1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Houston might get another WNBA team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 19, 2021.

1. bmd

bmd Member

If you seriously think the reason the WNBA can't survive is because they can't dunk and the solution to fix everything is to lower the rims, there is nothing that I can say to convince you otherwise. It's just too silly to even debate with you. Oh, and you can miss me with your accusations of sexism. Bring that foolishness somewhere else. I'm doing nothing but providing an honest assessment. Grow up.

ico4498 likes this.
  2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You grow up, your opinion is not the end all be all of everything. Its my opinion that lowering the rims will make the game more entertaining, if you dont like it stop replying to me. Move the hell on. I could care less how you feel or what you think will or will not work. Far too many people on this low class poorly modded board think they are the expert at everything despite being the expert at absolutely nothing basketball related and you act like you have some type of authority to quiet me because you disagree. Just disagree and move on I dont care what you think really. You answer was sexist, "women are just not as good as men" "women sports will never be as popular as mens" own it you said it.

#102 Joe Rocket, Sep 29, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do Houstonians not like Texans?

Seriously, I thought Houston fans picked that name because they wanted it sound like: "Houston, Texas"

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I really don't think sexism is hurting the WNBA, if anything, gender equality is. If we remove gender from the equation and pretend all the WNBA players were men, then it's just a slower, less entertaining basketball league. For any sport, unless you have a personal connection to league, you'd only want to watch the highest level of competition. Non Europeans don't watch the Euroleague. You dont watch the GLeague unless it's in your town or your team's affiliate. Nobody watches MLS when the premiere league is on. Being women just isn't enough of a novelty for the WNBA to be worth watching.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The football team is pretty bad right now, thus the comment for the need for a professional football team. Also, most fans don't like the name Texans. Way back in the AFL days, Dallas was the Texans.

Nook and tinman like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

the WNBA does need to switch it up

I haven’t gone out of my way to watch a game since like 2006, but if they lowered the rims, I’d tune in just to see what’s up

they gotta at least try something because right now watching WNBA games could be a torture method for me…it’s just way too boring, and there’s no one in the crowd making the atmosphere horrible

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

They were good recently. Look at saints fans and what they dealt with for 30 some years before they got good.

Texans is an awful name - the worst in the league. Why they picked that name I have no clue. We could have the New Yorkers, the Californians, The Nevadans, The Floridians..

8. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

Hola Fellow Girl Dad/Mom!

groovemachine and burlesk like this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Have you not been following their abysmal front office situation the past few years where O'Brien set the team back years? The sexual charges against Watson? The bad return on the Hopkins trade?

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The one thing that irritates me if I ever catch a WNBA game on TV is the brickfest and shooting lull both teams go through. The average NBA height is 6'6" and the average WNBA height is about half a foot shorter. It might yield for a better experience and product if the basket was lowered.

Reeko likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, the bricks and struggles to score combined with an empty arena that provides no atmosphere whatsoever makes it a chore to watch

a girl coming down the lane and posterizing somebody would be something new and different…nobody is tuning in for bricks and basic layups

JayGoogle likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't follow them, never been a fan. When the Oilers skipped town I adopted my first childhood football team - the Saints.

13. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Those of you who want another WNBA team here in Houston have way to much time on your hands!

King1 likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They go to see them cause it’s football

They picked that name cause Bud Adams took the Oilers name with him to the grave

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Bud Adams is an ass for doing that. The Oilers is such a cool name.

But you had many other names to choose from.

Challengers, Gamblers, Bayous, Toros all would be great names. Heck even the Sprawls, the Sweaty Armpits, Fire Ants, or the Humids would have been better than "Texans" I mean, who doesn't know that Houston is in Texas?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Well Les Alexander took both Houston Rockets championships trophies to Florida with him

I will NEVER forgive him, I don't care if Tilman blows up the planet Earth

Those Trophies were won by the team for the city of Houston not for his greedy Yao milking Florida ass

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

And yet women's tennis has exceeded men's in popularity

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

A bit of a non sequitur there eh?

burlesk likes this.
  19. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Maybe if they signed about 6 good looking women per team and had them play in bikinis I would watch. Bikini basketball sounds fun.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Need to get dog the bounty hunter to get back out trophies