1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 1st rounders for Ben Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 20, 2021.

?

Would you trade John Wall & 3 - 4 firsts for Ben Simmons?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Very pleased to see the vote is 90% no. The only way I want a guy on this team that is star level defender with no outside shot is for him to be told by the staff he will not be the offensive focal point and Ben would have to agree and I still am leery at that point so I wouldn't package any potential top 20 picks. The dude is what 25 now? He won't shoot because he can't shoot. If he was small and had a decent free throw percentage I'd agree that he could develop his range with practice. Ben just can't shoot and never will. In today's game he is completely over paid because when you get to elite level playoff game basketball teams will just leave him open and you are playing 4v5.

Now he says it's the Philly fans... That was a MAJOR mistake. He should kept the blame on the organization. Next time he wilts in a game his new fans will be all over him. STAY THE HELL AWAY from No shot stars. Tate>Ben 1mil+>>>>>>>30+million each year going forward.

If this was Wall straight up for Ben, I'd do it and look to move Ben soon for something better.

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Ben Simmons may very well be a future hall of famer….we need to complete this transaction. He shoots over 50% from the field and had one bad playoff series and now his career is supposedly “over”. He is way out of position at PG, but would be a steller SF/PF which is just what this team needs. He would replace House in the starting lineup (yes Silas has House starting) and that in itself is a Major Major Major improvement and worth whatever it takes to get the deal done.

D-rock likes this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

All we can do is hope and pray that Stone 1. Doesn’t feel this way and 2. Makes sure tillman feels this way or at least doesn’t screw Stone

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Neither is Wall.

And Wall is sitting out the season or at very least will be asked to come off bench, at least Simmons would actually START and be a part of the rebuild.

Having an actual young All Star on starting 5 is not the disaster you believe it is.

And Simmons can still be flipped later - he is a 25 year old All Star that multiple teams still covet (MIN, CLE, SAC, etc.).

Y2JT, ApacheWarrior and Madmanmetz like this.
  5. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/ben-simmons-shot-chart

The dude cannot shoot from outside the paint. he says he wants to go to a team and bed the focal point. You cannot be the focal point of an offense when your career FT % is below 60%. I'm not basing this on 1 bad series. I'm not even saying he couldn't be a positive for the roster but he cannot come here with his current mind set and be the highest paid player (assuming Wall is traded for him) on a team mostly full of 2nd year players and rookies all while being rightfully so afraid to shoot beyond 6ft.

Early reports state that House and Green are playing off of one another very positively. Their styles go very well together. I wouldn't be surprised to see House have a breakout year. It is his contract year I believe and he needs to ball out to make up for his mistakes of the past. House can space the floor and that is what today's NBA is all about. So Ben isn't the Major Major Major improvement that you think he is over House when you factor in everything.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Danuel House is pyrite.

All that glitters is not gold.

7. dmoneybangbang

If we are flipping Simmons than that means he sucked and will be trading him for quarters on the dollar.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Is that the only alternate future you can imagine?

It must really suck to be you.

9. NewAge

NewAge Member

House’s got talent; his issues are upstairs. But so are Simmons’ …. Ben is obviously the better athlete, but House is the better shooter. The diff is not really that wide to justify the huge diff in salaries…

Corrosion and Madmanmetz like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/2846998/202...ews-impacts-sixers-efforts-to-trade-all-star/

#450 J.R., Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets do not not need better shooters they need proven elite defense.

Simmons is not just more talented than House he is head and shoulders better.

Simmons is younger, longer, better rebounder, better defender, better ball handler, better passer - just better player, period.

House has a scorer's mentality but is streaky AF. I'd rather Simmons defer to our best 3ball shooters and play lockdown defense 1-5 instead.

Scoot, Thriller, Wood and Sengun should be taking most of the shots when they are on the floor anyway.

And if Green is playing well with House right now, imagine how much better he would play with a LEGIT all star who will create even more open shots for him while also back stopping him on defense.

The House argument is beyond silly.

Imanimal likes this.
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yes and Wall's contract ends at the end of next season which is def worth more than Simmons. Especially since he has already agreed to sit out. Simmons isn't your first option on offense, he is not your second option on offense and he is not our third option on offense yet needs the ball in his hands to be effective on that end.
    His defense is amazing but not worth disrupting the goal which is to develop KPJ and Green and Wood and Tate. That's a good core. I think we will be alot better than people actually think. Wood hasn't hit his prime but probably will in a year or so and Kpj either breaks out this season or is traded.
    Let's not rush to hinder any of the possible chemistry building by forcing a trade to get a player like Ben Simmons. He is not someone who will accept being a role player or 3rd/4th fiddle role unless he were on a team with Durant or Lebron.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Specious argument.

Simmons deferred shots to Embiid, Tobias, Seth and even Reddick.

Simmons addition will ENHANCE the development of this Rockets young team by mere fact of subtracting Wall who is progress stopper for Porter, Green, JC, Wood.

Adding another guy that can throw lobs, prevent double teams, lockdown 1-5 and rebound is now a negative or progress stopper for our young team ????

Holy agendas and false narratives batman!!!!

Simmons size and skillset is exactly what this young Rockets team requires. His skills actually COMPLEMENT our young team to a T.

Convincing Simmons to be the secondary ballhandler is the real issue.

But if Rockets were able to convince Point Gawd and Brodie, future HOF point guards, to be co-ballhandlers then they should be able to do same with Simmons.

Unless Stone/Silas lack the deft touch that MDA did convincing All Stars and vet players, making them believe subliminating certain inefficient parts of their game and maximizing best parts of their game will allow TEAM to contend for championships.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

It must suck being so insecure you can’t have a discussion.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Discussions with you always end up in some other reality.

Not in the mood to trip on LSD.

16. dmoneybangbang

That’s just your defense mechanism when you clearly get triggered.

Mobley dominated in Summer League just as you predicted? Whoops. Alternative reality I’m sure….

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

See here we go yet again with the alternate realities.

I never said Mobley would dominate Summer League.

You just cant help yourself can you?

18. dmoneybangbang

Lol. Mobley’s number one fan boy on here and you can’t even admit it.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Prove I said it then b****.

You can't so you try and spin this into something else to distract from the actual topic.

Typical.

20. dmoneybangbang

So you never claimed Mobley would dominate on day 1?

I don’t really care…. you have proven how insecure you are when someone disagrees with you regarding one of your GUYs…. Aaron Gordon… Simmons… Mobley

The fact that you immediately went to a personal attack is par the course .

The actual topic is Simmons and you seem to think we can easily flip him if it doesn’t work out. I mention this and you have a little b**** fit.