1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cord cutters, my new setup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Sep 26, 2021.

1. what

what Member

So I have been perfecting my cord cutting setup since like 2003.
    But I finally discovered the best way to say no thanks to league pass and frankly to Suddenlink, which I loathe with extreme hate. League pass is constantly going up and their customer service is really shitty.

Anyway: I am now getting everything for under $10 a month without internet. With a sirusxm home package.
    The setup is with sirusxm's home kit along with the boombox and the outdoor antenna.
    With this I get every major sport, hundreds of music channels and a lot of other interesting channels without the hassle of lp or Suddenlink.
    And, as a bonus, listening to the NFL on the radio is so much better than watching it on the screen with boring play by play.
    Analysts who seem like they ought to be comatose patients.
    Cross sports off the list!!!!

#1 what, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Xerobull likes this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

3. what

what Member

It's better

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you get audio-only p*rn over the boombox?

No Worries and Fantasma Negro like this.
  5. what

what Member

One thing at a time, bruh

Deckard likes this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'm an old guy is audio p*rn like those 1-900 numbers

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Do you go blind or are you a time traveler from 1923?

No Worries, heypartner and CCity Zero like this.
  8. droxford

droxford Member

I’m old school, and when I hear you say “the boom box”, I think … a boom box. But I think you’re referring to something else. What is the “boom box” you’re referring to?

Blatz likes this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah.... This sounds awful. I'd rather get the limited games I can using an OTA antenna hooked up to a dvr (4 tuners) and TV - no monthly fees etc vs this. Sure I'll miss games but at least there's a picture to utilize your TV with.

The listening to a game only makes sense if you're on the road driving and are doing so more times than being in front of a TV/computer ie truck driver etc. Don't get me wrong I am tired of the subscription models killing us slowly but I'd rather be able to see something on the TV/screen.

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Anyone know where I can find some ASCII p*rn?

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

12. TimDuncanDonaut

I mean if you're happy with the setup, then you do you. When I think of cord cutting, I usually think of just cable TV.

Are you still getting internet to your home? Like online bills or even browsing ClutchFans? Or only doing stuff through like a mobile phone plan?

13. what

what Member

You should try it. I really don't miss watching it.
    I have my phone obviously still connected to the internet, but I haven't once had the desire to find a stream to watch the game.
    It is a lot easier to just tune to the game and listen.
    The bonus is that if you have good announcers they tell you things that you would miss by watching the game. With tv you are at the mercy of what the camera is focusing on.
    And while you are also at the mercy of the announcers, I feel that they paint a better picture than the camera does and obviously the tv guys are terrible and boring for the most part.

Plus it would cost me like well over $1000 dollars a year, plus internet so $1700 a year to get what I get for $120 a year.

That is a ton of money.

14. what

what Member

I have internet on my phone, no tv either and my computer is a Linux unit called slackware, without internet and without (because I don't need it) a graphical user interface.
    I am about to by a dumb phone called a mudita pure and perhaps ditch my Google pixel. The only thing I would miss with that (believe it or not) is online shopping. I also have a DVD player and have been buying physical movies and older series like wkrp in Cincinnati. I hate current tv with a passion. I bought the box set of Adventure Time and I also get the Saturday edition of the wall street journal and some other various magazines. Honestly I have plenty of stuff to keep me occupied.

ryan_98 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I don't disagree with you on the savings, I mean if you can get it to work and are happy it's definitely a win, and I definitely have grown tired of all the various subscription services too - they do add up.

I also don't disagree with you on the radio announcers vs TV, I have on many occasions put on the radio announcers in place of the snooze fest TV announcers. I just like to see the plays live is all but if you can make it work it definitely makes sense from the $ perspective.

ryan_98 likes this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

I bought up the phone thing. I had a friend who was grandfathered into one of Verizon's unlimited mobile plan. So for a while, he would just tether his internet through that. Browsing internet/online gaming...etc He was doing through a Pixel also if i recalled.

Most cable company offer TV cable/Phone/Internet. Of several co-workers, they've ditched the TV and home Phone but usually keep the internet. Then some digital antennas + dvr solution. Typically, they also do get several streaming services, which can add up. Some of it is also family, where, even if personally you only need 1 or 2 streaming services, the family may need more.

Nothing wrong with cutting down on TV / digital screen time. It's actually kinda admirable.

ryan_98 likes this.
  17. what

what Member

I have a dvd player, :)

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I was going to give it a shot then @what went full doomsday prep with the watching sports via hand signals and carrier pigeon.

Aware, ryan_98, CCity Zero and 2 others like this.
  19. what

what Member

My internet plan right now is the sprint kickstarter $40 a month.
    But like I said, I could really get rid of the internet if I could figure out the internet shopping issue.

The sad thing is that trying to disconnect from the internet is nearly impossible because of how everything is connected to it, but trust me I find very little joy on the internet.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. what

what Member

Lol