1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] The Harder They Fall (Black Cowboy Action Movie)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DreamShook, Jun 24, 2021.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We all know they teach you black cowboy never existed after the civil war. The Lone Ranger was real and he was black. This looks good. Everyone is playing real historical black cowboys. I'm all in.

Even if this is terrible, im giving it a thumbs up on netflix.. Regina King hasn't been in anything awful in a decade, so I'm optimistic.

the cast list is kind of bananas too.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I was waiting for the Eddie Murphy & Arsenio characters to pop up randomly.

3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

The first half of the trailer looked great. Not so sure about the rest, but I'm in.

DreamShook likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It kinda looks like the Wild Bunch meets Sartana...

DreamShook likes this.
  6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

these posts feel racist to me.

reported.

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm in

VanityHalfBlack and DreamShook like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

i enjoy westerns where the characters look clean and well kempt.

can't wait for the azn western starring donnie yen and blek pink.

VanityHalfBlack and DreamShook like this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

First minute of the trailer is superb, but it gets a little loose to the end. And that worries me because they have something good here. Enough to intrigue me. Would have cut that trailer in half though.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. OkayAyeReloaded

Looks good and a lot of talent involved, looking forward to checking it out.

DreamShook likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Movie looks awesome, cast looks awesome, but...

"We all" don't or shouldn't know anything of what you're saying.
    • Nobody in or around Houston was ever taught that black cowboys didn't exist, before or after the Civil War, did you never hang out with the Trailriders and talk to them?
    • Nobody in or around the south to west to north trail drives was ever taught that black cowboys didn't exist, before or after, especially after, the Civil War, where did you come up with this?
    • Bass Reeves was an awesome person, possibly the biggest badass in the West, but he was not the "real Lone Ranger". He's too cool to be turned into a '30's radio white guy by a couple of guys in Detroit
    Here's a fantastic article, long, good, and appropriate:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/the-resurrection-of-bass-reeves/

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Nice article. I always like to learn about forgotten American black history. I live on one of HT Kealing’s old plots of land. He established the first school for black children here in Austin on Robertson Hill. He was also an educator for freedmen. He had a one of his essays published in a book with Booker T Washington, W.E.B. DuBois, Charles Chestnutt, Wilford Horace Smith, Paul Lawrence Dunbar, and T Thomas Fortune.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Negro_Problem_(book)

Wikipedia summary there and the full book is here

https://gutenberg.org/files/15041/15041-h/15041-h.htm

It’s interesting seeing Washington and DuBois competing essays and to see the major differences on racial views from then to today.

The history of post slavery black Austin was very violent due to whites killing blacks. I need to find the link to the Robertson Hill history but there was a line in there about how the census keepers couldn’t keep track of the black population because they were murdered or run off so often.

None of that relates to the show but just felt like sharing

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Fun cast + lots of violence = will watch.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

A lot of Black/African American history is learned outside of the classroom, Buck. Even now, Texas is trying to take out this history from curriculums, if you didn't have a special teacher or someone that directed you to the library or you weren't actively hunting for this... Yeah, It wasn't taught as aggressively as the Nina, The Pinta, and the Santa Maria.

Bass Reeves (and the bombing of Black Wall Street) was brought into the national consciousness because of a TV show. That is all you need to know about our education system.

I remember the Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp came out in 2013 not one article was about the Real Bass Reeves, Lone Ranger, it was about Johnny Depp appropriating American Indian Culture.

feels like every year we learn or reminded of something new about black history

I appreciate the article. good read.

15. Xerobull

16. VanityHalfBlack

Lmao, you wild my man. I believe there is. Thai acid trip cowboy movie back in the 2000s I forgot the name and there is a Korean cowboy movie called the good the bad and the weird that was ok.

Invisible Fan and Jontro like this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember reading that article about Bass Reeves when it came out. I have a friend from Arkansas who told me about Judge Parker (The Hanging Judge) and Bass Reeves a few years ago. Before COVID, I used to go up to NW Arkansas/Crawford County all the time just to get away from Texas/big cities and never knew about him being from around that area. I mean, I used to go to the Fort Smith area, drove up to Grayson county in Texas and live near there, but had never heard about Bass Reeves until a few years ago. That's just sad. If all the legends are true, then he's really a bad-ass. And I never liked to think of him as "the Real Lone Ranger" after reading about him, either. Screw that. He was Bass Reeves, and that's pretty bad-ass enough.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Xerobull

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Reeves

Wow. Back when men were men. We need a high quality TV series of this guy.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Get to know the people and who they are playing in this twitter thread. There has been some discourse about Slim/Mixed Zazie Beetz playing Stage Coach Mary who was Black Dark and not slim. I have no idea why casting directors do this.. Just falling on your face for no reason. Just cast the right people..

They just wanted a hottie in this movie.. uh oh..

I think if they at the very least cast a dark black woman people wouldn't have cared as much.

#19 DreamShook, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. She was a wild lady IRL : https://www.history.com/news/meet-s...-pioneer-who-protected-wild-west-stagecoaches

*EDIT* : Another good link : https://bust.com/feminism/196348-stagecoach-mary-fields-runs-the-west.html

Xerobull likes this.