1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nuggets, Michael Porter Jr. agree to 5-year, $172M extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Sep 27, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Holy ****. Nuggets are spending. Jokic and Murray are also on max deals, correct?

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

I think he'll be worth it

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If that last year was a team option it would be a lot more team-friendly, I don't exactly get the decision to make these type of extensions on rookie deals, why not wait and match a cheaper 4 year deal in FA. Unless it's a guy like Luka, teams really shouldn't worry about making a grandiose gesture to the players.

I think Porter is likely a multi time all-star player, but it's a bit risky, especially with his injury history.

B-Bob, Easy and Andre0087 like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

needs to do more than score on assisted buckets while providing little of anything else to be worth that, but he’s a very nice talent

I would've been very happy if we had acquired him for Harden

Murray, Jokic, and Porter Jr is their Big 3…nice core that could sneak into a finals 1 day like PHX just did

clos4life, ramotadab, Milos and 3 others like this.
  7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

That is a horrible deal for Denver. Wow. Somebody is going to get fired for this one.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

He's definitely not worth max

ramotadab and roslolian like this.
  9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

MPJ is soft, doesn't defend, has back issues (multiple surgeries) and isn't dominant scorer. He also has an inflated ego that they've just validated with this massive overpay. I think they will have chemistry issues.

10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

What a gift for him. Maybe CWood will get a max after all.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think he can be a highly efficient 25 ppg scorer one day

seems like every young player with some talent is getting handed a max these days…we’ll see what Tilman is willing to offer KPJr when the time comes

12. csc177

csc177 Member

Shtttt he won’t get it here. But perhaps someone will be convinced.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL Wiggins and Westbrook are max players.

14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

And wiggins can’t play home games LOL

B-Bob likes this.
  15. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I'm a fan. Can't see him making any All-NBA teams, but hope he proves me wrong.

18pbr likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Porter Jr. went from an exciting young player to overpaid lol. Plus I dunno is he really recovered from his bad back? 2 seasons ago doctors were saying he might never play again suddenly he gets a max contract outta the blue. I feel like Nuggets bid against themselves on this one.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

hey, we also have a porter junior

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont think its a nice big 3, Jokic the only one worth a max imo and both Murray and Porter can have significant injury risks. Its diff now that all of them are making the max cuz they cant really have any other players except vet min and rookies.

#18 roslolian, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I actually believe in Porter Jr. as a player, I feel his ceiling, maybe around Brandon Ingram type player. Which is quite good, considering how low he was drafted, due to the injuries. The Nuggets already have Jokic and Murray, so he doesn't have to be the main guy unless both go down or get traded. I've said on a few occasions that they are the team of the future, along with the Suns. Everyone keeps saying the Clippers, Knicks, Pelicans, or Hawks (headscratch). Which I don't see right now, especially when their best players may not even be as good Jokic, while there's a drop off on the rest of rosters, after the 2nd guy.

don grahamleone and Easy like this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If Porter continues to improve on his game and Murray comes back healthy that trio of Jokic/Murray/Porter can pretty much carry Denver's entire offense by themselves on most nights. Murray's also shown to be a solid playoff contributor too so they know what they're getting out of him. With all that being said, the Nuggets really do need Aaron Gordon to be better on the defensive end of the ball at the starting 4 position and they'll need more defensive help in the backcourt alongside Murray.

don grahamleone, Milos and B-Bob like this.