KPJ - want to see him improve his efficiency, we know he has the talent to score but inefficient scorers can't be valuable in the NBA
    4) KJ Martin - would love to see this guy take the next step defensively and become a knock down 3 point shooter
    5) Silas - I didn't see anything that made me think this guy was a good coach last year, lets see if he can prove himself with this young roster

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I really hope we don't trade him. He's the ultimate glue guy

Believe It! and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Regarding Alpi’s quotes…

I was listening to some Obbi Toppin interview on XM radio and there was some discussion about how in his rookie year he wasn’t playing his game and he fortunately had coaches and players keep telling him to just be himself and keep at it. In short… there was definitely a feel that he himself thought “maybe I shouldn’t be here, shouldn’t be picked so high”.

Every quote you get from Alpi is basically “I’m going to be the best” esque … without sounding cocky.

this is a bit of a commonality among all the Rocket rookies this year. They’re all just super confident in what they do … probably Usman the least.

may not mean crap.. but it’s nice to see.

#753 JayZ750, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I actually would have it similar except I'd put Tate making the 1st team all defense at 4 and Sengun making the All-rookie team at 5.

Will worry about the draft when that time comes

Nook, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

The team camaraderie is off the chain!

RocketWalta and King1 like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Good vibes ...

... perfect description for Rockets Training Camp.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If Thies is 6'8", Green is 6'5" - 6'6"

Rudyc281 and jch1911 like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Despite all of the talk about Green, there's scenarios where Sengun could end up nabbing the ROY.

hakeem94, fattz and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If it’s a two man race between them that’s a win for Rox