1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I get the “mystery box” philosophy but I just don’t know what the point of Simmons is honestly.

Russ made an All NBA and all star team his season here and was a couple years removed from being MVP and most of us were ready to drive him to the airport because we saw the only way he could contribute to winning basketball was an insane strategy where we had to play a 6’5” guy at center.

That’s where I’m at with Simmons. I’d take a flyer on him but no way I’m giving up unprotected picks. His defense is overrated. He’s average in help, he doesn’t really protect the rim, he can’t guard true centers, and it’s not like he’s chasing around Lillard. In the playoffs his on ball defense matters a lot less.

There’s a theoretical version of Simmons that could help a contributor but he seems unwilling or unable to realize that. He seems completely unwilling to take accountability.

I also am not wild about bringing him and the Klutch headache around as the elder statesman on a team with some combustible aspects already.

The idea of Ben Simmons is a lot better than the actual player.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As much as I love Davion, KPjr is our PG. The Rockets have already gone to extraordinary lengths to make sure he's not disturbed.

I'm looking for an athletic forward w/skills.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Simmons would be great with the Rockets. There just isn't a way to get him to the Rockets without mortgaging the near future on a team that isn't ready.

D-rock likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so he was a diva cancer and chemistry killer, guilty of multiple playoffs failures playing for one of the best and most respected leagues coaches in doc rivers, but a rookie coach stephen silas would have reigned him and made him very useful?
    yeah right!

luckyman76 and Corrosion like this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

KPJ can still be the creator, like Harden did at SG. Mitchell is more a defensive contributor.

6. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

LeBron's BF just tweeted this FWIW.

He's super close to Klutch and had called the Russ for Wall trade early and Russ to LA as well

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are right. Wall is also a role player paid like a star. That's exactly why we want to trade him and why it is extremely difficult. Simmons' contract is one year more than Wall's.

"Covet" is a strong word. If those teams really "covet" Simmons, he would have been traded already. You don't think Morey & Co. are under tremendous pressure to get rid of Simmons? Those teams are interested but they aren't willing to give up the farm for him. That's why Morey is still stuck with him.

If we had Harden and CP3, I would definitely be interested in getting Simmons. But then how would we be able to afford three maxed contracts? You see, one of the worst things in building a team is having a role player with a max contract. It really messes up your flexibility.

Man, I am sure you already know these arguments. The difference between you and someone like me is how much faith you still have in Simmons getting better.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yet it is more than common occurrence in NBA.

Players play below their contracts all the time.

Remember Ryan Anderson?

Corrosion likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The players mentioned are also all very good catch and shoot players. Kpj and green will be our main ball handlers and rightfully so. If I'm the opposing team.. I'm double teaming every other player but Simmons who not only can't shoot but won't shoot.
    For those saying Simmons will be easy to flip. Well Morey is still holding on to the guy since he doesn't like a single package. The only way I would take Simmons on this roster for 4 years is if he is on a very discounted contract and agrees to play an odom role.
    This team is being built for Green and KPJ and Wood(maybe). The players we are now acquiring must all have the ability to help space the floor out for them.
    Simmons only defends for us since we won't be using him as our ball handler.

luckyman76 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. Do you really want to use the bad mistakes to justify getting Simmons?

Yes, it is fairly common in the NBA. And that's why there aren't a lot of successful teams. Signing a player to a big contract is a huge commitment. One mistake and you are doomed to years of mediocrity. I sure don't want the Rockets to be in that boat AGAIN.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

4 years is not that long, especially for a 25 year old multiple All Star and DPOY candidate not yet in his prime.

OKC owns our FRP in 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027.

Fielding a team full of ONLY young FRP is just giving away lottery picks to OKC.

Shitty ass strategy.

DREAM ON! likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep.

13. dmoneybangbang

Because if we don’t get Simmons, we will never try to compete and just be in perpetual rebuilding?

Weird leap of logic…

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Everything looks different once you have a player like Jalen Green. Simmons would be interesting on the Rockets (provided he wants to be in Houston).

D-rock likes this.
  15. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

16. kiwirocketsfan

Hopefully, the really low ball offers if it's Rockets.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah and I also recall all the assets it took to rid us of that contract ....

18. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

You're assuming that Rockets wouldn't spend any money on a Free Agent in 2 years when we have cap room. Not to mention trading for a good player with assets vs spending those same assets on dumping Wall. Lastly, I think Wall could actually have value next season when he is expiring. Unfortunately, we've already promised Wall a new team. I don't dislike Ben's game but Tilman won't spend on a big 3 and Simmons proved he can't win with an MVP candidate with him being a second option.

I'm not knocking Ben's game like other posters, I just think he isn't the right course. The right course is get another top 5 pick, trade Wall next year's deadline for assets, then go shopping in 23.

19. mario_v

mario_v Member

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What team is Ben Simmons going to?