1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dmoneybangbang

And it was clearly the wrong the package. I was with there arguing for Simmons for too, as you have conveniently forgotten. But it was the wrong package in hindsight.

Of course this organization would trade for Simmons, but for what price? 4 FRP? Do the win now Sixers want a bunch of picks and John Wall? They wouldn't want Wood and Gordon plus picks over Wall plus picks?

The peanut brains would give 3/4 picks away for Simmons, because Morey ain't going to want the least valuable ones we have.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Your argument is just dogs chasing their tail, useless.

Stone and Rockets will decide if package is too costly.

The point is that Rockets are still interested in Simmons, no matter what CF wants to believe.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Being selected as an All-Star means very little to me. The only important question is whether or not Simmons is a superstar worth rolling the dice on despite the horrible fit on our team and my answer to that is a resounding "NO!"

luckyman76 and Crashlanded19 like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they should trade jalen green(and fillers) for simmons straight up...no picks no nothing

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets are running a 5 OUT OFFENSE, which means whomever get the rebound or the ball passed to them initially runs the offense. There is no true point guard.

KPJ, Green and Simmons, would be similar to GS with Curry, Klay and Draymond. Simmons wouldn't have to be great from the 3 point line, just around 30%, continue to playmake and play good defense.

It could be a Great Nucleus for yrs to come.

D-rock and CHAMPBOY like this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You were wrong then and you likely are wrong now. Getting an all star back would have screwed everything up profoundly.

I don’t think you have a peanut brain though. I just think you would make a subpar NBA GM. Perhaps you you’re good at drawing or something. And that’s ok that doesn’t mean you can’t be a fan of the Rockets. You just have bad takes :(

Just giving you a hard time lol

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen

Crashlanded19 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

LOL duh.... But you do understand the point of fan based discussion board.....

And your argument is chasing and overcommitting to the Aaron Gordons and Simmons of the world.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not sure Simmons would be 30% from the 3 line. He flat out refuses to shoot them. He has only attempted 34 threes across a 4 year career. I mean, sure, he was 30% last year, but 3 from 10 isn't really a sample size?

But I don't think he needs to - the guy has been an all-star multiple times - 3 of his 4 years in the NBA - and that is without being able to shoot; having a desire to pass; etc. He is pretty quick and able to get past people in the half court with that first step. He would fit the switch everything defence brilliantly, and has shown an ability to cut off the ball in offence. As long as he is willing to play primarily as a forward, it would be an excellent time to trade for him. His stock could not be any lower. I'd give 3 firsts to flip Wall for him - with heavy protections on them. Perhaps offer up KMjr or Tate in place of one of the 1sts?
    In 2 years we can still have 25-30mill in cap space - with a lot of the space taken up by cap holds, or potentially rookie deals whose options we have taken up. Freeing that up to a max slot isn't impossible - and we would only do that if we were thinking of contending, which means a core of KPjr, Wood, Green, Simmons has proved itself to work. Add a max FA to that in 2 years, and let's go!

We just don't want to end up like Boston, with zillions of picks that we never trade, end up drafting a bunch of guys we can't find the playing time to showcase/ develop, and then end up missing out on the chance to cash in on having a legitimate run.

Y2JT, theDude, Plowman and 1 other person like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, always interested in good YOUNG complementary players. Even better if they are proven All Stars.

You keep doing you, Tuggy.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

No thanks

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

in order to be a 30% shooter from 3 you have to, y’know, not be afraid to shoot.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t want Simmons but that was one of the most articulate of posts taking the yes to Simmons side.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Who's to say loss record doesnt work out same way with "injured" Simmons on Rockets last season?

According to CF, Simmons lack of shot and bad attitude should have kept Rockets in tank mode ad infinitum.

peleincubus likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Just saying.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Thankyou - I'm not neccessarily a "yes" to Simmons guy. - but I can see how it could be a good step. I'm not even convinced he is willing to come here... if he were willing for just Wall/ picks - well, see above!

D-rock likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

First you have a very flawed "allstar" who can't do the most fundamental task in the game - Shoot .... Most people in favor of the acquisition talk about taking the ball out of his hands and moving him to the 4 spot - good luck with that , he's not going for that.

What you get going the other direction is multiple bites at the apple - the early pick in next years draft and multiple free agents totaling up to $60m in salary.

Then there's the timeline of this roster as it is , adding Simmons at best moves them from bottom 5 to maybe the play in but what is their ceiling beyond that ? You've spent your cap space and used your draft picks .... there is no next move.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Russ also flawed.

CP3, flawed.

Lavine is flawed.

Even Beal is flawed.

Most All Stars are flawed.

But how does their skillset match the team's system as well as the core players team is building around, is much better question.

If Simmons is willing, big IF, then he would be a great fit with Thriller-Scoot-Wood.

The fact that Stone and Rockets organization see this and continue to be in talks to acquire him, emphasizes that point.

Everything else we say is speculative and biased, but I respect you too much as a poster to wage a war of attrition just to try and change your mind.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. swakid8

swakid8 Member

You are starting to sound like Holic when he was all-in on Rubio.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

There were no trade talks for Rubio that materialized.

As much as you hate the player, the Rockets FO are interested in him for a reason.

Learn the game.

Would not bother me at all if Wall-Simmons trade is not consummated, but at least I understand how he can be used on this team.

#600 D-rock, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021